A car roof box is a storage box that’s securely added to the top of your vehicle. These boxes are ideal for anyone who spends lots of their time on the highway with friends or family, plus they are available in every kind of various styles and sizes to accommodate distinct requirements. The storage container basically acts as a sort of a second trunk that sits on the top of your car.
Yakima Skybox 12 vs 16 vs 18 vs 21 Comparison
Once you install a roof box, you’ll never more need to suffer about packing all of your stuff within the back of the car. Moreover, your car gains more security after installing a roof box at the top of the car. Because leaving your baggage in the backseat immediately makes your car an objective for criminals.
There are lots of cargo boxes available within the market now. With such a large number of different brands, shapes, and sizes, choosing the right cargo box will be difficult. If you have been trying to find a good cargo box, you’ve presumably heard of the Yakima Skybox. It’s one of the popular choices out there, and it’s successful for several reasons.
A number of its noticeable features are its sleek aerodynamic shape, Carbonite textured lid, sided opening facility, SKS locking system, and more importantly, it’s made with up to 80% recycled material.
Yakima Skybox offers five different sizes in its series like Yakima skybox 12, Yakima skybox 16, Yakima skybox 18, Yakima skybox 21, and plenty more. It helps the user to search out in line with their necessity of space. Also, there are some extra features in numerous available sizes.
This article will provide some information on vital features about the various Yakima Skybox Roof box that may facilitate your decision on which one is ideal for you. Let’s begin.
Yakima Skybox 12 Review
At first, we’ll observe Yakima’s smallest roof box, Yakima Skybox 12. This rooftop cargo that’s going to offers us 12 cubic feet of space for storing. It’s a pleasant textured black polish, also got a pleasant smooth aerodynamic form. Which will help decrease any wind sound or drag, shake and help prevent any fuel economy decline.
Overall, the box measures 92″ long, 24″ wide, and encompasses a height of 15″. Its base does have a pleasant flat finish to it. It’s going to make it very easy to mount on various types of vehicles. The new Endoskel technology makes it thrice stiffer than the other old skyboxes.
This Yakima Skybox goes to supply a decent easy one-handed operation of opening and shutting the box. It’s made with excellent enduring ABS plastic, it prevents any scratches, and its Super Latch is great that does not twist anymore, just like the previous Skybox roof boxes. You’ll find two keys of two SKS or Single Key System lock cores.
You have got to completely close the box to lock it because it won’t allow you to lock it without proper closing. A pleasant solid bar that comes around the front of our carrier makes attachments to our dual-sided joint to permit our box to open from both the traveler and driver sides. It will provide room for up to 5 pairs of skis or six snowboards, presenting it really convenient.
- Quick-release mounting tool outfits Yakima circle, squared, factory, and aerodynamic crossbars
- Skybox 12 Carbonite Cargo Roof Box is created from up to 80% recycled ABS plastic
- SKS lock cores are incorporated with the Yakima Skybox 12 Carbonite Cargo Roof Box
- Double side opening conveniently enables the box to be opened from either the proper or left side
- Produced with internal lid stiffeners for attached rigidity
- Twelve cubic feet is ideal for storing equipment for up to 2 campers and can fit snowboards and skis up to 215cm lengthy
- The back of the cargo box is reduced for upgraded hatch clearing
- Super Latch security helps assure your cover is reliable to its foundation to safeguard your gear
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind
- Works with most racks: Fits Yakima round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required
Yakima Skybox 16 Review
This roof box is one of the top popular cargo boxes that provide perfect space for users who need an average extra space. The Skybox 16 has 16 cubic feet of space for equipment or camping material for up to three people. The aerodynamic, low-profile design and the dimpled cover with Carbonite surface help cut back wind noise and drag.
The box opens and closes from each side and is intended to produce clearance once you open your rear hatch. Sliding clamps support most crossbar styles and spread, so you’ll install the whole box in a quick time without tools.
The long-lasting yet light in weight plastic construction blocks twisting, bending, or breaking. This Skybox has Super Latch security bars on either side to confirm that the cover is totally enclosed. The Super Latch restricts you from separating the key from the lock, except all three inner locks are engaged. It’s an undercut tail designed to forestall barriers together with your vehicle’s rear hatch or container.
This tail gives extra space for your hatch to open compared to boxes without the undercut tail fully. The Skybox installs with mounting clamps that slide along tracks within the floor of the box. These clamps fit most crossbar styles, and they adjust for various crossbar spreads.
- Incorporates SKS lock cores
- Made from up to 80% reused ABS plastic
- Created with inner lid stiffeners for added rigidity
- Super Latch security guarantees your cover is protected to its base, and your property is secure
- Both side opening allows the box to be controlled from either the right or left side
- Quick-release installing tools fits Yakima circle, squared, factory, and aerodynamic crossbars
No products found.
Yakima Skybox 18 Review
It is one in all the massive cargo boxes of the Yakima Skybox series. It’s maximum all the features of the smaller versions of Skybox. The Skybox 18 provides 18 cubic feet of space for your extra travel equipment or sports material or four people.
The utmost weight capacity for our cargo boxes is 165 lbs., but this varies depending on the cars. You’ll easily install it in your car with no extra tools. you’ll need your relatives or family members at the installation time because it weighs 52 lbs., which is difficult to pull for one person.
It also fits on any crossbar styles, and that they adjust for various crossbar spreads. You’ve got to free the knobs and place them in your required location by sliding the clamp. You’ll get the SKS locking system, and since of that, you cannot lock your box without properly closing it. So, you’ll drive your car with more relief, and its smooth aerodynamic shape reduces wind noises and drag. Just like the other Skybox roof box, you’ll open it from each side of the car.
- Smooth, aerodynamic Carbonite textured cover
- No arrangement required
- Tool-free establishment/relocation from the vehicle
- It Fits Yakima in different shapes and sizes and aerodynamic crossbars
- Designed with interior cover stiffeners for stability and simply open and shut
- Super Latch security guarantees your lid is protected to its base, and your things are safe
- Dual-sided opening for straightforward entrance on both sides of your car
- Tapered form decreases hatch resistance
- Stores material for up to 4 travelers; fits skis and snowboards up to 215cm
- Made within the United States with up to 80% recovered substance
- It appears with Yakima SKS Locks
No products found.
Yakima Skybox 21 Review
If you’re trying to find a high-quality model storage box for your car, then the Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite Cargo Box could be an excellent match. This box gives you a vast interior, allowing you to store sporting, touring, and far more material comfortably. The reliable latch will make sure that things are secure. You do not need to worry about fitting the box because it comes with all the mandatory tools and rails to put in on the roof of your car. Additionally, this container will give your car a classy look due to its new Carbonite outcome.
The Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite Cargo Box encompasses 90 inches long and may hinder 21 cubic feet. Emphasizing a width of 36 inches and 20 inches high, this model is thick based on the other models sold in the stores. Its spacious inside makes it ideal for storing all your extra camping equipment at the time of summer, ski, or snowboarding throughout the winter. The space of 21 cubic feet is big enough to accommodate gear for up to 5 members. You do not need to assemble its parts to put in it, and also, no extra tools are needed.
- Skybox 21 Carbonite Cargo Roof Box is formed from up to 80% reused ABS plastic
- Double side opening conveniently enables the box to be opened from either the right or left side
- Super Latch protection helps ensure your lid is safe to its base and your properties are protected
- The back of the cargo box is lessened for enhanced hatch removal
- Quick-release mounting hardware fits Yakima round, square, factory, and aerodynamic crossbars
- 21 cubic feet is ideal for hauling equipment for up to five tourists; it’ll also outfit snowboards and skis up to 215cm long
- SKS lock cores are added with the Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite Cargo Roof Box
- Created with inner cover stiffeners for appended rigidity
- Fit more friends: Add more cargo space so you can bring more friends; SkyBox 21 fits gear for up to 5 people and is roomy enough for skis and snowboards up to 215 cm.
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference.
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle.
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind.
- Works with most racks: Fits YAKIMA round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required.
Yakima Skybox comes in various sizes of roof boxes. Each of them has the best quality to satisfy your desire and do the job of bearing a large amount of equipment perfectly. It uses the latest technology to install it easily, and the best thing is you can mount it any design of crossbars. The features are quite similar in different sizes. Based on your use case, you can choose your perfect size. You can rely on its quality without any hesitation.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Last Update : 2023-12-02