If you want to go on a trip with your friends or family and want to enjoy a comfortable ride, a roof box is a solution to enjoy the ride with full of comfort by keeping the items in the roof box and not in the passenger seats.
You have to make sure that your roof box is properly and safely attached to your car. But how can you do that?
Here, you will find the way to Fit a roof box on a car quickly, easily, and safely.
Do You Need Roof Bars for a Roof Box?
Yes, of course. Roof bars are very important for installing a roof box. You cannot do that with the help of a rope. You have to find a place for the box to bolt into on top of your car or van.
Suppose your car does not match the standard size of the roof bars. You can then order a set and have them installed so that you can safely install your roof box.
Installing a roof cargo box on top of your car is the easiest way to increase your car’s storage capacity. But you have to install them correctly. If they are installed incorrectly, then they can be harmful to your car.
Installing a roof box is not a hard task. But you have to keep some important matters in your mind before installing the box, such as the weight capacity of the roof of your car or the roof bars weight capacity.
Do Some Research
Before buying a roof box or a set of roof bars, you should always do some research. It would be best if you did not go for the cheapest roof bar options available on the market. Moreover, you should also choose bars that are compatible with the roof of your car and the roof box you want to buy unless you will not be able to use them for a long time.
Can a Roof Box Overhang?
There can be some overhang when a roof box is installed on a car, but you should keep it to a minimum amount. Finding the 100% perfect size of the roof cargo box can be difficult, so buying a roof box that is an inch or two inches bigger than the exact size is OK and will not cause you any problem.
But if you choose a roof box bigger than a couple of inches on each side, it can create some problems, including balance issues. So you will not be able to enjoy a clean and quiet ride. A jerky ride is not comfortable at all, and it is very dangerous.
But still, if you can’t avoid the overhang, you should find a longer, not wider, roof rack. You should find the roof bars that are designed to accommodate longer stuff so that more support can be added to the roof box.
It would be best to choose a roof box that will not interfere with any other road users. So you should not install a roof box designed for an Audi Q7 on a Mini Cooper.
You should not accept too much overlap at the back because if you are driving a hatchback or a car with a trunk door that lifts higher than normal, the trunk can get damaged with the roof box.
There is also a possibility of smashing your rearview window, which is not a good thing. So choose the box which is not too much overlap.
A Balancing Act
After all, it would be best if you also were careful about loading the items in your roof box. You should place your luggage perfectly in the box so that the weight can remain balanced and distributed evenly. Choosing the right roof box for your car will help you in this.
It will be a good decision for you if you go on a short drive nearby your house with the loaded roof box so that you can have an idea about how it feels to drive with a loaded roof box on top of your car. You should also check the breaking to see if it create any problems.
It is better to give it a test drive so that you do not need to pull over on the highway to fix anything or make any adjustments to the roof box.
Do Roof Boxes Fit Any Roof Bars?
Most of the roof boxes are compatible with most aftermarket roof bars. But roof boxes that are long or designed to carry longer items such as skis, fishing rods will need the extra support of other bars.
Check Your Specifications
Again, if you want to fit a roof box that weights a little bit more than the roof bar’s weight limit, then you have to add another bar or two to keep the box stable on top of your car.
Adding the extra roof bars around the original rack or slide will help you evenly distribute the weight of your roof box to your roof bars. The extra bars will ensure safety and security, and they will not interfere with the original rack or bars.
If you want to install a roof rack or roof bars on top of your car by yourself or if you want to replace an old roof rack, you should do some research and make sure that it will fit with your roof box. You have to line up the holes for the bits and bolts.
Roof Cargo Bags as an Alternative to Cargo Box
If you could not find the perfect roof box for you or have issues fitting a roof box on top of your car, you can go for the cargo bags. It is also a beneficial way of increasing the storage capacity of your car.
If you want to install your roof box or roof bars perfectly on the roof of your vehicle, you should install the roof box by following the instructions that come with your roof bars and roof box. If you don’t do that, you can face any problem while you are on the way.
So if you are confused about anything, go and check the instructions and make sure everything is correct.
Moreover, it would be best if you studied the combination of roof bars and roof boxes that you have chosen for your car because both your bars and box manufacturers should have some compatible products designed for the product you have brought.
They should also mention the maximum weight capacity that the box and bars can take together. So you should carefully decide which one you should buy so that you can travel safely and prevent the roof of your car from being damaged once the box and bars are mounted.
Will Roof Racks, Bars, and Boxes Damage My Car?
If you carefully follow all of the instructions by the manufacturer, you will not face any problem, and the roof box or roof rack will cause no damage to your car.
Mind Your Backs
While packing your roof cargo box, you should load maximum weight at the lower end of the box. The manufacturer also recommends it. So you have to be careful. Moreover, roof boxes are bulky things, and they are hard to handle for just one person.
You need anyone to help you mount your roof box on the bars. It will also keep the car from being dented, scratched, or damaged. Moreover, the manufacturer may have recommended a maximum speed limit when you’re driving with the box.
So you should carefully read the manual. If you drive over the speed limit with the roof box installed, then you may face problems, or you might need to stop and fix it before you cause an accident.
When you are installing the roof box, you should also be careful tightening the screws. If you leave it slack, it will shift on the bars and make noises again, or if you make the screw too tight, then it can damage your roof bars and the box. So you have to keep it in a perfect position.
You also have to be careful that you should not go by under a short bridge or go into a parking garage with the roof box installed on top of your car. Because if you hit a low-hanging beam, your roof box can be damaged.
Moreover, the bars or rack also can be damaged or come off from the roof of your car and can cause costly damage to your vehicle. So be very careful if you do not want to spend a lot of money on a roof box.
How Far Apart Should the Roof Bars Be?
When you are spacing roof bars apart, you have to keep in mind that the further you keep them apart, the harder it will be for them to support your roof cargo box’s weight. Most of the manufacturers recommend that bars should be spaced at a maximum of twenty-four inches apart. So make sure that this standard applies to any crossbars that might go along with the rack that is currently in place.
You will need extra support if you want to carry heavier items with your roof box. Adding a different bar or two will help the box in distributing the weight of the bulk.
You have to space the bars at an equal distance from one another so that the box can be evenly supported by the bars. Most roof boxes are made out of hard plastic, so if they fall on the roof of your car, then your roof of the car can be get scratched. A cargo bag also can drop and touch the top of the vehicle.
Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual to know the roof of your car’s maximum weight capacity so that you can decide how many bars will be needed to secure the roof box.
You have to determine what you want to carry with the roof rack and make sure that the roof rack is compatible with that thing. You also have to make sure the safety and add more bars if needed so that the item you are carrying cannot damage the roof of your car.
If you are confused about whether you should stick with what you have or not, then you can look for advice from a professional. He will help you know which combinations are best and even help you prepare your car before attaching the roof box.
What’s the Best Position for a Roof Box on a Car?
It would be best if you spread the stuff’s weight as evenly as possible so that the roof box could not shift hard and you do not have to take any emergency break to make any changes to the box.
If your load is too heavy, you should put some weight in the trunk to make the car more aerodynamic and help airflow.
Last but not least, the less drag on the car, the better it will be for your fuel economy.
An overhanging roof box at the front can interfere with your front view and make it dangerous to drive your vehicle. Roof boxes are usually designed to place them more to the back.
Moreover, it would be best if you always remembered how far back you had mounted the box so that you can open the trunk door without damaging it with the roof box. You should keep an inch or two space between the back of the roof box and the trunk door.
If you have read the full article, we hope it will be beneficial while installing a roof cargo box on top of your car by yourself.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Roof Bars:
- HIGH QUALITY ALUMINUM CONSTRUCTION – Our design features a rigid aluminum body that cuts down on weight without sacrificing strength!
- 150 LBS LOAD CAPACITY – Whether it’s a kayak, mountain bike, or skis, these cross bars will get your favorite toys to where the fun happens!
- SAFE AND SECURE – A heavy duty clamping mechanism ensures the cross bars will remain firmly fastened to the existing side rails, and the keyed locking mechanism will make sure they stay put!
- MEASURES 52” END TO END – Fits a maximum of a 46” span between side rails, providing ample room for your gear!. Tie-Down Features: Adjustable, Lockable
- RAISED SIDE RAILS WITH GAP REQUIRED – Fits most vehicles with existing raised side rails with gap (maximum 46” span between side rails)!
- STRONG CROSSBAR: Made with durable galvanized steel and vinyl-wrapped for corrosion resistance, the RoundBar crossbars are ready for any adventure
- CARRYING CAPACITY: Go on, load it up; RoundBar’s weight capacity is 165 lbs (75 kg) across 2 bars
- COMPATIBILITY: Works with Yakima StreamLine Towers with SL Adapter (sold separately), all Yakima gear mounts and other universal gear mounts
- EASY TO INSTALL: Install the complete system in just 60 minutes; Some assembly required; Required End Caps sold separately or included with RoundBar SL Adapter (sold separately)
- WE’VE GOT YOUR BACK GUARANTEE: Covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Fitment:Roof Rack Cross Bar fit for Cadillac Escalade 2015-2020,for Cadillac Escalade ESV 2015-2020,for Chevrolet Suburban 2015-2020,for Chevrolet Tahoe 2015-2020,for GMC Yukon 2015-2020,for GMC Yukon XL 2015-2020
- Capacity:Made of aluminum alloy have strong Capacity load,weight up to 220LBS
- Easy installation:Installation hardware was included,Install on to factory side rails without any modification.
- Excellent Design:low profile streamline design,efficiently reduce wind resistance and noise.curved upward design to fit your car roof arc,Our roof rack enhance the overall visual appeal, give your vehicle an aggressive look.
- Notes: Please match Vehicle To Compatibility Chart To Ensure exact fitment.When you purchase, Please check and confirm whether this size fits your car.
- Cowvie Roof Rack Cross Bars designed with Universal hook feet, which fit many SUVs or vehicles w/ raised side rails (suitable for 0.8”-2.16” rail width). This Ideal cross bar is perfectly loading for roof top accessories of luggage, snowboard, bike, kayaks, ski, surfboard and etc.,
- CROSS BAR - The cross bars equipped with T-slotted design makes accessories easily attach to the roof or remove quickly. The aerodynamic designed bar helps to reduce the windage resistance, 4 anti-theft keyed locks secure your property while walking away.
- QUALITY - The product is lightweight made with high quality aluminum; the maximum weight capacity is up to 195LBS. The sturdy construction has high standards with its durability and consistency.
- SAFETY - Not only for the high-tech universal design, but the strength of this roof rack cross bars meets TUV, GS industrial standards. Complies with ISO/PAS 11154:2006 article 5.2.5 and 5.3.5.
- WARRANTY - ONE YEAR WARRANTLY, if the product doesn’t fit for your SUV or vehicle type, please feel free to return in 30days, your satisfaction is guaranteed.
- Aluminum crossbars compatible for 2019-2021 Toyota RAV4. Please check your vehicle's Year, Make and Model before purchasing. Fit for standard roof rails only, for regular LE, TRD-Offroad model. DO NOT fit a Adventure model
- Aerodynamic design is applied to the roof rack crossbars, which will eliminate wind noise or vibration even when driving on the highway.
- It provides a perfect solution for the installation of Kayak, Canoe, Bikes, Camping Gear, Cargo Boxes, Fishing Poles, Luggage, Snowboards and other rooftop accessories.
- The internal structure is made of aluminum alloy. It is lightweight but strong enough. The maximum support weight is up to 99lbs (45 KG).
- Easy to assemble and disassemble in a few minutes, no drilling required during installation. The package comes with a pair of cross bars and EASY TO INSTALL BY REFERRING TO THE MANUAL INSTALLATION ON THE WEBSITE.
- COMPATIBILITY LIST - Compatible for 2014-2019 Toyota Highlander XLE, Limited, Hybrid XLE, Hybrid Limited models. NOT for Highlander LE, LE Plus and Hybrid LE models. Please check your vehicle's Year, Make and Model before purchasing.
- VERSATILITY - Provide the perfect foundation for the installation of bicycle carriers, kayak racks, cargo boxes and other rooftop accessories. Made of high-grade aluminum structure. Plastic and rubber base feet for easy installation and removal.
- LARGE CAPACITY - High-grade aluminum alloy can support luggage, ladder or cargo, with a support weight of up to 150 lbs (68 kg). No need to worry about heavy luggage anymore.
- UPGRADED DESIGN - The special water drop design helps to reduce wind resistance and noise. Soft rubber gaskets on both ends of the roof rails to avoid paint damage.
- EASY INSTALLATION - Easy to assemble and disassemble in a few minutes. The package comes with a pair of Cross Bars, Allen Wrench and Instruction Manual.
- Customized design for Jeep Renegade. Must-have equipment to be a complete SUV.
- Aero wing shape, literally reducing wind noise to zero.
- High clearance to roof top, suitable for all kinds of accessories.
- Total Load Capacity 150lbs when evenly distributed.
- Easy installation. All tools and hardware are included.
- High grade aluminum all metal constructed. Load capacity 160 lbs.
- Manufactured by trusted BrightLines. Guaranteed to fit RAV4
- Comes with a pair of crossbars, all hardware and detailed installation instruction
- Full tech support and one year manufacturer warranty
- Cross bars DO NOT fit RAV4 Adventurer and TRD Off-road models
- 🚙【Our Advantage】 Bars made from high grade aluminum, base feet are made of high quality plastic. They are light weight, easy to install and dismantle. Max load capacity is 150lbs (68kg), do not worry about the heavy luggage. The anti-theft lock is mounted on the side rails, comes with 4 keys.
- 🚙【Functions】Great solution if you have oversized items that you need to transport like: kayaks, canoes, luggage, snowboards, skis, bikes, fishing poles and more.
- 🚙【Attention】Fit for 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Chrome/Black Grooved Side Rails (Fits LIMITED, OVERLAND, UPLAND, TRAILHAWK, SUMMIT models. NOT for SRT and ALTITUDE models or any other Jeep Cherokee models).
- 🚙【Updated】We value the feedback from our customers, and we have improved the quality of the cross bars, better packaging and higher quality silicone straps.
- 🚙【Package Content】The package comes with a pair of Cross Bars, four Keys, an Allen Wrench and Instruction Manual.
- Multiple Vehicles (Refer to fitment table)
- Packing Included: Set of two Heavy-Duty Metal Roof Rack Cross Bars
- Simple and Easy Installation. Install & Remove in Minutes.
- Adjustable Clamps for Desirable Length.
- Caution: Does Not Fit Flush Roof Rails. This item only fit vehicle has roof rail. Dimension: Roof Tower Minimum Width 33" to Maximum Width 42". More detail please check our installation guide
You May Also Like…
- The 5 Best Thule Bike Racks
- Best Allen Bike Racks
- The 6 Best Thule Cargo Box
- Best Yakima Cargo Boxes – Review & Expert’s Guide
- Can I Put a Roof Box on a Panoramic Roof?
Last Update : 2021-06-14