If you are searching for a perfect roof box for your Subaru Crosstrek, you have to make sure about the weight carrying capacity of the roof of your car because every car has its roof weight limit. You can get that information from the manual guide of your vehicle. Usually, the highest weight carrying capacity of a Subaru Crosstrek is about 150 lbs. But always check the manual of your car to get the right information because every vehicle is different.
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the best roof cargo boxes for your Subaru Crosstrek. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Best Overall – Thule Motion XT
– Best Soft Rooftop Cargo Carrier – Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Bag
But a question can come to your mind how could you pick the best roof box that is perfect for your Subaru Crosstrek? In that case, we are here to help you. We are working with roof boxes for the last few years/months. We are testing and reviewing them to help you by giving the right information about these roof boxes so that you can choose the best one for you.
Thule is one of the most popular roof box manufacturers. They are manufacturing roof racks and roof boxes since 1942. They have been manufacturing accessories for almost every type of vehicle. There are some other manufacturers also. You can also buy roof boxes from them. We have mentioned some of the best roof boxes for Subaru Crosstrek in this article. After reading it, we hope that you will be able to pick a perfect roof box for you.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Roof Box
The most important feature of a roof box is that it provides a lot of extra storage space so that you can carry a lot of cargo. Moreover, most of the roof box is compatible with a huge amount of vehicle designs. Some of them are easy to install and made from durable materials. Some roof boxes also provide a waterproof feature.
The disadvantage of a roof box is that it affects the fuel economy, and in the case of electronic cars, it will lessen the range. They also come with limited space for taller items. But after all, these disadvantages are tolerable in front of the benefits provided by a roof box.
Best Subaru Crosstrek Roof Cargo Boxes:
1. Thule Motion XT Cargo Box
The Thule Motion XT Cargo Carrier comes with an attractive, aerodynamic, sleek, and durable design. The design is so eye-catching. This box is available in two colors, and those are black and titan. These colors look fantastic with most of cars.
This roof box is very easy to use. It comes with a dual-side opening. So you will be able to get access to the box from both sides of your car. It also makes the loading and unloading of things faster.
This box makes a ”click” sound if you shut the box properly so that you do not accidentally leave your roof box open. It will not make any problem in opening the door of the trunk of your car. Moreover, the included Slidelock system will automatically lock the box if you close the box properly.
This Thule box weighs only 55 lbs. and it comes with 22 cubic feet of storage space. So you will be able to carry a lot of items inside the box. There is also two lighter variants of this box is available on the market that comes with 16 and 18 cubic feet of storage space.
- Simple process to open and shut all told circumstances because of grip-friendly outer handles and protecting lid lifters.
- Improved design for best space effectiveness, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Easy to install with the help of its extra-space, pre-mount Power Click quick-install system. The integrated torque pointer clicks when it’s correctly mounted, ensuring fast and solid fitting.
- Full box entrance with low risk of contact with the cargo box because of its front position on the car roof
- A system called Sideclock, including locking and opening functions, automatically lock the lid in situ and shows when the box is locked securely.
- Comparatively lightweight, only 55 pounds, but it has a large weight capacity of 165 pounds.
- Thule T-track Adapter needed for fitting to Thule Sidebars. Thule WingBar Evo, SquareBar, ProBar and WingBar Edge are perfect for it.
- Roof-mounted cargo box provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
2. INNO Shadow Cargo Box
The INNO Shadow rooftop cargo box comes with a beautiful look & aerodynamic design. It is very easy to install and remove. It also comes with a dual side opening. It is available in a matte black finish.
This INNO box is suitable for the Crosstrek, SUVs, Mini Vans, and Wagons. It also comes with a universal mounting system so that you can mount it with any roof rack.
This rooftop cargo box weighs only 42 lbs. and it comes with 13 cubic feet of storage space. The weight carrying capacity is 110 lbs. Moreover, it can hold 6 Snowboards, or eight skis, or 2 Surfboards without any problem. The Exterior Dimensions of this box are 78.7 x 31.9 x 13.4 inches, and the interior dimensions are 72 x 25.6 x 11 inches.
3. SportRack Horizon XL Cargo Box
This roof box is not as attractive as other roof boxes on this list, but it is a very durable roof box. It is made from high-quality ABS material, so this box will not get damaged easily. You will be able to use this box for a long time without any problem.
The SportRack Horizon XL Cargo Box comes with 17 cubic feet of storage space. It also comes with a quick-release attachment kit so that you can easily install and remove the box from the roof of your car. It has two lower variants also. Those are the 11 cubic feet and 16 cubic feet variants. So if you want something lighter you can buy those variants.
This rooftop cargo box will fit well with most of the aftermarket roof racks. It weighs only 44 lbs. This roof box can give you access from the passenger side only. The weight carrying capacity for this roof box is 50 kg.
- Rugged construction made from impact resistant ABS material
- Quick release attachment kit included for easy installation and removal
- Passenger side opening for access away from traffic
- Fits SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory racks (Check Fit Guide)
- Holds 4-6 pairs of skis (up to 216 cm) or 3-4 snowboards
4. Yakima Skybox Carbonite Cargo box
This Yakima roof cargo box comes with 21 cubic feet of storage space. It weighs only 75 lbs. You will be able to carry skis and snowboards with this cargo box. It can hold anything as lengthy as 185 cm.
This roof box comes with an aerodynamic design. It also comes with a dual side opening making the loading and unloading easier and faster. So that you can get access to the box from both sides of your car. This rooftop cargo box fits well with Yakima round, factory, aerodynamic, and square bars. And the included SuperLatch security system keeps the box secured with the roof rack. So you don’t have to worry about your roof box coming off from the roof of your vehicle. There are also SKS locks included with this box to keep your stuff safe inside.
The Yakima Carbonite Skybox is very easy to install. It comes pre-assembled. This rooftop cargo box also has some lower variants. So if you are looking for something lighter, you can go for those.
- Fit more friends: Add more cargo space so you can bring more friends; SkyBox 12 fits gear for up to 3 people and is roomy enough for skis and snowboards up to 215 cm
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind
- Works with most racks: Fits Yakima round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required
5. Thule Force XT Rooftop Cargo Box
This box is the smallest on our list of ”Best Cargo Roof Box For Subaru Crosstrek”. It comes with only 11 cubic feet of storage space. But in black color, this roof box looks so awesome.
The Power Click quick-mount system makes the installation process super easy for this roof box.
The Thule Force XT Rooftop Cargo Box weighs only 32 pounds, and the weight carrying capacity of this box is 165 lbs. It can fit with most of the aftermarket roof racks. It also comes with Thule’s iconic ‘click’ sound feature so that you can be sure that your roof box is securely closed. This rooftop cargo box comes with a dual-side opening.
It sits slightly forward on the roof of your car, so it will not make any problem in opening the door of the rear trunk of your car.
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Narrow design leaves space for other gear such as bikes, kayaks, skis, and more while providing 11 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range of vehicles; works with most factory and aftermarket roof racks
- Quick and tool-free PowerClick mounting system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted - takes less than 5 minutes to install
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
6. Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Bag
We have mentioned some great roof box options for your Subaru Crosstrek. But if you are looking for something more affordable and convenient, then the Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Bag could be a great choice for you.
This roof bag comes with 15 cubic feet of storage space. There are eight very durable straps so that you can mount the roof bag on the roof of your vehicle.
This roof box is made of very high-quality fabrics. It is fade-resistant, so it will not be damaged in direct sunlight, dust, and rain. Moreover, this roof bag is waterproof. So it will keep all of your items dry and safe inside when you are driving in any wet weather conditions.
This roof bag is very easy to install, and no tool is required. It also comes with one year manufacturer’s warranty.
After your work is done, if you want, you will be able to store the bag in a short space by simply folding it.
- Rooftop cargo carrier bag with 15-cubic-foot storage capacity
- 8 cinch straps with buckles for easy connection to a vehicle’s roof rack
- Waterproof and fade-resistant for protection against dust, sun, wind, and rain
- Oversized zipper closure with stay-dry flaps; strong seams; folds for compact storage; storage bag/carrying case included
- Backed by an Amazon Basics one-year limited warranty
Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Subaru Cargo Box:
There are a variety of roof boxes available on the market. Among them, To choose the ideal roof box for your Subaru Outback, you have to consider the following things:
- Ease of attaching the box
- How you can access your contents
- The size of the box
- How secure the box is
- The durability of the box
- Security of the locking system
- Amount of storage space
- How are you going to store your roof box when you’re not using it
- If it’s waterproof
- Aerodynamics of the box
- If the lid is designed to stay open easily
When you go to buy a roof box, you will see thousands of options. But you have to choose a roof box that is perfect for you. Whenever you go on any trip, you want to enjoy freedom. And you may know that space is all about choice, so you have to make a perfect decision about buying your roof box. And after choosing an ideal roof box, you will be able to enjoy your trip perfectly.
After reading this article, we hope that you now know what to look for while finding a roof box for Subaru Crosstrek. If our article of ”Subaru Crosstrek Cargo Roof Box Buyers Guide” has helped you in finding the perfect roof box for your Subaru Crosstrek, it will be a pleasure for us. However, our research is always here to help you to find the perfect roof box for you.
Every roof box listed here is unique with its unique features. Every roof box is perfect for a particular type of use. You have to make your decision carefully. Remember, why are you buying this roof box and which peculiarities are essential for you? See which roof boxes can fulfill your importance and then buy the best roof box for your next big adventurous trip.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Last Update : 2022-09-27