If you want to go on a trip with your friends or family and want to enjoy a comfortable ride, a roof box is a solution to enjoy the ride with full of comfort by keeping the items in the roof box and not in the passenger seats.
You have to make sure that your roof box is properly and safely attached to your car. But how can you do that?
Here, you will find the way to Fit a roof box on a car quickly, easily, and safely.
Do You Need Roof Bars for a Roof Box?
Yes, of course. Roof bars are very important for installing a roof box. You cannot do that with the help of a rope. You have to find a place for the box to bolt into on top of your car or van.
Suppose your car does not match the standard size of the roof bars. You can then order a set and have them installed so that you can safely install your roof box.
Installing a roof cargo box on top of your car is the easiest way to increase your car’s storage capacity. But you have to install them correctly. If they are installed incorrectly, then they can be harmful to your car.
Installing a roof box is not a hard task. But you have to keep some important matters in your mind before installing the box, such as the weight capacity of the roof of your car or the roof bars weight capacity.
Do Some Research
Before buying a roof box or a set of roof bars, you should always do some research. It would be best if you did not go for the cheapest roof bar options available on the market. Moreover, you should also choose bars that are compatible with the roof of your car and the roof box you want to buy unless you will not be able to use them for a long time.
Can a Roof Box Overhang?
There can be some overhang when a roof box is installed on a car, but you should keep it to a minimum amount. Finding the 100% perfect size of the roof cargo box can be difficult, so buying a roof box that is an inch or two inches bigger than the exact size is OK and will not cause you any problem.
But if you choose a roof box bigger than a couple of inches on each side, it can create some problems, including balance issues. So you will not be able to enjoy a clean and quiet ride. A jerky ride is not comfortable at all, and it is very dangerous.
But still, if you can’t avoid the overhang, you should find a longer, not wider, roof rack. You should find the roof bars that are designed to accommodate longer stuff so that more support can be added to the roof box.
It would be best to choose a roof box that will not interfere with any other road users. So you should not install a roof box designed for an Audi Q7 on a Mini Cooper.
You should not accept too much overlap at the back because if you are driving a hatchback or a car with a trunk door that lifts higher than normal, the trunk can get damaged with the roof box.
There is also a possibility of smashing your rearview window, which is not a good thing. So choose the box which is not too much overlap.
A Balancing Act
After all, it would be best if you also were careful about loading the items in your roof box. You should place your luggage perfectly in the box so that the weight can remain balanced and distributed evenly. Choosing the right roof box for your car will help you in this.
It will be a good decision for you if you go on a short drive nearby your house with the loaded roof box so that you can have an idea about how it feels to drive with a loaded roof box on top of your car. You should also check the breaking to see if it create any problems.
It is better to give it a test drive so that you do not need to pull over on the highway to fix anything or make any adjustments to the roof box.
Do Roof Boxes Fit Any Roof Bars?
Most of the roof boxes are compatible with most aftermarket roof bars. But roof boxes that are long or designed to carry longer items such as skis, fishing rods will need the extra support of other bars.
Check Your Specifications
Again, if you want to fit a roof box that weights a little bit more than the roof bar’s weight limit, then you have to add another bar or two to keep the box stable on top of your car.
Adding the extra roof bars around the original rack or slide will help you evenly distribute the weight of your roof box to your roof bars. The extra bars will ensure safety and security, and they will not interfere with the original rack or bars.
If you want to install a roof rack or roof bars on top of your car by yourself or if you want to replace an old roof rack, you should do some research and make sure that it will fit with your roof box. You have to line up the holes for the bits and bolts.
Roof Cargo Bags as an Alternative to Cargo Box
If you could not find the perfect roof box for you or have issues fitting a roof box on top of your car, you can go for the cargo bags. It is also a beneficial way of increasing the storage capacity of your car.
If you want to install your roof box or roof bars perfectly on the roof of your vehicle, you should install the roof box by following the instructions that come with your roof bars and roof box. If you don’t do that, you can face any problem while you are on the way.
So if you are confused about anything, go and check the instructions and make sure everything is correct.
Moreover, it would be best if you studied the combination of roof bars and roof boxes that you have chosen for your car because both your bars and box manufacturers should have some compatible products designed for the product you have brought.
They should also mention the maximum weight capacity that the box and bars can take together. So you should carefully decide which one you should buy so that you can travel safely and prevent the roof of your car from being damaged once the box and bars are mounted.
Will Roof Racks, Bars, and Boxes Damage My Car?
If you carefully follow all of the instructions by the manufacturer, you will not face any problem, and the roof box or roof rack will cause no damage to your car.
Mind Your Backs
While packing your roof cargo box, you should load maximum weight at the lower end of the box. The manufacturer also recommends it. So you have to be careful. Moreover, roof boxes are bulky things, and they are hard to handle for just one person.
You need anyone to help you mount your roof box on the bars. It will also keep the car from being dented, scratched, or damaged. Moreover, the manufacturer may have recommended a maximum speed limit when you’re driving with the box.
So you should carefully read the manual. If you drive over the speed limit with the roof box installed, then you may face problems, or you might need to stop and fix it before you cause an accident.
When you are installing the roof box, you should also be careful tightening the screws. If you leave it slack, it will shift on the bars and make noises again, or if you make the screw too tight, then it can damage your roof bars and the box. So you have to keep it in a perfect position.
You also have to be careful that you should not go by under a short bridge or go into a parking garage with the roof box installed on top of your car. Because if you hit a low-hanging beam, your roof box can be damaged.
Moreover, the bars or rack also can be damaged or come off from the roof of your car and can cause costly damage to your vehicle. So be very careful if you do not want to spend a lot of money on a roof box.
How Far Apart Should the Roof Bars Be?
When you are spacing roof bars apart, you have to keep in mind that the further you keep them apart, the harder it will be for them to support your roof cargo box’s weight. Most of the manufacturers recommend that bars should be spaced at a maximum of twenty-four inches apart. So make sure that this standard applies to any crossbars that might go along with the rack that is currently in place.
You will need extra support if you want to carry heavier items with your roof box. Adding a different bar or two will help the box in distributing the weight of the bulk.
You have to space the bars at an equal distance from one another so that the box can be evenly supported by the bars. Most roof boxes are made out of hard plastic, so if they fall on the roof of your car, then your roof of the car can be get scratched. A cargo bag also can drop and touch the top of the vehicle.
Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual to know the roof of your car’s maximum weight capacity so that you can decide how many bars will be needed to secure the roof box.
You have to determine what you want to carry with the roof rack and make sure that the roof rack is compatible with that thing. You also have to make sure the safety and add more bars if needed so that the item you are carrying cannot damage the roof of your car.
If you are confused about whether you should stick with what you have or not, then you can look for advice from a professional. He will help you know which combinations are best and even help you prepare your car before attaching the roof box.
What’s the Best Position for a Roof Box on a Car?
It would be best if you spread the stuff’s weight as evenly as possible so that the roof box could not shift hard and you do not have to take any emergency break to make any changes to the box.
If your load is too heavy, you should put some weight in the trunk to make the car more aerodynamic and help airflow.
Last but not least, the less drag on the car, the better it will be for your fuel economy.
An overhanging roof box at the front can interfere with your front view and make it dangerous to drive your vehicle. Roof boxes are usually designed to place them more to the back.
Moreover, it would be best if you always remembered how far back you had mounted the box so that you can open the trunk door without damaging it with the roof box. You should keep an inch or two space between the back of the roof box and the trunk door.
If you have read the full article, we hope it will be beneficial while installing a roof cargo box on top of your car by yourself.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Roof Bars:
- HIGH QUALITY ALUMINUM CONSTRUCTION – Our design features a rigid aluminum body that cuts down on weight without sacrificing strength!
- 150 LBS LOAD CAPACITY – Whether it’s a kayak, mountain bike, or skis, these cross bars will get your favorite toys to where the fun happens!
- SAFE AND SECURE – A heavy duty clamping mechanism ensures the cross bars will remain firmly fastened to the existing side rails, and the keyed locking mechanism will make sure they stay put!
- MEASURES 52” END TO END – Fits a maximum of a 46” span between side rails, providing ample room for your gear!
- RAISED SIDE RAILS WITH GAP REQUIRED – Fits most vehicles with existing raised side rails with gap (maximum 46” span between side rails)!
- High tensil strength Aluminum Crossbar,Metallic silver marine grade powder coat finish
- Unit also contains Instruction manual, 1 Key set, 1 Allen wrench and 2 strip for bottom fillister as optional
- Cargo must not exceed the maximum weight capacity of 200 lbs
- Lockable for more security and Adjustable width for snug fit
- Two size options avaiable:47"L crossbar fits up to 43"width top holders and 55"L crossbar fits up to 52" top holders
- No age limits to satisfy your self.
- Many challenging levels to play.
- Colorful 3d graphics and objects.
- English (Publication Language)
- 【Compatible Vehicle】Tailored feature for 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Honda Pilot with Side Rails (IMPORTANT!), compatible for LX, EX, EX-L, Touring, Elite, Special Edition, Black Edition trims, with the perfect dimensions, it's specially adapted for your vehicle, better than the universal ones.
- 【Solid Addition】This pair of aluminum cross bar replacement is up to 150lbs/68kg load capacity, a rather strong support for your ski/snowboard, kayak, canoe, roof basket, roof bag or bike carrier etc. Versatile for your vehicle with any kind of accessory.
- 【Easy Installation】Absolute breeze to install and it fits like a glove. The easy direction + straightforward video + clear label on the product will provide great assistance to figure out how to install.
- 【High Clearance】The cross bar won't interfere the sunroof at all and has enough clearance to mount the jay hooks or other kinds of accessories.
- 【Warranty Commitment】BougeRV is dedicated to providing premium products for you. BougeRV's 12-month warranty applied to the cross bar sold by BougeRV. If you have any question during use, please contact us for further information.
- Fitment: Universal Fit For Most 4-Door Models Vehicles ( Cars, SUVs, Trucks, etc ) with Naked Roof (**IMPORTANT NOTE: Will not fit vehicles with any types of actual side rails, like integrated side rails, raised side rails)
- Design: Window-Frame-Type Aluminum Roof Rack Cross Bars With Mounts & Locks ( Comes With 3 Different Sizes Of Mounts To Fit For Your Car Models )
- Rail: 48" In Length. Adjustable Distance: 52" Maximum In Length
- Color: Black
- High Quality Removable Roof Rack Cross Bars made of light-weight Aluminum. Durable Tube Construction with Hold Up To a 150lb Capacity. They Attach To Side Window Frames To Transport Luggage, Ladders, or any other cargo
- 🚙【Our Advantage】 Bars made from high grade aluminum, base feet are made of high quality plastic. They are light weight, easy to install and dismantle. Max load capacity is 150lbs (68kg), do not worry about the heavy luggage. The anti-theft lock is mounted on the side rails, comes with 4 keys.
- 🚙【Functions】Great solution if you have oversized items that you need to transport like: kayaks, canoes, luggage, snowboards, skis, bikes, fishing poles and more.
- 🚙【Attention】Fit for 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Chrome/Black Grooved Side Rails (Fits LIMITED, OVERLAND, UPLAND, TRAILHAWK, SUMMIT models. NOT for SRT and ALTITUDE models or any other Jeep Cherokee models).
- 🚙【Updated】We value the feedback from our customers, and we have improved the quality of the cross bars, better packaging and higher quality silicone straps.
- 🚙【Package Content】The package comes with a pair of Cross Bars, four Keys, an Allen Wrench and Instruction Manual.
- Constructed from high quality aluminum frame that is light in weight, easy to clean and will not rust, yet strong and durable
- Features a heavy duty molded clamping mechanism with a keyed locking device to ensure they stay in place and are firmly fastened to the side rails and provide stability. Each pair has a maximum load capacity of 150 lbs.
- Each cross bar measures a maximum of 46" span (useable length) between the side rails to allow sufficient room to accommodate your equipment
- Easy to assemble and can be removed or uninstalled in minutes. Includes installation instruction, 2 keys and a hex key. No drilling is necessary.
- Designed to minimize wind resistance and noise effectively.
- 100% Brand New with Factory Package (Please measure your existing roof rail not over 43" before purchase Please refer picture 2/3/4 for more detail)
- Made by ultra strong and light weight polished silver C.N.C machined aircraft aluminum.
- Adjustable clamps distance : 36" (shortest) to 43" (longest).
- (Please refer dimension and make sure the distance of existing roof rails are not over 43" before purchasing.)
- Built-in locks & keys design provides firmly anti-theft protection.
- Harcourt Brace and Company
- Lasky, Kathryn (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 48 Pages - 02/01/1997 (Publication Date) - HMH Books for Young Readers (Publisher)
- Extended wireless coverage: Adds WiFi range coverage up to 1000 square feet, and connects up to 15 devices such as laptops, smartphones, speakers, IP cameras, tablets, IoT devices, and more
- AC750 WIFI speed: Provides up to 750Mbps performance using dual band and patented FastLane technology
- Universal compatibility: Works with any wireless router, gateway, or cable modem with wifi. The product may not be compatible with routers or gateways with firmware that has been altered, is based on open source programs, or is non standard or outdated
- Wired ethernet port: Simply plug in game consoles, streaming players, or other nearby wired devices using the one 10/100M port for maximum speed
- Safe & secure: Supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols
- 【UNIVERSAL & ADJUSTABLE】Unique clamps grip both raised and flush-mounted roof rails with different sizes and specifications firmly. Greatly enhance clamp scope, strengthen holding power, and make the rack more reliable. Also, an anti-scratch cushion enables paint safety.
- 【EASY TO ASSMBLE】90% Pre-assembled clamps bring great convenience, install the bars directly on the roof rails. You can quickly access the T-slot by opening the plug lid instead of removing the whole thing like others. Featured 4pcs premium locking set for anti-theft.
- 【AERO ALUMINUM】Rigid aero aluminum widened body that cuts down on weight without sacrificing strength! The rack weighs only 9.7lbs but has a max load capacity of 200lbs. Stretchable clamps make the bars fit for a 35.8''-50.4'' span between rails. Compliance with ISO/PAS 11154:2006 article 5.2.5 and 5.3.5.
- 【AERODYNAMIC DESIGN】Fully enclosed with anti-wind rubber strips and streamline design eliminates wind noise or vibration, gives a reduced air resistance of 55%. Matte painted surface makes the appearance more stylish and full of sportiness.
- 【MULTI-PURPOSE】This car roof cargo carrier provides the perfect foundation for installing Camping Gear, Luggage, Fishing Poles, Bikes, Snowboards, Kayaks, Canoes, and other rooftop accessories. If you have any concerns about the product suitability, please feel free to contact us anytime.
- Hard Top Roof Rack Cross Bars Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JK & JL & Gladiator JT 4 Doors Only 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021.Not Compatible with Soft Top and Sky One-Touch Power Top.
- Wind Noise Reducing Strips. High Quality Aluminum Alloy and ABS Plastic Construction
- Load Capacity is 88 lbs, Suitable for Light Off-Road Use,Full-length Bars Provide Plenty of Space for Carriers and Accessories
- These roof racks are assembled by 2 crossbars and 4 mounting brackets. The 2 crossbars are different length that the shorter one is 50 inch for front and the longer one is 50.78 inch for rear.Crossbar width is about 3.15 inches.
- Simple Bolt-on Installation: Factory Hardtops Rain Gutter Mounts
- ★. Child Safety Net - The rope thickness is 6MM. The mesh spacing is 6CM. Support customization, if you have any questions or needs, please contact us by email.
- ★. Safety issues - Many children and pets accidentally fall from the upstairs and let us know that the safety of children and pets cannot be ignored.
- ★. Warm Tips - If you want to see more colors and sizes, you can click on the (BHH) under the heading to go to the store to see more styles.
- ★. Hemp rope net - Safety nets can be used outdoors and indoors, such as stairs, corridors, aisles, windows, kindergartens, shopping malls, restaurants, clothing stores, hanging nets, roof ceilings, climbing, hammocks, swings, etc.
- ★. Stair decoration net - hand-knitted, hand-knotted, bright color, not easy to fall off, the mesh surface has strong impact resistance.
- Tool Supplies:Assembled class
- For Vehicle Type:Cars
- Four-wheel Drive Attributes:Assemblage
- Use:Vehicles&Remote Control Toys
- Technical parameters:Value 2
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Jessica Anne Bogart (Actor)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- F u n k H i t s (CD Album 24 Tracks):
- Audio CD – Audiobook
- International (Publisher)
- Oklahoma City Local News
- English (Publication Language)
- Protect Your Vehicle: Four padded clips protect your vehicle from damage and scratches. The universal roof rack cross bars is adjustable from 34.5" to 49.5", compatible for Car, Vehicles and SUVs with Existing Raised Side Rails with a gap between 1.5“-2.5”. Please check that it is suitable for your vehicle to ensure proper installation.
- Wide Range of Uses: The cross bars provide a perfect foundation for the installation of bike carriers, cargo boxes and other rooftop accessories. Used for carrying kayaks, canoes, luggage, snowboards, skis bikes, fishing poles and so on.
- Less Wind Noise Design: Low-profile and streamlined design makes it effective in reducing wind resistance and noise. It is safer during driving.
- Large Capacity: Made of marine-grade aluminum alloy to support luggage, ladder or cargo with a support weight of up to 150 lbs(68 kg). Provide plenty of space to your gear.
- Easy to Install on Vehicle: Come with necessary installation tools, and easy to assemble and disassemble in a few minutes. The width of this crossbar can be adjusted. The rubber pad on the bottom prevents damage to the car's paint.
- Factory sealed DVD
- Tim Allen, Peter Boyle, Judge Reinhold (Actors)
- John Pasquin (Director) - Leo Benvenuti (Writer)
- Spanish (Subtitle)
- English (Publication Language)
Last Update : 2021-04-16