Do you have a habit of driving your car at the highest speed on the road? Then, it’s easy to guess that you’ll have a fear that your roof box might be flying off on the highway! Too much fear for personal belongings, right ya?! It’s simple. But, don’t be afraid! Hence, the car roof box manufacturing companies are giving the highest priority to safety issues. Now, it’s safe to use a car roof box.
When traveling at high speed on the highway, you could fear that opposite high wind force might take away your box and its internal products. However, it’s kinda unnecessary to think in that way. The reason is the cargo box is tightly fastened to the roof rack.
We’ll discuss is it safe to use a car roof box? Some things you must know in this article. Let’s go –
Are Roof Boxes Secure? Are Roof Boxes Safe in High Winds?
People who travel often and owners of small vehicles can benefit from cargo roof boxes. But, the big question is – Are these boxes secured enough? The answer is yes. These boxes are safe and secured. Moreover, the manufacturing companies always prioritize the safety of the roof box.
They are designed to handle extreme winds and harsh weather, even on rough terrains. Additionally, their aerodynamic shape assists in cutting the heavy wind pretty smoothly. Since there are things like multiple locks, cords, etc., it’s almost impossible that the box will fly away because of wind.
Nevertheless, you still need to act smart. You have to be watchful with the box. Besides, cargo boxes contain elements like latch straps, lock systems, mounting systems, etc. So, you should install them properly.
Now, we’ll talk about the overall safety measurements of these cargo roof boxes –
Don’t Use it Until it is Fully Secured
What’s your thinking about using a roof box? Are they too simple to use? Nope! But, they’re not hard to operate also. All you need to do is act smart before using them. Henceforth, you should carefully read the instructions to learn the rules and regulations to know how you can safely use the cargo box.
If you take adequate precautions, it will be helpful for you while you are driving your car. You can drive it more safely. Consequently, don’t overload or drive over speed. It will be perilous.
Further, don’t drive the car until you precisely install the box. Otherwise, it could be dangerous. The box has a massive chance of flying off when it is not correctly fastened to the crossbars. On the contrary, many cargo boxes have clamps or straps to tighten the items.
You should ensure that those things work smoothly. The harshest weather condition could make things hard. So, you need to think up for it mentally. The storm, snowy weather, etc., are not that favorable weather for driving along with the car roof box.
Moreover, don’t cross the limit of the capacity of the roof box. Overloading is unsafe. In addition, you have to fill the box according to the filling method. For instance, put heavier items first and then lighter elements in the carrier box. This is how the security measurement increases gradually.
Other risk factors can be present. Those factors are –
- Loose straps
- Improper weight distribution
- Low tire pressure
- Repulsion to the cargo box lock
Our advice is to read the guidance carefully. The manufacturing company knows best and you should follow the suit provided by them. This is how you can reduce the risk significantly.
Proper Installation is Necessary
Do you want to fit the cargo roof box in your car? Good. But, you should know how to install it in the correct method. Therefore, you must read the instructions and follow those steps. Not all the cargo boxes’ installation style is the same. Different boxes require different installation methods.
However, it’s not that hard to learn the process. There are two types of cargo roof boxes – soft-shell and hard-shell boxes. Hence, soft-shell cargo boxes are effortless to install. There are no difficulties at all. But, hard-shelled boxes need special care to set up. They are rigid, good-looking, stylish, waterproof and sexy in whatever way!
Over-torquing and under-torquing both are pretty bad for the box. So, it’s better to tight the thing correctly. Don’t make any errors while installing the product. It could be hazardous.
If you don’t have a relevant idea on how to install the box, we recommend you get help from Google, YouTube, or any professional person.
Type of Car
The type of car you’re using has a considerable influence on the safety of your rooftop carrier. It’s not difficult to understand that a roof box generally increases the gravity center of a car. Consequently, the higher the gravity center is, the higher the risk. You’re enhancing the gravity center when using an SUV or any higher sitting vehicle.
So, you need to distribute the overall weight equally to create a risk-free situation. Suppose you’re on a highway road. Suddenly, snowfall starts with heavy wind. Then, your car is holding an uneven carrier! What would it be like? It will be a frightful situation.
But, things are pretty good for lower-seat vehicles. However, weight balancing is crucial and you should maintain it consistently.
It’s undeniable that the cargo roof boxes are designed to stand against highway speeds and significant weight. But, in this world, everything has its limit. Crossing the boundary is always harmful and it could backfire badly. Different vehicles possess different weight end.
You have to know the weight limit of the car at any cost. Apart from the weight of the belongings, you should know the overall weight of the roof box. Further, you should drive your car slowly and steadily in harsh weather. Running your vehicle at the highest speed in bad weather conditions always brings utter risk.
You are most welcome to use some added safety features for your roof box. For this reason, you can use a safety net to protect your belongings. If somehow your personal things come out from the box, they will be protected within the safety net.
Keep the Box in Tip-The Condition
Always keep the rooftop box in tip-top condition. If you can’t clean it perfectly, better take help from a professional. But, don’t underestimate it. Hence, when you consistently use a roof box – mud, dust, residue, and grease can attach to it. As a result, corrosion can hit the box and it becomes unsafe day by day.
Try to clean it regularly and keep it fresh. Moreover, use the lubricated item if any grease gets fixed in the box. Apart from such tasks, store the box in a sophisticated and dry place when you’re not using it.
Wrap Expensive Products in Plastic
Cargo boxes are waterproof and sealed tightly to reach the water. But, you need to be careful. It will be best to wrap up the expensive products in a plastic bag. As a result, the bag will get an added layer of protection.
Check out Noises
If your cargo box is making noise, you should be careful. Stopping the car and checking everything closely will be a good decision. If something is loose or disconnected, take quick action to fix it. Checking everything thoroughly could prevent potential risks.
Best Seller List of Rooftop Cargo Boxes:
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 14 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
- 【840D CHAMPION QUALITY MATERIAL】 Made with heavy-duty 840D abrasion-resistant PVC fabric, this ultra-durable car roof cargo carrier stands up to any rough treatment or harsh weather. Better still, the triple-reinforced welded seams make it hard to tear or rip for years to come.
- 【MORE THAN WATERPROOF】 Featuring waterproof zipper wrapped with 6 inches widened velcro zipper flaps, our vehicle cargo carriers will exceed your expectations with the waterproof effet. The reinforced seams will make it possible "zero leakage" even in downpours.
- 【EASY INSTALLATION】 Our roof rack cargo carrier comes with an anti-slip mat and 8 thickened adjustable straps that will keep the cargo bag in place. The smooth zipper, adjustable straps, door hooks and robust buckles allows you to effortlessly secure it to any car.
- 【SECURE FIT & LARGE CAPACITY】 Our 21 cubic feet rooftop cargo bag is compatible with vehicles with our without roof rack, the large capacity can keep the shape nicely, even when holding many luggage cases, blanket, tents, sleeping bags and more.
- 【PACKAGE LIST】You will receive 1x roof top carrier bag, 1x storage bag, 1x anti-slip mat, 6x door hooks, 2x extra luggage straps, 1x luggage lock.
- ▶️ This roof top storage box is universal fit for mounting to max 13 inches wide cross bar, please check the dimension before purchase.
- ▶️ The package comes with  53 inches length storage box,  security lock key, and  heavy duty tool free installation mounting brackets.
- ▶️ It is constructed of rugged, impact-resistant ABS material to ensure a long lasting life in outdoor conditions. More, it can open from the side and stay open till you close it with the strong support arm.
- ▶️ Opens on the passenger side to 14 inches wide to store bulky items from the side and stays open till you close it, and it is very easy to install without any tool required to assembly.
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H | Capacity: 11 Cubic Feet and up to 110 LBS
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Secure & protect your gear in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell vehicle cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- Waterproof storage for your luggage with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- Easy & convenient loading and unloading from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- No tools required, easy assembly and installation. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- Made in USA, limited lifetime guarantee. The JEGS car top carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
- 【UNIVERSAL】This extra long rooftop cargo carrier fits for vehicles with cross bars only, no tool assembly & installation. Increases vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort.
- 【LARGE CAPACITY】Rooftop cargo box provides 11 cubic feet of additional storage space. The maximum storage capacity of 110lbs when evenly distributed. And it can be opened up to 14" wide to store bulky items.
- 【ROBUST DESIGN】Constructed of rugged, impact-resistant ABS material for long-lasting durability, able to protect your contents from exposure to the inclement weather.
- 【SECURITY LOCKING SYSTEM】Includes key and lock to secure valuables in the box, to ensure cargo safety and s proper lid alignment. It can open from the side and stays open til you close it.
- 【SPECIFICATION】Size: 11 Cubic Feet Internal Storage, 110lbs Max Capacity | Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H | Surface Finish: Black Texture Finish
- 100% WATERPROOF &TEARPROOF MATERIAL - Made of 100% waterproof material, 700D PVC tarpaulin, Grid material with High frequency voltage technology, durable and heavy duty style bag;
- EASY TO USE - The MeeFar XBEEK roof bag come with 1x anti-slip mats, 1x luggage lock, 6x security hooks, and 1x storage box, it can be quickly and easily installed in minutes; Made of soft shell material, it can be folded into the storage bag to save space while not in use;
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY - The MeeFar XBEEK roof bag can be used with any sized car or SUV, work both with car with or without roof rack;
- MORE SECURITY - Come with BONUS combination lock, it will not only prevent the zippers from slipping, but also adds security to luggage;
- LARGE STORAGE SPACE - 20 cubic feet 51” (L) X 40” (W) X 17” (H) rooftop cargo bag allows you to hold 4-6 suitcases, travel luggage case, tents, sleeping bags and more.
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External Dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 in
Now, the question comes again – is it safe to use a car roof box? Yes, of course! Why not? It’s an expensive product and is designed to fit suitably on your car’s rooftop. Moreover, the aerodynamic shape and sturdy materials make this box strong and wind-resistance.
However, you must follow the guidelines properly and pack your belongings perfectly. This is how you can avoid risk or disaster. So, mind these instructions and have your ride!
Last Update : 2023-06-10