Nowadays, using a roof cargo box to increase a car’s storage space is the most famous way. Many manufacturers make different kinds of roof cargo boxes. And you can get those in different shapes and sizes and colors. So choosing the perfect roof box for you can be a little challenging.
If you have a little idea about roof boxes and are looking for a right roof cargo box, you must have heard about the Yakima SkyBox Pro 18. Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 is one of the most famous roof box options available on the market, and it is famous for some reason. Do you want to know what those are?
If you are interested in the Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 and you want to know more about it. Then our article could be beneficial for you. Because in this article, you will find every detail about this roof cargo box, including why people like this roof box and how much you will be able to carry with it.
Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 Overview
Before we go to find all the details about the Yakima SkyBox Pro 18, let’s have a look at the details of this roof cargo box:
- The Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 comes with 18 cubic feet (509 liters) of storage space.
- The size dimensions of this box are 92″(l) x 16″(h) x 36″(w).
- It weighs 23.59kg or 52lb. It comes with a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.
- Moreover, this box is very easy to install, and the installation process does not require any tool.
What makes the Yakima Skybox Pro 18 so special?
The Yakima Skybox Pro 18 is an excellent and very famous roof cargo box. It can handle your stuff so well. Moreover, it can carry skis also. So in winter, if you want to ski with your skis, you don’t have to worry about enough storage space.
Yakima Skybox Pro 18 comes with 18 cubic feet of storage space. So you will be able to carry eight pairs of skis and four snowboards with this roof box without having any problem.
In the warmer seasons, you can use it for family camping trips. You will be able to carry all of the camping equipment with this roof box. Moreover, you will be able to carry fishing rods also. So if you want, you can also go on fishing with this roof cargo box. And if you are not using it, you will be able to remove it from the roof of your car within a minute.
Ski boxes are small, and they are harder to mount on the roof of your vehicle, and they do not secure your skis perfectly. Moreover, they make noise when you are driving. And the installation process is not so easy. So it is better to buy a roof cargo box instead of a ski box.
The Yakima Skybox Pro 18 is bigger. So it comes with more storage space, and it is easier to mount. When you are driving with this roof box, it does not make so much noise—this roof box is designed aerodynamically so that the design can help you reduce the fuel economy.
The design of the Yakima Skybox Pro 18 is very attractive and sturdy. It comes with the “Endo-Skel lid technology” from Yakima. Because of this technology, it remains so quiet when you are driving with this box installed.
This technology is very useful and effective. It makes the box three times stronger than previous Yakima roof cargo boxes. Also, it makes the opening and closing of this box very easy.
The width of this roof box is three feet. It comes with a dual-sided opening that makes it easier to get access to this box. And it happens because of the double-wishbone hinges at both sides of the roof box.
These wishbone hinges are loaded with springs that make it easier to get the lid’s grip in wet and cold conditions. You don’t face any difficulty opening the box, even if you are wearing gloves in winter.
A ski box generally takes several hours to get installed on the roof of your car. But with the modern rooftop cargo boxes, it only takes a few minutes to install them.
With the tool-free quick install mount of the Yakima Skybox pro 18, the installation process has become easier. What you have to do to install this roof box is:
- Carefully place your Skybox pro 18 on your roof rack. It will be better if you have another pair of hands to help you.
- Adjust the mounting hardware on the box so that the spacing fits your roof rack
- Release the box’s mounting hardware clamps
- Make minor adjustments to the pressure to optimize contact between your box and the roof rack.
- Pull down the levers.
This Installation will take nearly three minutes, and no extra tool is required. You will need just a pair of helping hand to mount it (at step 1) because this roof cargo box from Yakima weighs 52 pounds.
You can install the skybox on different kinds of factory crossbar car racks. If you have installed it once on the roof of your car, the fittings stay in place, so the second time when you go to install it on your roof rack, the installation takes less time than before.
The design of the Yakima Skybox Pro 18 does not make any problem in opening the door of the rear trunk of your car. It allows you to get full access to the trunk without being worried about damaging your car or the box.
Moreover, the Onyx version of the Yakima Skybox Pro 18 comes with a UV and scuff resistant finish. Because of this UV protection, this box’s shiny black exterior won’t get damaged by UV rays.
Yakima is producing a petroleum-based product, but they are also thinking about their carbon offset and recycling efforts. Moreover, they make their roof cargo boxes from recycled ABS plastic that is recycled up to 80%. They use ABS instead of fiberglass because ABS is lighter and cheaper than fiberglass. ABS is very strong, though.
The weight of a roof box is a very important point to consider. Because, with a lighter roof box, you will be able to carry more stuff without getting your roof box overweighted.
With this box’s locking system, there is no chance of forgetting your key inside the box. After closing the box, you have to engage all three latches so that the handle can flip to the closed position. After these, you will be able to remove the key.
Yakima SkyBox Pro 18 comes with a lifetime warranty. It is available in four different sizes. They are 12, 16, 18, 21 cubic feet sizes. Moreover, it is available in four different color combinations matte black, polished titanium, shiny silver, and onyx.
This roof box from Yakima comes with a sleek design. It also comes with a massive amount of storage space. A few days ago, Yakima boxes had a couple of reports of the key breaking off in the lock, but this one was very strong. This roof box is very good at handling delicate items such as soft luggage, sports gear, tents, and sleeping bags. Overall, this is a great roof box, and we recommend it for your next trip.
- Sleek aerodynamic Carbonite textured lid; Designed with internal lid stiffeners for durability and easy open and close
- SuperLatch security ensures your lid is secure to its base, and your gear is safe; Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle; Tapered design reduces hatch interference
- No assembly required; Tool-free installation/removal from vehicle; SKS Locks included
- Fits Yakima round, square, factory, and aerodynamic bars; Minimum and maximum crossbar spreads: 24" - 42"
- Hauls gear for up to 5 campers; fits snowboards and skis up to 215cm; Available in five sizes: Lo, 12, 16, 18, and 21 cubic feet
Last Update : 2021-04-16
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller Yakima Cargo Boxes:
- Mount your spare tire on your LoadWarrior or MegaWarrior basket and free up room inside your vehicle for more toys
- Keeps tire accessible and out of the way
- Quick release for easy installation and removal
- Carries spares up to 35"
- Long 16-foot tie down secures kayaks and larger gear
- Neoprene cover protects boats, gear and vehicle
- Integrated hook and loop cover makes it easy to stash excess strap
- Sold as a pair
- Combine with our Aero Crossbar Pads for an easy to use surf setup
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- Fast grip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- The central locking system provides maximum safety
- Fits SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory racks (Check fit guide)
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal included
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic includes a key lock to secure contents in the box
- ABS construction that is durable and UV-resistant; Easy to clean with mild soap and water
- Min-max crossbars spacing: 23 5/8" - 29 3/4"; Max weight capacity: 100 pounds
- Quickly adds 22 inches of space to the MegaWarrior cargo basket
- Easily attach bike, ski, and boat mounts directly to the basket or extension
- Built with heavy-duty, weather resistant steel
- Minimum bar spread required with extension is 36 in
- Dimensions with Extension: 74 in. length x 48 in. width x 6.5 in. height
- Burly cargo basket with a clean, modern design
- Adjustable accessory bars for adding Yakima gear mounts and pinning in bulky items; Tool-free mounting hardware for easy install right out of the box
- Integrated fairing reduces wind noise and drag; Made from strong, durable steel for years of rugged use
- Fairing & accessory bars fully removable to handle longer items up top; Universal mounting hardware works with JetStream, CoreBar, RoundBar and most factory crossbars
- Add SKS (Same Key System) locks for added security (sold separately); Extension available to add 40% additional space; Available in two sizes: Medium & Large
- For a sleeker profile: This handy hardware kit replaces the standard mounting hardware and directly attaches into a T-slot channel on your crossbars
- Highly compatible: Works with all Yakima T-slot crossbars as well as most other T-slot crossbars
- Easy to install: Easy to install and adjust based on your mounting needs
- Hardware included: Includes T-slot hardware, covers and an install tool
- We’ve got your back guarantee: Covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Carry 2 sup/surfboards: Comes with everything needed to carry 2 stand up paddleboards or surfboards (including straps and SKS locks); Slider adjusts to fit boards up to 36" wide
- Fits most crossbars: Compatible with Yakima round, square, factory and aerodynamic crossbars; Minimum crossbar spread of 24"
- Easy to load: Integrated rollers ease the effort of loading oversized SUP boards; A strap management system stows strap ends during travel
- Padded protection: Soft padding along the mount cradle and protect your board from scratches and dings; Always pad between boards if carrying multiple
- Easy install: Comes fully assembled out of the box; Tool-free installation in about 10 minutes; Refer to Yakima Fit My Car Tool to ensure compatibility
- CARRY ANY BIKE: Fits virtually any type of bike, including disc brakes, thru axles, and full suspension bikes; Fits 20" to 29" wheels and tires up to 3"
- EASY LOADING: Load your bike fully assembled on this wheel-on mount; FrontLoader holds your bike upright as you secure it
- ROOF RACK REQUIRED: Crossbar spread must be between 16" and 48"; Fits Yakima round, square, factory or aerodynamic crossbars; Fully assembled out of the box and easy, tool-free installation
- NO FRAME CONTACT: FrontLoader holds the bike by the front and rear wheel; No frame contact makes it a great option for carbon fiber and custom paint jobs
- PROTECT YOUR GEAR: 2 SKS (Same Key System) locks (sold separately) can be added to lock your bike to the mount and the mount to the base rack
Last Update : 2021-04-16