Roof cargo boxes are a very important thing while you are going on a trip. Because they can provide you with a lot of storage so that you can carry all your necessary items with you without having any problem, you can even carry fishing gear, skis, and a few extra suitcases with a roof cargo box.
When you are going on a road trip or a trip to the ski slope or fishing hole, a roof cargo box can really be helpful for you. You will be able to carry your skis or fishing rods, or any other gear with a cargo carrier very easily. If you are interested in installing a rooftop cargo carrier on top of your car by yourself, then you should know about some important things before doing that.
Does a Roof Box Need to Be Central?
The answer is NO. You can place the roof box wherever you want on top of your car. You can pick any side. But if you are going to carry a lot of heavy items with your cargo box after mounting it on one side of your car’s roof, then it might affect the balance of your vehicle. In that case, we would recommend you install the roof cargo box centrally. And it would be best if you mounted the roof box on the center unless you do not need to use the roof space for mounting anything else.
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the Best Soft Car Top Carrier. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Best Overall – RoofBag Rooftop Cargo Carrier
– Editor’s Choice – RoofPax Car Roof Bag
– Best Large Soft Roof Cargo Box – STDY Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag
If you do not have any experience of installing a roof cargo box, there is nothing to worry about. You will be able to complete the task very easily after learning a few basics.
While trying to install a roof box sometimes, people might ask whether or not the carrier needs to be positioned centrally.
You should know that it is not important on which side of the roof you are mounting your cargo carrier as long as the opening is convenient for you to get to. Most roof cargo boxes come with a dual side opening so that you can load and unload your items from them more conveniently. But most experts say that it is good to use the passenger side opening because you can load and unload your cargo by staying far and safe from traffic.
After completing the installation process, you should not be worried if you notice that the cargo carrier leans a little toward one side or another. It won’t make your vehicle tilt or lean-to that side. So you have to distribute the weight of the cargo carrier evenly.
In terms of some of the larger SUVs and vans, you might want to place the cargo carrier more center, but this is not really necessary. You might sometimes see that a carrier that is installed more towards one side than the other. You should know that it is because the driver installed it in this way so that he can easily install and open it.
If your cargo box can give you access from both sides, then you can install it in the center to operate the cargo carrier easily.
Rooftop Carrier Installation With Racks/No Racks?
Most of the available roof cargo carriers are made out of either polyester, vinyl material, or hard-shell material. And you will be able to install them whether your car has a roof rack installed or not.
It is very important to find out that if the cargo carrier is compatible with your car and whether it requires a roof rack to get installed or not. Because the cargo carrier requires a roof rack, but you do not already have any, then you will need to buy a compatible roof rack.
Many roof bags do not require any roof rack to get installed. So you can simply tie them onto the roof of your vehicle or attach them with the roof rack you have.
You just have to make sure that it really has the ability to satisfy your needs and whether you want to install it in the center or not.
Installing Rooftop Carrier
Rooftop cargo carriers usually come with two side rails and two or more crossbars. These crossbars are movable and can run across the width of the vehicle’s roof. You will be able to slide apart the crossbars so that the load becomes stabilized, and then you can use brackets and screws to install the cargo carrier.
These screws and brackets create a clamp so that you can attach the carrier to the crossbars. You should always follow the instruction provided by the manufacturer, and it will make the installation of your cargo box very easy. You should know that sometimes installing the cargo carrier more toward one of the sides can seem more convenient, but it is not very important to do.
If you somehow unwillingly install the carrier more toward a side rather than the center, you should know that you do not have to worry because it would not affect the look of the carrier or the way your vehicle moves.
You will see that many rooftop carriers come with a mat that sits under them and protect your car’s roof from getting scratched or damaged in any way.
If you complete the installation properly, the carriers will never damage your car. Still, these mats are provided as extra security so that your car’s roof can always stay safe and undamaged. It also helps the cargo carrier to stay in place.
Carriers in All Price Ranges:
Roof cargo boxes are now available in a lot of designs, sizes, and price ranges. So you can easily find the best one for you that will satisfy your needs within your budget. If you want to see some of the best rooftop carriers currently on the market, then you should continue reading; we hope it will help you to make a good decision.
OverView of Our Recommended Rooftop Cargo Carriers:
1. RoofBag Rooftop Cargo Carrier
- FITS ALL CARS: With or without rack, sunroof, moonroof. The original RoofBag car roof cargo carrier was designed in the USA to safely fit any model car. The generous dimensions of the 15 cubic feet model (48" L, 38" W, 11"-18" H) are large enough to hold the contents of 5 suitcases. You’ll be surprised how spacious it is. It will fit safely on any roof 58" or longer (SUVs, vans, large sedans, pickup trucks). Large Set includes Liner Bags for easier packing and unpacking your rooftop cargo bag
- MOST SECURE DESIGN: Your belongings are safe at any highway speed with the strongest nylon straps: 1.5” wide, 3,000 lbs strong. For increased safety, straps are not sewn to the car roof bag. RoofBag’s exclusive pass-through straps are safe: tested for 18 years. They don’t interfere with side curtains: they enter at corner of door frame. Door hooks or clips are not safe in the US: most US cars don’t have a required lip under door gasket. Tip: If you car has lip, buy door hooks from RoofBag store
- TRULY WATERPROOF: RoofBag car topper keeps your valued contents dry, offering the benefits of a rigid car top carrier and the practicality of a cargo bag. To ensure waterproofness, RoofBag is made from a single piece of waterproof material and has no exposed stitching. The double flap protecting the zipper is semi-rigid and stays in place without the need for velcro. Straps are water-repellent. Zipper is unique: has no gap between the two halves. Tip: install with logo to the rear of the car
- HEAVY-DUTY: Whether you need a roof rack bag or a car top carrier without roof rack, RoofBag is the perfect choice. 18 years of improvements led to a road trip bag made to last, using military-grade fabric that will not peel or tear, is resistant to cold, heat, and UV, and best of all, is free of harmful chemicals, so you can safely carry even baby clothes. Customer satisfaction is ensured by experienced US staff and by a 2-year warranty. Tip: fill bag completely to avoid wind-flapping damage
- QUIET, FUEL EFFICIENT, EASY TO INSTALL: RoofBag luggage carrier for car rooftop is lower at the front, higher at the back for best fuel economy and a quiet ride. Built with heavy fabric to reduce noise, RoofBag was engineered to maximize storage space and fuel economy. We make 2 Sizes: 11 and 15 cu ft, which fit safely on any car. Larger bags than 15 cu ft greatly increase gas use and are unstable and noisy. Tip: fill bag completely to keep aerodynamic shape - Leave 8” clear roof in front of bag
The RoofBag Company manufactures this high-quality rooftop bag. It is compatible with all vehicles, and it does not require any roof rack to get installed. So you will be able to install it easily whether you have a roof rack installed on top of your car or not. This roof cargo bag is available in two size variants. One of them is 11, which is great for both small and large vehicles, and the other one is 15, which works great with vans, SUVs, and full-size sedans.
This roof bag comes with water-repellant straps that are super-strong and long-lasting so that you can install it easily and quickly. This cargo bag is so lightweight. It weighs 8 lbs only. You will be able to get this RoofBag carrier for around 70 dollars. It is very easy to store also when you are not using it. This roof bag is made out of fire-resistant materials. And it comes with an aerodynamic design. It comes with a lot of storage space so you will be able to store everything you need to take with you very easily.
2. STDY Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag
- ☆【 WATERPROOF DESIGN】 Our durable rooftop cargo bag are treated with a pressing process by imported rubber strips and a stronger waterproof performance protection, constructed from 100% waterproof anti-rip, anti-peel, and anti-crack fabric with ultra-strong dual seam technology .
- ☆【UNIQUE DESIGN】 Two kinds of protective measures,the Cargo Bag made by the 1200-Denier Polyester Material after high-frequency pressing from refining into a dense and compact surface, coupled with invisible zipper well-designed magic.Allowing your trip experience more reliable anytime to anywhere even under the hard weather condition.
- ☆【INCREASES CAPACITY】Our Roof Bag Overall Size Is 51'' x 40'' x 17'', Carry 20 Cubic Feet, Larger Than Other Brand. That is very convenient for you to put luggage, sleeping bags and other travel needs of large items placed in the roof rack cargo bag. Easy to store ，it can be easily folded and placed in a storage bag for only a small space when not in use .
- ☆【EASY TO STALL】Firstly，the 6 built-in tie straps cross through the roof luggage rack,and hold the Nylon buckle. Secondly. Use the 6 extra straps through the plastic ring and then through rack, then hold on the buckle. Lastly. There are 2 long straps which can across the whole bag and the roof rack ensure that everything stays in place
- ☆【PRODUCT WARRANTY】You are very important to us, so if this cargo bag cannot fit your needs, just contact us and you'll be taken cared of by our excellent customer service
This STDY Rooftop Cargo Bag comes with 20 cubic feet of storage space. It is very easy to install and comes with a very durable and waterproof design. You can easily store anything in it, including sleeping bags, luggage, and any important accessories.
You can get this awesome roof cargo bag for around 60 dollars. The STDY carrier bag Comes with a very lightweight and aerodynamic design. It weighs 8.7 lbs only. It also comes with a storage bag so that you can store it with that when this rooftop cargo bag is not in use.
If you are looking for a high-quality roof cargo carrier without spending a lot of money, then this one can be a great option for you. |With this cargo carrier, you will never have to worry about your items inside it because it will always keep them safe snd dry no matter how extreme the weather is.
3. Asani Rooftop Cargo Bag
- ENHANCED DURABILITY; 100% WATERPROOF: While other rooftop carrier bags let in water through the zipper or quickly wear out, we’ve designed ours using triple-layer waterproof tarpaulin that weathers rain, wind, grit, or heat, and fitted it with a zipper flap that helps keep your items 100% dry.
- STORE IT ALL: Going camping or on a road tip? This 44” (L) X 34” (W) X 17” (H) car roof bag packs 15 cubic feet (425 liters) of space to give you ample storage room, And unlike a hard car top carrier that struggles to fit odd-shaped items, ours has soft sides that flex to accommodate them. This bag has a maximum weight limit of 99 lbs to account for the weight shifting of the cargo.
- INSTALLATION MADE SIMPLE: You’ll be hitting the road in no time. We’ve included 8 reinforced straps with heavy-duty buckles to easily and securely install the waterproof roof top bag. Whatever your car, this roofbag car top carrier will fit as long as it has a roof rack.
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGN: No dealing with bulky roof rack bags. Ours compactly folds down to the size of a tablet, allowing you to store it in the trunk of your car or inside the glove compartment with space-friendly ease. And maintaining it couldn’t be simpler: all it needs is an occasional wipe.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We’ve backed our soft shell car topper bag with an iron-clad lifetime warranty to give you total peace of mind and the best bang for your buck. Go ahead, add instant cargo space to your car and cruise with confidence completely risk-free!
The Asani Rooftop Carrier Bag comes with 15 cubic feet of storage space, and it is compatible with sedans, vans, SUVs, and even pickup trucks. It is very easy to install, and you will be able to easily store anything with a large or unusual shape because this cargo carrier is very flexible.
It is also very easy to store when not in use. You can simply fold it and keep it in a nice place.
This Rooftop Carrier Bag from Asani also comes with a lifetime warranty. So you do not have to worry about durability. You can get this roof cargo bag for around 62 dollars. So it is a great option for all kinds of vacation and or day trips.
4. RoofPax Car Roof Bag
- ✅ SAFETY COMES FIRST: RoofPax is the ONLY brand that produces its Car Roof Carriers for maximum safety with the Patented 4+2 extra free door hook straps (included), instead of using straps that go inside the car. Tying down any car top luggage involving straps going through the inside of the car is HIGHLY dangerous as they interfere with air bags in case of emergency and are illegal to use in some states. RoofPax is the safest and most secure Car Roof Cargo Bag on the market today.
- ✅ DOUBLE ZIPPERS FOR EXTRA WEATHERPROOFING: This premium quality car top bag is made of military grade materials with TWO waterproof closing zippers, waterproof dual seam technology and water repellent double coating. This roof bag features include a built-in protective mat and 10 elastic Velcro strap restraints to prevent strap flapping. Security features also include a heavy duty SBS zipper, 10 sturdy straps with NIFCO buckles and double strap covers with 8 Velcro stripes.
- ✅ WORKS WITH or WITHOUT a ROOF RACK: Use the RoofPax spacious 19 cubic feet car roof top luggage carrier with any sized car or SUV. It can be quickly and easily installed in minutes using either; raised side rails/crossbars/roof rack/basket and if none of them is installed - you can always use the included 6 door hook straps which attach under the door's rubber seal gasket.
- ✅ EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS INCLUDED: Our set includes the 19 cft. rooftop cargo carrier, 6 patented door hook straps/clips, a TSA approved lock, and a sturdy storage bag, offering you a better and safer solution for safely storing your car top luggage when traveling.
- ✅ FREE EXTENDED WARRANTY: Our customers mean the world to us! We promise to be there for you whenever needed, that's why our cargo rack rooftop is backed by a lifetime warranty on zippers and buckles and a 5-year warranty on tears and fabric. Our 24/7 customer care is ready to address any issues you might have in no time!
The RoofPax Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag comes with 19 cubic feet of storage space. It is made out of military-grade materials, and it is fully waterproof also. So it will easily last for a very long time.
This roof cargo bag does not require any roof rack. So you will be able to install it easily whether you have a roof rack installed on top of your car or not. It is compatible with almost all types of vehicles. You can get this cargo bag for around 120 dollars.
No matter when your zippers or buckles ever break or tear, the manufacturer will replace them without any cost. The logo of the bag also glows at night. It comes with ten straps so that you can securely attach the cargo bag to your car.
5. Thule Pulse Cargo Box
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 11 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
The Thule Pulse rooftop carrier box comes with a sturdy and aerodynamic design. It is available in three different size variants. Those are 11, 14, and 16 cubic foot sizes.
It is very easy to load and unload things from this cargo carrier by accessing it from the passenger side. It also comes with a key to provide you with extra safety and security.
This Thule roof cargo carrier comes with a weight carrying capacity of 110 lbs. It can easily accommodate up to six pairs of skis or four snowboards.
It comes with an aerodynamic design that helps to reduce drag. So with this cargo carrier, you will be able to enjoy and smooth and quiet ride.
6. SportRack Horizon Cargo Box
- 16 cubic foot (453 L) cargo capacity
- Made from rugged, impact resistant ABS material
- Passenger side opening for easy access away from traffic
- Easy to install or remove using the quick release attachment kit
- Holds 4-6 pairs of skis (up to 178 cm) or 3-4 snowboards
This SportRack Rooftop Carrier Box comes with very durable construction and aerodynamic design. It looks great on top of a car. It is very easy to both install and removes. It is compatible with most roof racks.
It is available in three different sizes. It can give you access from the passenger side so that you can load and unload it by staying far from traffic. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty. It has locks that keep all your items secured when you are driving on the road.
It can give you a smooth and quiet ride. So if you are looking for a durable cargo carrier, you can check out this one.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
You May Also Like…
- The 10 Best Soft Car Top Carriers
- 20 Things to Avoid Getting Tired While Driving
- The Roof Box Size Guide
- How to Choose Car Cargo Carriers?
- What Are Roof Boxes Used For?
Last Update : 2022-06-24