There are different types of bike rack manufacturers available on the market. Yakima is one of them. They are famous for making car roof boxes, but they make bike racks also.
In this article, you will find a review of some of the best available Yakima bike racks. Our testers team has tested these bike racks. They installed these racks in different types of the car such as trucks, SUVs and drove up dirt roads, down highways, and uphills around town.
So, You can find all the details about these Yakima bike racks, and we hope that it will help you to find the perfect roof rack to support your bike-loving lifestyle.
OverView of 6 Best Yakima Bike Racks:
Last Update : 2021-02-11
We hope that our recommended products will be beneficial to you. Sometimes we got a small commission if you buy products using our links. We are very thankful to you if you use our links!
Yakima Dr. Tray Bike Rack
The Yakima Dr. Tray is a bike rack that comes with a lightweight and attractive design. This rack’s design allows it to add a third tray to the rack without increasing the length so much. The new design of this rack comes with two support channels. The quick-release clamps can help the trays to be moved around so that you can carry bikes with almost any combination. It will be hard to find a bike with a combination that will not fit in this tray. This rack has a handle at the end of the frame for tilt adjustment and the integrated cable locks to ensure the security of your bikes. The quick-release tray clamps are very useful, making the fly adjustment to avoid bike on bike contact a fast and tool-free operation. Dr. Tray also has front-wheel clamps that are pushed down onto the front tire.
The Yakima Dr. Tray is very easy to install with an expanding wedge design operated by a hand knob on the rack’s lower support arm. To install this bike rack, you just have to Place the rack in your hitch receiver and turn the knob to remove the wobble. This rack is very lightweight. It weighs only 34 lbs. so you can install this rack all yourself. Also, It is very easy to remove. So it won’t leave you with back pain from hefting an unwieldy rack around. The storage dimensions of Yakima Dr. Tray is L16.5 “xW58″ xH40.5”.
The mainframe of the rack comes pre-assembled. You can simply slide the trays into the pre-installed clamps on the frame. And you have to attach the rear wheel straps onto the trays after the trays are installed onto the main body of the rack to use the rack. Yakima Dr. Tray comes with a durable design. The bulk of the rack is made of aluminum. Only a few parts are made of plastic.
Yakima HighRoad Bike Rack
If you are an owner of a small car, then The Yakima HighRoad is an excellent option for you. It is a decent quality rooftop bike rack. It is also better for the people who want to avoid a hitch rack. The HighRoad comes with a slick design. It can keep the bike fully secure without having contact with the frame of your bike. The design pattern of the HighRoad is almost the same as the Front Loader.
To load your bike in the rack, you have to raise the front hoop into the forward position first. Next, you have to lift the bike onto the rack by gripping the lower leg of the fork and the chainstays. After placing the bike into the rack, you have to make sure that the front wheel is pushed forward against the front hoop. You also have to raise the rear hoop to secure the rear of the front wheel as well. Lastly, secure the rear wheel with the reversible ratchet strap.
This rack is compatible with different types of bikes. The loading process is not so hard. The Yakima highroad is very easy to install. If you understand the technique, it will take you only a couple of minutes to install or remove the rack from your vehicle. This rack attaches to the car with a strap/clamp system that does not require tools.
This bike rack is very lightweight. It weighs only 18 lbs. It is very easy to store also. When the rack is not in use, you can just remove it from your vehicle and keep it in one corner of your garage.
The HighRoad can accommodate tires up to 4 inches wide. It comes with an integrated cable lock that stows away into the tray. But the locking cores are not included. So if you want to use the lock, you have to purchase the locking cores. A two-pack is available on the Yakima website for forty bucks.
Yakima FrontLoader Bike Rack
The Yakima FrontLoader is a rooftop bike rack that comes with a durable and sturdy design. You will be able to carry almost every type of bike with it. Moreover, you don’t have to remove the front wheel of your bike to carry it with this rack. It can carry your bike contacting with the wheels and tires. So you don’t have to worry about your bike being scratched or damaged. But the rack comes with a relatively higher loading height than the fork mount racks. The FrontLoader is easier to use than a fork-mount rack for cars with low roof heights because on the frontloader the front wheel stays on. But for the vehicles with higher roofs, it is a little difficult to lift the bike high enough while maintaining the proper vertical angle to get a bike into the rack.
The FrontLoader is very easy to install. Moreover, the installation does not require any tools. This bike rack is compatible with almost any type of roof crossbar. A large hand knob on the front end of the rack is turned which draws the front clamp up snugly around the crossbar. It is easier to use than the U-Bolt set up or the strap clamps. The front tire clamp is not able to accommodate tires over 3″ in width. So you cannot carry fat bikes or some plus bikes with larger tires with the FrontLoader.
The FrontLoader comes fully assembled. You just have to place the rack on your roof for attachment to the crossbars. There are no included lock cores available in this bike rack. So if you want to install lock cores to increase the security system of the rack, then you will need to purchase lock cores from Yakima. It is a one time job, and it will take about 5 minutes.
The FrontLoader comes with a good design, and it is a sturdy rack. There are a lot of plastic components used in this rooftop bike rack, including the crossbar clamping mechanism.
So if you are looking for a rooftop bike rack at a good value, then you can take this.
Yakima HoldUp Bike Rack
The Yakima HoldUp is a hitch-mount rack with tray-style design. It comes with a low loading height making the loading and unloading of your bikes easier. This hitch mount rack comes at an affordable price. Loading and unloading of bikes in this wreck is as same as other hitch mount racks. When you don’t need to use it, you can store it in a compact storage space by folding the wheel trays. So this feature will be very useful for you if you do not have so much space to store a bike rack. This bike rack weighs 49 lbs. so you can carry this rack from your garage to car or from car to garage very easily.
This bike rack is not so easy to assemble. The directions in the owner’s manual are accurate. But the task is not so easy at all. The trays come fully assembled, but you have to attach them with the main support. So the easiest way to attach them with the rack is in the upright position when attached to a vehicle. It will be a little bit easier if you have someone to help.
It comes with a hitch pin to mount the rack on your car. It comes with included short cables to secure your bikes. The cables are too short, so it may be not easy to loop the cable through the frame of your bike. So we recommend to buy and install an additional cable lock in the rack to ensure the security of your bike. The HoldUp comes with lock cores for cables. So you just have to buy the cables only.
The Yakima HoldUp is a sturdy, durable hitch mount tray-style rack. You can store it in a small space by simply folding it when it is not in use. So it can be a good choice if you do not have much space for storing a bike rack.
Yakima HangOver Bike Rack
The Yakima HangOver is a high-quality bike rack. It can accommodate up to 4 bikes at a time. This bike rack is best for bigger vehicles such as trucks, SUVs. The build quality of this rack is good enough. If you are looking for a bike rack to carry at least three bikes regularly, then Yakima HangOver could be an excellent choice for you. But if you are carrying less than three bikes, a tray-style rack would be a much better option. It is a very durable and heavyweight bike rack. The Yakima HangOver weighs 80 lbs.
The HangOver comes with a huge carrying capacity. With this carrying capacity, this rack is easy to use than other racks. The Hangover comes with a vertical configuration. And it becomes more user friendly when you load four bikes in it. But it is not as user friendly as rooftop or tray-style bike racks because it is a good option if you want to carry a lot of bikes at a time.
The Yakima HangOver is quite heavy. While weighing 80 lbs, it is not easy to carry from your garage to the vehicle. So it will be better if you have someone to help you to safely install or remove this rack off of the car and into the shed or garage.
One important thing that you have to keep in mind about this rack is that it only works with suspension forks. So if you want to carry road bikes, hybrid bikes with rigid forks, BMX bikes, and kids’ bikes with rigid forks you will not be able to do that.
As Yakima said, the HangOver has a maximum weight capacity of 37.5 lbs per bike. This is not a huge amount. Downhill bikes and E-bikes generally weigh more than 37.5 lbs significantly. So you have to think first about what you are going to carry.
The Yakima HangOver is easy to assemble. The direction given in the manual is very helpful. The assembly can take you around 45 minutes.
This rack is very durable and robust. It comes with good build quality. So this rack will last for a long time. If you are looking for a bike rack to carry a lot of bikes, then you can take this.
Yakima ForkLift Bike Rack
The Yakima ForkLift is a high-quality fork mount bike rack. It comes with great versatility and very easy to use. It comes with crossbar clamps so that you can mount it with any type of crossbar. The weight carrying capacity of this bike rack is 40 lbs. It has an included 9mm quick release fork. After loading the bike, there will be no contact with the frame of your bike. With the help of the easily adjustable quick-release clamp, the loading and unloading become easier.
There are three available settings of the crossbar clamps. One setting is used for round and square bars, and the other two settings accommodate factory crossbars. The clamp lever can be based to the left or the right so that you can mount the rack on any side of your car. Yakima ForkLift is featuring tool-free installation. Moreover, the removal of this rack is also easy, and you don’t have to use any tools in removing the rack also.
The assembly of this rack is quick and straightforward with the contender. All the directions given in the manual are clear, concise, and very helpful. The Yakima forklift comes almost assembled. You just have to attach it with your crossbars to use the rack.
This Yakima ForkLift is very durable. The tray is solid, sturdy and does not seem to flex, even with bikes mounted in heavy crosswinds. It comes with lock cores to ensure the security of your bikes.
So if you want a very durable bike rack for your car, you can take this.
Here in this article, you read about some of the best Yakima bike racks reviews. The reviews are written after testing the racks for several months by our professional testers. To choose the perfect bike rack for you and your car we are recommending you to consider your vehicle type your bicycle type carefully, and where you live. We hope our review will help you in choosing the right bike rack for you.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller Yakima Bike Rack:
- SMART DESIGN: UpperHand lever tilts the rack down to access the back of your vehicle and folds flat for easy storage; Carries up to 4 bikes
- DURABLE, STABLE, SECURE: Zero-hassle ZipStrips secure the bikes to the rack and are fully removable; Anti-sway cradle design minimizes bike-to-bike contact
- EASY INSTALL: Tool-free SpeedKnob quickly tightens and locks the rack to your car; Fully assembled; Easy 5 minute install
- SIMPLE TO STORE: Folds flat for easy storage; 1-1/4" or 2" hitch receiver required
- ROAD TRIP READY: Yakima signature bottle opener lets you enjoy a post-ride cold one
- ADVENTURE READY: Load your bike in seconds whether it's a 20-inch wheel or a 29er; StrongArm design secures bike at wheels, protecting paint and carbon frames
- SMART DESIGN: Tilts down with bikes loaded so you can access the back of your vehicle; Accommodates disc brakes, thru-axles and full suspension bikes
- UNRIVALED SPACING: Carries 2 bikes out of the box, or 4 bikes with optional HoldUp +2. 1-1/4" or 2" Hitch Receiver; Side-to-side adjustability to adjust space between bikes
- EASY INSTALL: SKS Locks included for added security; +2. 1-¼-inch or 2-inch Hitch Receiver required
- WE’VE GOT YOUR BACK GUARANTEE: Covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty
- CARRY UP TO 4 BIKES: Fits all types of bikes with traditional frame geometry (some mountain, women's and kids' bikes require the TubeTop adapter, sold separately); 40 lbs. maximum weight per bike
- SWINGS OUT: Swing away design allows you to access your car's trunk or hatch with the bikes loaded; Zero-hassle ZipStrips secure the bikes to the rack
- PROTECT YOUR GEAR: Fully padded arms provides ultimate bike protection and fold down when not in use
- EASY TO INSTALL AND USE: Quick and easy assembly; Tool-free installation with locking SpeedKnob; AutoPin automatically positions and secures the rack to the hitch and receiver
- SECURE LOCKING: Included SKS (Same Key System) locks keep your bikes and rack protected from theft
- Modern design complements today's vehicles, bikes and cyclists
- SuperCush ZipStrip cradles allow for premium bike protection
- Four-strap design for easy installation
- Enhanced vehicle fit achieved through external frame construction and padding
- Full SKS locking package locks rack to vehicle and bikes to rack to help prevent theft
- CARRY ANY BIKE: Secure, sleek and simple to use; Carry almost any road or mountain bike; Fits 26" to 29" wheels and 23 mm to 4" tires with no adjustment
- STREAMLINED PROTECTION: Low profile tray minimizes hatch interference; No wheel removal and no contact with the bike frame (an ideal option for carbon fiber bikes and custom paint jobs)
- ROOF RACK REQUIRED: Crossbar spread must be between 18" and 35"; Tool-free, universal mounting hardware fits most roof racks; T-Slot compatible with SmarT-Slot conversion kit (sold separately)
- EASY TO USE: New integrated TorqueRight tightening knob is quick and easy to adjust and secures your bike with precision
- PROTECT YOUR GEAR: 2 SKS (Same Key System) locks (sold separately) can be added to lock your bike to the mount and the mount to the base rack
- CARRY ANY BIKE: DoubleDown 4 is a hanging rack, which allows you to carry any type of bike with traditional frame geometry (bikes with slanted top tubes require TubeTop adapter, sold separately)
- SIMPLE AND SECURE: Easy to install, load, and tilt out of the way when not in use; TriggerFinger technology lets you fold down the arms with one press of a button
- HITCH REQUIRED: Compatible with both 1-1/4” and 2” hitch receivers (class I, II, and III) right out of the box
- SMART DESIGN: Standard SwitchBlade anti-sway cradle eliminates bike-to-bike contact, preventing interference and scratches; Durable powder coat finish
- PROTECT YOUR GEAR: Add a DeadLock (sold separately) to lock your bikes to your hitch mount and the hitch mount to your vehicle
- CARRY ANY BIKE: Fits virtually any type of bike, including disc brakes, thru axles, and full suspension bikes; Fits 20" to 29" wheels and tires up to 3"
- EASY LOADING: Load your bike fully assembled on this wheel-on mount; FrontLoader holds your bike upright as you secure it
- ROOF RACK REQUIRED: Crossbar spread must be between 16" and 48"; Fits Yakima round, square, factory or aerodynamic crossbars; Fully assembled out of the box and easy, tool-free installation
- NO FRAME CONTACT: FrontLoader holds the bike by the front and rear wheel; No frame contact makes it a great option for carbon fiber and custom paint jobs
- PROTECT YOUR GEAR: 2 SKS (Same Key System) locks (sold separately) can be added to lock your bike to the mount and the mount to the base rack
- CARRY ANY BIKE: Fits any frame design, suspension, and wheel size; Ideal for kids' bikes, bikes with fenders, and fat bikes (require FatStraps, sold separately)
- 2 OR 4 BIKE CAPACITY: Super adaptable design for your carrying needs; Converts from a 4 rack to a 2 bike rack in minutes; Maximum bike weight of 45 lbs. (total load of 180 lbs.)
- HITCH REQUIRED: Fits 2" hitch receivers only; SKS (Same Key System) Hitch lock included to protect your gear
- OUT OF THE WAY: Folds down with bikes loaded so you can access your vehicle's trunk or hatch; Folds up when not in use
- EASY TO USE: Low tray height makes it quick and easy to load and unload your bikes
- QuickTrigger hub system makes install easy and fast
- Integrated stable cradles hold bikes firmly in place
- Padded feet and coated metal buckles protect your vehicle
- Available in 2 or 3 bike carrying capacities
- Arms fold for compact storage
- BUILT TO HANDLE NEW BIKE STANDARDS: Fits most bikes, including fat tires, boost hubs, mountain, road, hybrid, women's specific, BMX kids' bikes and E-bikes under 50 lbs.
- FAST, SECURE, EASY TO USE: Tool-free locking SpeedKnob makes installation and removal fast, easy and secure; Integrated SKS (Same Key System) locks included for added bike security
- QUICK REAR-OF-VEHICLE ACCESS: Easy-access tilt mechanism and KickStart foot pedal make raising and lowering the rack a breeze, even with bikes loaded
- SMART DESIGN: StrongArm hook secures bikes at the wheel, protecting your painted and carbon frames; Easily adjust trays to reduce bike-to-bike interference
- FIT ANY BIKE: Securely carries 20" to 29" wheels, tires up to 4.8" wide, and accommodates disc brakes, thru-axles, and full suspension bikes
Last Update : 2021-02-11