Nowadays, using a roof cargo box to increase a car’s storage space is the most famous way. Many manufacturers make different kinds of roof cargo boxes. And you can get those in different shapes and sizes and colors. So choosing the perfect roof box for you can be a little challenging.
If you have a little idea about roof boxes and are looking for a right roof cargo box, you must have heard about the Yakima SkyBox Pro 18. Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 is one of the most famous roof box options available on the market, and it is famous for some reason. Do you want to know what those are?
If you are interested in the Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 and you want to know more about it. Then our article could be beneficial for you. Because in this article, you will find every detail about this roof cargo box, including why people like this roof box and how much you will be able to carry with it.
Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 Overview
Before we go to find all the details about the Yakima SkyBox Pro 18, let’s have a look at the details of this roof cargo box:
- The Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 comes with 18 cubic feet (509 liters) of storage space.
- The size dimensions of this box are 92″(l) x 16″(h) x 36″(w).
- It weighs 23.59kg or 52lb. It comes with a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.
- Moreover, this box is very easy to install, and the installation process does not require any tool.
What makes the Yakima Skybox Pro 18 so special?
The Yakima Skybox Pro 18 is an excellent and very famous roof cargo box. It can handle your stuff so well. Moreover, it can carry skis also. So in winter, if you want to ski with your skis, you don’t have to worry about enough storage space.
Yakima Skybox Pro 18 comes with 18 cubic feet of storage space. So you will be able to carry eight pairs of skis and four snowboards with this roof box without having any problem.
In the warmer seasons, you can use it for family camping trips. You will be able to carry all of the camping equipment with this roof box. Moreover, you will be able to carry fishing rods also. So if you want, you can also go on fishing with this roof cargo box. And if you are not using it, you will be able to remove it from the roof of your car within a minute.
Ski boxes are small, and they are harder to mount on the roof of your vehicle, and they do not secure your skis perfectly. Moreover, they make noise when you are driving. And the installation process is not so easy. So it is better to buy a roof cargo box instead of a ski box.
The Yakima Skybox Pro 18 is bigger. So it comes with more storage space, and it is easier to mount. When you are driving with this roof box, it does not make so much noise—this roof box is designed aerodynamically so that the design can help you reduce the fuel economy.
The design of the Yakima Skybox Pro 18 is very attractive and sturdy. It comes with the “Endo-Skel lid technology” from Yakima. Because of this technology, it remains so quiet when you are driving with this box installed.
This technology is very useful and effective. It makes the box three times stronger than previous Yakima roof cargo boxes. Also, it makes the opening and closing of this box very easy.
The width of this roof box is three feet. It comes with a dual-sided opening that makes it easier to get access to this box. And it happens because of the double-wishbone hinges at both sides of the roof box.
These wishbone hinges are loaded with springs that make it easier to get the lid’s grip in wet and cold conditions. You don’t face any difficulty opening the box, even if you are wearing gloves in winter.
A ski box generally takes several hours to get installed on the roof of your car. But with the modern rooftop cargo boxes, it only takes a few minutes to install them.
With the tool-free quick install mount of the Yakima Skybox pro 18, the installation process has become easier. What you have to do to install this roof box is:
- Carefully place your Skybox pro 18 on your roof rack. It will be better if you have another pair of hands to help you.
- Adjust the mounting hardware on the box so that the spacing fits your roof rack
- Release the box’s mounting hardware clamps
- Make minor adjustments to the pressure to optimize contact between your box and the roof rack.
- Pull down the levers.
This Installation will take nearly three minutes, and no extra tool is required. You will need just a pair of helping hand to mount it (at step 1) because this roof cargo box from Yakima weighs 52 pounds.
You can install the skybox on different kinds of factory crossbar car racks. If you have installed it once on the roof of your car, the fittings stay in place, so the second time when you go to install it on your roof rack, the installation takes less time than before.
The design of the Yakima Skybox Pro 18 does not make any problem in opening the door of the rear trunk of your car. It allows you to get full access to the trunk without being worried about damaging your car or the box.
Moreover, the Onyx version of the Yakima Skybox Pro 18 comes with a UV and scuff resistant finish. Because of this UV protection, this box’s shiny black exterior won’t get damaged by UV rays.
Yakima is producing a petroleum-based product, but they are also thinking about their carbon offset and recycling efforts. Moreover, they make their roof cargo boxes from recycled ABS plastic that is recycled up to 80%. They use ABS instead of fiberglass because ABS is lighter and cheaper than fiberglass. ABS is very strong, though.
The weight of a roof box is a very important point to consider. Because, with a lighter roof box, you will be able to carry more stuff without getting your roof box overweighted.
With this box’s locking system, there is no chance of forgetting your key inside the box. After closing the box, you have to engage all three latches so that the handle can flip to the closed position. After these, you will be able to remove the key.
Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 comes with a lifetime warranty. It is available in four different sizes. They are 12, 16, 18, 21 cubic feet sizes. Moreover, it is available in four different color combinations matte black, polished titanium, shiny silver, and onyx.
- Sleek aerodynamic Carbonite textured lid; Designed with internal lid stiffeners for durability and easy open and close
- SuperLatch security ensures your lid is secure to its base, and your gear is safe; Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle; Tapered design reduces hatch interference
- No assembly required; Tool-free installation/removal from vehicle; SKS Locks included
- Fits Yakima round, square, factory, and aerodynamic bars; Minimum and maximum crossbar spreads: 24" - 42"
- Hauls gear for up to 5 campers; fits snowboards and skis up to 215cm; Available in five sizes: Lo, 12, 16, 18, and 21 cubic feet
This roof box from Yakima comes with a sleek design. It also comes with a massive amount of storage space. A few days ago, Yakima boxes had a couple of reports of the key breaking off in the lock, but this one was very strong. This roof box is very good at handling delicate items such as soft luggage, sports gear, tents, and sleeping bags. Overall, this is a great roof box, and we recommend it for your next trip.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller Cargo Boxes:
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 14 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
- ▶️ This roof top storage box is universal fit for mounting to max 13 inches wide cross bar, please check the dimension before purchase.
- ▶️ The package comes with  53 inches length storage box,  security lock key, and  heavy duty tool free installation mounting brackets.
- ▶️ It is constructed of rugged, impact-resistant ABS material to ensure a long lasting life in outdoor conditions. More, it can open from the side and stay open till you close it with the strong support arm.
- ▶️ Opens on the passenger side to 14 inches wide to store bulky items from the side and stays open till you close it, and it is very easy to install without any tool required to assembly.
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H | Capacity: 11 Cubic Feet and up to 110 LBS
- 11 cubic foot (311 L) cargo capacity
- Made from rugged, impact resistant ABS material
- Narrow and long profile is ideal for skis/snowboards and leaves room on your roof rack to mount other accessories
- Passenger side opening for easy loading and unloading away from traffic
- Easy to install or remove using the quick release attachment kit
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Narrow design leaves space for other gear such as bikes, kayaks, skis, and more while providing 11 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range of vehicles; works with most factory and aftermarket roof racks
- Quick and tool-free PowerClick mounting system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted - takes less than 5 minutes to install
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Secure & protect your gear in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell vehicle cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- Waterproof storage for your luggage with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- Easy & convenient loading and unloading from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- No tools required, easy assembly and installation. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- Made in USA, limited lifetime guarantee. The JEGS car top carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
- DUAL-SIDE OPENING FOR EASY ACCESS: Dual-side opening design allows you to open it from either the driver side or the passenger side, which brings more convenience for loading and unloading.
- FAIR CAPACITY: With 14.85 cubic feet maximum storage capacity and 150lbs loading capacity, the roof cargo carrier can allow for more space in your car. What’s more, its streamlined design will reduce drag and noise during driving.
- LOCKING SYSTEM FOR SAFETY: It is designed with locks on both sides and comes with keys for protecting your valuables. And the stiffeners at the bottom of the roof cargo box strengthen its stability.
- EASY TO INSTALL: It is simple in structure and light in weight (approximately 24.25lbs). It won’t be difficult for you to lift it and install it to your car. And it can work with most vehicles with crossbars, such as car, suv, van, etc.
- QUALITY MATERIAL FOR DURABILITY & BETTER PROTECTION: Made from ABS material for long-lasting use. And it can protect your luggage or equipment from being exposed to sun, rain or dust. And it is protected with 3-Year Warranty. Any problem, please feel free to contact us.
- 【Most Safe Design】: For security reasons, we use 10 reinforced adjustable straps to keep the cargo carrier in place. In addition, equipped with free anti-slip mat to keep the cargo bag stay in place even in high speed road or bump road, no slip, no scratch to your car.
- 【Large Storage Space】: FIVKLEMNZ roof bag (52 x 40 x 17 inches) was designed to solve the problem of limited storage space in the car. 21 cubic feet rooftop cargo bag allows you to hold 6-8 suitcases, travel luggage case, tents, sleeping bags and more. Free up inside vehicle space for more comfortable on the way.
- 【Easy to Install】：FIVKLEMNZ rooftop cargo carrier fits for any car, truck, or SUV. If there is not roof side rails on your car, it can be quickly and easily installed to roof rack in minutes with 6 door hooks.
- 【100% Waterproof】: Made of 700D Oxford cloth, Fivklemnz roof bag adopts a genuine waterproof zipper, used in extreme weather and is protected with a double flap. All seams are heat welded and stitched to ensure they are watertight. 100% waterproof and rainproof under extreme weather.
- 【100% Refund or Replacement】：7x24 online customer support, ask us anything at any time. Backed by 30 days money-back guarantee and 12 months limited warranty.
- CONSTRUCTION: Constructed of Rugged, Impact-Resistant ABS Material with Black Texture Finish for Durability
- OVERALL DIMENSION: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H; Opens to 14" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- CAPACITY: 110 lbs and 11 cu. ft.
- STRENGTH: With Strong Support Arm, Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- NOTE: Attaches to Vehicles with Cross Bars Only
.You May Also Like…
- The 9 Best Honda Odyssey Cargo Boxes
- The 8 Best Ski Racks for SUVs
- The Best Thule Ski Rack
- Can you Use a Roof Box on Rental Car?
- The 10 Best Roof Boxes
Last Update : 2022-05-21