If you are going on a long trip for camping or a cross-country drive, a roof box is essential for you. They’re good-looking, smooth, durable, and spacious, and they can provide you with a simple and easy solution to your storage problem. A roof box is a simple but very useful solution for the storage problem during a road trip.
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the Best Toyota Lexus LX Roof Boxes. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Overall Best – Thule Force XT Cargo Box
– Editor’s Choice – YAKIMA SkyBox
– Best Value for Money – Sportrack Vista XL Cargo Box
A roof box is a significant investment. Now there are different kinds of roof boxes in today’s market. You’ll want to be sure that you are getting one of the best models on the market, suitable for your specific storage needs. So, let’s see what you should keep in mind if you want to buy a perfect roof box for you and what kind of roof boxes are perfect for your next trip.
Many roof boxes are available in different sizes. The number of cubic feet is being used in measuring the size of the roof cargo boxes. The smallest roof box size is nine cubic feet, and they can be as large as 22 cubic feet or more. You can choose the size of your wish. The size suitable for you depends mostly on the amount and size of the items you want to carry with your roof cargo box.
Advantage & Disadvantage of Roof Boxes:
The most important feature of a roof cargo box is that it provides a lot of extra storage space so that you can carry a lot of cargo. Moreover, most of the roof cargo box is compatible with a huge amount of vehicle designs. Some of them are easy to install and made from durable materials. Some roof cargo boxes also provide the waterproof feature.
The disadvantage of a roof cargo box is that it affects the fuel economy, and in the case of electronic cars, it will lessen the range. They also come with limited space for taller items. But after all, these disadvantages are tolerable in front of the benefits provided by a roof cargo box.
Best Toyota Lexus LX Roof Storage:
1. Thule Hyper XL Rooftop Cargo Box
Thule Hyper XL Rooftop Cargo Box is catchy, smooth, and classy while being extremely easy to use. It is a breeze to put in if you intend on using it on and off your car regularly. If you wish a box that ranks at the highest of the crowd in both performances and appears, the highest Pick-winning Thule Hyper XL could be an excellent option. It retails considerably over other products that work identical basic functions nearly identically. The Hyper XL may be a great cargo carrier but should not be your first choice if you’re shopping on a budget. It’s mainly for folks that are ready to pay a premium for appearance.
Thule Hyper XL Rooftop Cargo Box may be a high-quality cargo box with a secured AeroNose design and a strengthened ultra-thick lid for stability and also decreases noise. The box is outfitted accurately and centered, assuring it doesn’t move in. once you hit the road. It’s quite long-lasting and protected with a look to stop drag and noise.
- AeroNose configuration that enables it to hold drag and forestall sound.
- Carries 4 – 6 snowboards or 6 – 8 pairs of skis.
- The lid of the Thule Hyper box is strengthened with a thick material to assist improve its durability.
- The Base is reinforced with a thick substance to withstand the wind forces when traveling at high speeds.
- Rear-Angled Base and advanced vehicle mounting positions give the simplest attainable trunk and hatch clearance.
- Its AcuTight mounting system ensures your box is secured in the least times, even after hitting the optimal hold.
- SecureLock locking tool securely locks and restricts you from removing the key if the lock isn’t completely engaged.
- The box opens on both driver and passenger sides.
- It costs over other Thule Cargo Boxes.
- There isn’t any visible indicator that confirms if the box is opened or locked.
- The handles don’t seem to be strong enough and crack easily but can last if not pulled too heavily.
- It only is offered in one color and size, that’s a scheme of black and grey.
- Patented AeroNose Design reduces drag and noise making it the most aerodynamic box available.Load capacity 110 lb
- Reinforced Ultra-Thick Lid and Base for maximum durability
- Patented Rear-Angled Base and expanded vehicle mounting points help maximize trunk and hatch clearance
- AcuTight Mounting “clicks” when you reach optimal hold to ensure your box is secured to the rack
- Integrated Light for nighttime loading and unloading
2. YAKIMA SkyBox
Yakima has been a pacesetter within the cargo roof box game a few times, and their essence and arguably most versatile product is that the SkyBox Carbonite. There’s a large range of cargo box designs and appearances on the market, but the Yakima SkyBox Carbonite goes the sweet spot geared capacity for all-season use. In addition, its flexible size fits most vehicles.
This model has contained massive camping gear for a family of 4, including a large tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and a stove, and you can also add a kid’s Strider bike. It needed some tricky packing, but it stores a great amount, especially soft-sided and compressible objects. And for winter-time use, the box easily consumes snowboards and skis. Yakima lists the most length at 185 centimeters, but it absolutely was just long enough for pairs of 182-centimeter all-mountain skis with that you can also take a snowboard.
The Skybox Pro increases the carrying ability of your vehicle by over 18 cubic feet. Using this cargo box, you’ll now easily transport four snowboards or perhaps up to eight pairs of skis.
- Design hits the suitable spot for all-season use: it is a flexible size that matches most vehicles while maintaining the sufficient capacity for skis and ponderous camping gear.
- Both side opening conveniently enables the box to be opened from either the right or left side. You can access it from both the driver’s and traveler’s sides.
- SuperLatch security guarantees your lid is safe to its base and your property is safe. It applies SKS lock cores so that you can use one set of keys for various Yakima products.
- Quick-release mounting hardware fits aerodynamic crossbars, square, factory, and Yakima round.
- The rear of the cargo box is reduced for enhanced hatch allowance.
- Its stiff latches will be challenging to open.
- Aerodynamic shape and comparatively slight 15-inch peak height limit what you’ll bring to fairly low-profile items.
- The top-end surface of the box isn’t smooth, just like the other roof boxes.
- Fit more friends: Add more cargo space so you can bring more friends; SkyBox 12 fits gear for up to 3 people and is roomy enough for skis and snowboards up to 215 cm
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind
- Works with most racks: Fits YAKIMA round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required
3. Sportrack Vista XL Cargo Box
The SportRack SR7018 Vista XL is a superb cargo box for driving without breeze noise. It’s sturdy and comes in an aerodynamic form allowing the wind to glide in a smooth manner. It’s pretty simple to install on any crossbars. It’s a good option for packing your items when traveling distant and needs sufficient space in your car. It’s waterproof and might be protected, keeping all materials safe and secure. The rear opening enables quick entrance far away from the traffic, while the quick-release mounting system provides quicker evacuation.
The SportRack can install right out of the box, saving us many time and energy. This box works by a U-bolt mounting system similar and is incredibly easy to gather all equipment and install. Though requiring the strong, ergonomic grip of the top-rated products, the Vista XL is surprisingly smooth to open and shut. The lid overlaps the underside of the box enough to create a reasonably efficient grip, and you may never have difficulty latching it perfectly. Normally you’ll get what you purchase in this cargo box. While much less visualization than the top-rated boxes, we predict an irregular user would attain value during this box at a fraction of the value of costly boxes.
- SportRack Vista cargo box could be a large cupboard space for your car, and also, the loading capacity is 100 lbs.
- You can instantly construct it on top of your car within minutes without any difficulty because the roof box fits most factory crossbars.
- This box could be a compound of high-quality ABS materials, and it’s durable, waterproof, UV-resistant, and sturdy.
- When required with a rare and unique rear-opening feature, straightforward access enables you to open the roof box from its rear.
- The locks appear not the most effective quality; they provide a reliable and safe lock.
- It can create whistling at high speeds, but its noise levels are quiet compared to other cargo boxes within the market.
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
4. Thule Force XT Cargo Box
Suppose you would like more extra load space for your traveling equipment, snowboards, skiing equipment, or other baggage. In that case, it’s deserving considering buying a rooftop box. One of the most effective cargo boxes available in the shops is the Thule Force XT Cargo Box. It comes in a very smart black design that adds a beautiful look to your vehicle.
This model is a superb choice if you’re trying to find the most effective rooftop cargo carrier. It’s available in a various number of sizes. It’s available in 13 cubic feet capacities, 11 cubic feet, likewise as 17 cubic feet. This can allow users with different luggage bearing capacities must select the model that most closely fits them. Thule Force XT Cargo Box is one of the most reliable products in most online shops that sell cargo boxes.
- Thule Force XT roof box can contain 6 – 8 pairs of skis or 4 – 6 snowboards.
- Aerodynamic shape and the diamond-textured covering on the lid of the roof box help to mount back drag.
- You will be on the road in a quick time, without any extra tools, because QuickGrip installing system comes pre-installed. This system is mounted on the round and square crossbars, and most factory racks join with a one-handed movement.
- Both-side openings let you access your things from both sides of the box.
- The locking system gives an outer lock-assist knob that’s simple to use; a built-in feature symbolizes the key can only be separated after sealed the box properly.
- A user-friendly locking system includes an oversize key; a lock does locate on both sides of the box, and each lock originates with a couple of keys.
- A bit costly but deserving each cent.
- There is some mileage problem. About 3-5 miles per gallon call fuel consumption rate.
- Installing the Thule Force XT could also be easy, but taking it off maybe a little bit of a pain by a minimum of one person.
- An oversized, versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
5. YAKIMA Showcase Rooftop Cargo Box
Yakima ShowCase Rooftop Cargo Box is simply described as an ideal mixture of functionality and elegance. This cargo box is built using high-quality materials which will endure repeated use in difficult off-road situations.
This model will provide you with the help of a strong yet lightweight structure and aerodynamic design that does a good job of decreasing wind protection. Yakima cargo boxes are in the marketplace for quite your time now and are known for their convenience, easy use, and sturdiness. The ShowCase Cargo Box is not any different and offers you all the features you’d want in an exceedingly high-end cargo box.
If you’re searching for a well-designed cargo box for your vehicle, you ought to give the Yakima ShowCase Rooftop Cargo Box an endeavor. Although this box is made to suit the requirements of smaller vehicles and wagons, it still gives you sufficient space to hold everything you wish for your road trip. It’s advised to someone trying to find a well-designed and sturdy cargo box that provides them a service they will rely upon for several years to come back.
- It has a really large space inside so that you’ll use it to store maximum all of your things without concern about space. It can contain 8 pairs of skis or 6 snowboards.
- The finish of it’s immune to fading and scratching. This implies that it stays in top shape even after using it frequently in areas with adverse climatic conditions.
- It comes with inner lid stiffeners that make sure that it continues tightly closed.
- Its aerodynamics design helps to scale back wind drag that keeps your goods at a secure position all the time.
- SKS Locks are incorporated with the Showcase to keep your gear secure. You could not remove the key without lock the box.
- Dual-sided opening for straightforward access on either side of your vehicle.
- Its weight about 46 pounds. That’s why sometimes it gets tough to put in for a few users.
- The bottom surface can get scratches easily.
- Designed with internal lid stiffeners for durability and easy open and close; Fits round, aerodynamic, factory and square crossbars
- Excellent roof clearance featuring metal clamp with molded soft finish
- Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle
- Forward-facing hardware and tapered tail end provide the ultimate in hatch clearance
- Ideal fit for larger vehicles, wagons and SUVs
6. SportRack Horizon Cargo Box
The Sportrack Horizon could be a bare-bones rooftop cargo box that gets the work done. It costs less than other top-rated cargo boxes, but it does simply as effective at carrying snowboards, skis, or other equipment on the rooftop of your car. The SportRack Horizon Cargo Box holds out when it involves stability and portability. The producer has produced many high-quality models that have helped the customers with a strong and reliable service.
The Cargo box’s main advantage is its rock-bottom value related to the premium models, so if you do not desire to pay the equivalent of a replacement pair of skis on a top-of-the-line Thule or Yakima box, the Horizon Cargo Box is where it’s at. Its 11 cubic feet of accommodation can withstand interference to six pairs of skis or three snowboards, up to 210cm long. This sets the carrier except from most budget cargo boxes since they’re typically too short to carry any boards, skis, or other long pieces of drugs. Additionally, SportRack also provides an L and XL variant of this Box if your equipment storage requirements surpass the Box range.
- It has 11 cubic unit spacing, and it can contain 2-3 snowboards and 5-6 pairs of skis up to 210 cm.
- It is produced using a high-end substance made of impact-resistant ABS material.
- This Box gives a fast-release attachment kit that permits you to put in and take away it with ease.
- The passenger-side opening lets you be secure while accessing the equipment from your carrier box.
- They are meant to figure with all SportRack carrier systems and any round bars, square bars, and most OEM roof racks.
- It appears with a lock and two keys, creating it impossible to get rid of the key while the Box is unlocked, making it difficult to ignore to lock the Box.
- Just one side opening while other brands provide dual side opening.
- It has a rather difficult mounting process.
- 16 cubic foot (453 L) cargo capacity
- Made from rugged, impact resistant ABS material
- Passenger side opening for easy access away from traffic
- Easy to install or remove using the quick release attachment kit
- Holds 4-6 pairs of skis (up to 178 cm) or 3-4 snowboards
Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Roof Box:
There are many types of roof cargo boxes on the market to choose from. Keeping in mind the following things will help you find one that is best for your car:
- How easy is the box to attach?
- How can you find your things in it?
- Is the box big enough?
- Is the locking system secure?
- Is the box durable enough?
- Do you have enough storage space in it?
- Is it waterproof?
- What will you do with your roof box when not using it?
- Is the lid designed to open easily?
- Aerodynamics of the box
We hope that our review and expert recommendations will help you find the perfect roof box for you. Your needs are based on the type of product you need to bear with the roof box or your budget. However, our research is always here to help you to find the perfect roof box for you.
When you go to buy a roof box, you will see thousands of options. But you have to choose a roof box that is perfect for you. Whenever you go on any trip, you want to enjoy freedom. And you may know that space is all about choice, so you have to make a perfect decision about buying your roof box. And after choosing an ideal roof box, you will be able to enjoy your trip perfectly.
Every roof box listed here is unique with its unique features. Every roof box is perfect for a particular type of use. You have to make your decision carefully. Remember, why are you buying this roof box and which peculiarities are essential for you. See which roof boxes can fulfill your importance, and then buy the best roof box for your next big adventurous trip.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Last Update : 2023-02-07