If you want to go on a trip or vacation with your family with a renting car, you will need a roof cargo box to get enough space to carry all of your stuff. With a roof box, you will be able to get enough space for everyone to give them a ride with comfort.
With a rooftop cargo box, you will be able to fit more people inside the car. And carrying your luggage or other stuff becomes much more convenient. If you want to use a roof cargo box with a renting car to get enough space for your stuff then, before renting the vehicle, you’ll need to check the rules and restrictions of the renting company. Every renting company has its own set of rules and regulations about the use of a roof box on the vehicle.
Some Basic Considerations
Before planning for the trip, you should decide if you want to buy a roof cargo box or you want to lease one. Some car rental companies offer different necessary gear with the car such as child car seats, bicycle racks, and some of them even provide roof boxes. But finding a car rental that rents roof cargo boxes is not as easy as finding a car rental that rents bicycle racks because renting a bicycle rack is common with car leasing companies.
There are two considerations to think about, and they are:
Will the leasing company allow you to put a cargo carrier on the roof of the vehicle, whether the carrier belongs to you or not?
Before you buy a roof cargo box for your trip, firstly, you should check the guide of that car rental about the rules and restrictions to know that if they allow roof boxes and secondly, if they provide roof cargo boxes with their car so that you don’t have to buy one.
If the car rental does not allow the roof boxes to mount it on the roof of their vehicle, then buying a roof cargo box will be nothing but a wastage of money.
Does the company lease these Roof Box at all or do you have to bring your own?
If the car leasing companies have rooftop boxes that they will lease to you and you will not need a roof box in the future then renting the roof box will be better for you instead of buying one. It is a cheaper and much convenient option for you.
If you lease a roof cargo box with your car, then you have to pay a little amount of money for that. Moreover, they will install the roof box by themselves so that you don’t have to take any hassle.
Each Car Leasing Company Is Different
If you want to go on snowboarding, skiing or fishing trip, it is better to have a roof cargo box. Because a roof box can make the transportation of your gear more convenient. Whether you want to lease a roof box or buy one to use that for your future trips, it is very important that you first check with the rental company so that you can learn their policy about leasing their vehicles and installing rooftop cargo boxes on the roof of their car.
There are different types of renting companies out there. So it will be better for you to contact more than one leasing company because each of them has its own rules and restrictions. Some of them provide you with a child car seat, and bike rack but not with a roof cargo box, some of them provide you with all of them and some of them do not provide any of these gear at all.
You will do not want to buy a roof cargo box and then find out that the leasing company you are going to lease a car from does not allow you to install a roof box on the roof of their vehicle.
To get enough information about a roof cargo box, you can check that online. You can get it through the companies’ websites. So checking online is the first and easy thing that you should do if you want a perfect roof box for the car you are going to rent.
Sometimes, the bigger companies may not allow you to install a roof cargo box on their car while some smaller companies allow you to do that. So make sure which company allows a roof cargo box. Moreover, you can check that just in two minutes via a quick email or phone call, and this will save you from falling into a problem when you go to rent a car.
While renting a car, ask specific questions to the renting company. Tell them that you need a roof cargo box, and also ask them about their policy about roof boxes, rental vehicles, and rental cost.
Allowing Carriers in Certain Circumstances
If the car renting company allows you to use a roof cargo box or they provide you with one to use it with their rental vehicle, they may have some rules and restrictions that you have to follow. They surely do not allow every type of roof boxes. They will allow the soft-type roof boxes so that the box could not harm their rental vehicles.
Sometimes the renting company may allow you only to use a roof cargo box that can be installed on a roof rack so that their rental car does not get scratched or damaged. Moreover, some of the companies may allow a certain amount of weight of a roof box so that their rental vehicle does not get weighed down too much.
If the car renting company can provide you to rent a roof cargo box from them the renting process will not change, it will remain the same as the renting process of the car from them. And if unfortunately anything terrible happens or any damages occur to the vehicle or the roof box during the trip you will be responsible for that, even if you were away from those, the rule does not change. Because, according to the rules, the liability of any damage will always fall on the customer’s shoulders.
Sometimes the car renting company may not allow you to use a hard type roof cargo box. Because they do not have any roof rack installed on the roof of their car and hard shell roof boxes can scratch or damage the car. But hard shell roof boxes are more massive than the soft type roof boxes. So the car renting company may not allow hard shell roof boxes because of their heavyweight. So if you want to take rent a car, then you have to abide by these type of rules from the company.
A Few More Considerations
If the car renting company will allow the roof cargo box that you want to take with you on the next trip, then you have to confirm about it. There are many kinds of roof boxes and roof racks on the market. So which type of the roof boxes the car leasing company will allow is entirely up to them.
Most of the time the car renting company does not allow a roof cargo box because they do not want to damage their rental cars or they do not wish to have any hassle with the customers about the liability of any danger caused to the renting roof box.
So if you need a roof cargo box during your next vacation with a rental car, it will be better for you to lease the roof box from the same car leasing company. And make sure that they allow the type of roof box that you want.
-Our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller Rooftop Cargo Boxes:
- SECURE & PROTECT YOUR GEAR in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell car top cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- WATERPROOF STORAGE FOR YOUR LUGGAGE with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- EASY & CONVENIENT LOADING AND UNLOADING from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED, EASY ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- MADE IN USA, LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Fits SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory racks (Check fit guide)
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal included
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic includes a key lock to secure contents in the box
- ABS construction that is durable and UV-resistant; Easy to clean with mild soap and water
- Min-max crossbars spacing: 23 5/8" - 29 3/4"; Max weight capacity: 100 pounds
- Cross Bars: Aluminum Bar Construction; Aluminum Mounting Brackets
- Cargo Box: Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- Capacity: 12 cu. ft. / Dimensions: 68" L x 31" W x 16" H
- Opens to 14. 75" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- Opens from the Side and Stays Open Till you Close It
- Menabo model "QUASAR" roof box with elegant profile and equipped with anti-theft lock. Quick and secure mounting via "U" hooks. Right opening side (passenger side)
- Maximum load: 50 kg / 110.2 Lb.
- Load capacity: 320 litres - Anti-theft system: Included
- Colour: rough black
- External dimensions (LxWxH) 128x90x38 cm - Internal dimensions (WxWxH) 120x82x34 cm.
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 inch
- External dimensions: 91.5 x 37.5 x 18 inches | Internal dimensions: 84.5 x 33 x 16 inches
- Roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Fits 5-7 pairs of skis / 3-5 snowboards
- Load capacity: 165 pounds | Product Weight: 55 pounds
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Full trunk access with minimal risk of contact with the cargo box, thanks to its forward position on the vehicle roof
- Easy to mount thanks to the PowerClick quick-mount system. The integrated torque indicator clicks when it’s properly mounted, ensuring fast and secure fitting
- Reinforced lid makes for a smooth, effortless dual-sided opening and closing
- An elegant, sporty design with seamless integration of the lid and the base that adds a distinctive look to any car
- A premium interior with integrated lighting and a felt-lined base for increased gear protection that enhances the user experience
- ▶️ Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H
- ▶️ Opens to 14" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- ▶️ Capacity: 10 cu. ft.
- ▶️ Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- OEM Style Cross Bars: Aluminum Bar Construction; Connects to Factory Roof Rails
- Cargo Box: Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- Overall Dimensions: 67" L x 30" W x 13" H
- Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- Includes Mounting Hardware & (2) Keys
.You May Also Like…
- The 7 Best Rooftop Cargo Bag
- The 5 Best Audi Cargo Boxes
- The 9 Best Honda Odyssey Cargo Boxes
- The 8 Best Ski Racks for SUVs
- The Best Thule Ski Rack
Last Update : 2021-07-10