Nowadays, Tesla cars are very famous. And its fame is increasing day by day. Buying Tesla cars is now turning into a trend. Among all tesla cars, The Tesla Model 3 is one of their most famous production. But when this model came to the market, it did not have a roof rack.
The main reason is that the Tesla Model 3 comes with a glass roof which made it a little harder for the developer to find a roof rack. But research says that a huge number of tesla model 3 owners want additional space for accessories, for example, bikes, roof boxes, et cetera. But how can anyone attach a roof rack on top of a tesla model 3?
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the Best Roof Box for Tesla Model 3. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Overall The – Thule Vector Rooftop Cargo Box
– Editor’s Choice – Thule Motion XT Rooftop Cargo Box
– Value for Money – JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier
At first, there was no easy way to attach a roof rack on top of model 3 without compromising safety standards because of the glass roof. Though, Tesla had previously successfully developed a roof rack for its model S (even that also had a glass roof).
People thought this time also Tesla will do the same for the Model 3. And Tesla really developed a roof rack for model 3, just after slightly a year of its launch. After launching the rack on the market, sales for skis, boxes, and bikes roof racks have generated a great number of sales.
The roof rack for model 3 works so well with the car; it is very easy to install. You can also easily adjust it to carry different things such as bikes and roof boxes. It became possible because of the T slots on its aluminum crossbars.
This roof rack will not compromise any safety features or affect the car’s range, aerodynamics, and negligible interior noise. This roof rack is designed to suit all Model 3 vehicles. It can easily accommodate compatible roof boxes.
Tesla Model 3 Cargo Box Installation:
Installing a roof box on top of the Tesla Model 3 roof is very easy. You just have to follow the following simple steps.
- At first, read the labels for all the parts. Then look for the arrows which are strategically placed near the joints in the roof of your car. If you cannot find them, shine a light at an appropriate angle. It will reveal them.
- Then, Install the accompanying clips and abrasive pads.
- Attach the side pad. But make sure that they sit the right way up and on the right spots before attaching them.
- Remove the crossbar covers by following the manufacturer’s guide that comes with the product.
- Then tighten the nut carefully to about eight centimeters in order to avoid over-tightening, which can install crack the glass roof.
- Finally, install the roof box.
Tesla Model 3 Roof Box
As with any modification, adding a roof cargo box on top of your Tesla Model 3 will also affect the performance of your car. Thought the installation of a roof rack has very little impact on the car’s performance.
But the installation of a roof cargo box significantly impacts the performance of the car. If you install a roof cargo box following the manufacturer’s specifications, it will reduce the range of your Tesla Model 3 by about sixteen percent.
The Model 3 roof rack comes with an integrated locking system that secures all the car’s roof towers, which is a great advantage. It comes with a great carrying capacity, and you can easily carry your skis, luggage, or anything you want. The weight carrying capacity of this roof rack is up to hundred and fifty pounds, including the weight of the attachments.
While installing the roof box on top of your Tesla Model 3, make sure that you have the pointed end facing forward because it blends well with the car’s pointed end, which is in front. The manufacturer also recommends the same.
Again if you do that, you will be able to enhance your car’s aerodynamic performance, and turbulence and reduce noise generated during your drive. Moreover, some Tesla Model 3 owners have found that installing it with the larger side facing front improves the car’s performance, a notion that can be argued using aerodynamics.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Tesla Model 3 Roof Box
The most important feature of a roof box is that it provides a lot of extra storage space so that you can carry a lot of cargo. Moreover, most of the roof cargo box is compatible with a huge amount of vehicle designs. Some of them are easy to install and made from durable materials. Some roof boxes also provide a waterproof feature.
The disadvantage of a roof box is that it affects the fuel economy, and in the case of electronic cars, it will lessen the range. They also come with limited space for taller items. But after all, these disadvantages are tolerable in front of the benefits provided by a roof cargo box. A roof box is like a must-have for most Tesla Model 3 enthusiasts.
Most rooftop cargo carriers are compatible with the Tesla Model 3 roof rack. Among them, some are best suited for model 3. Among all the compatible roof cargo boxes for the Model 3, here we have shortlisted four that are ideally suited for the Tesla Model 3.
Best Roof Box for Tesla Model 3:
1. JEGS 90098 Cargo Carrier
The first option in this list is the JEGS Performance Products 90098 Cargo Carrier. It comes with 18 cubic feet of storage space. So there is a lot of space inside for your stuff. This box measures 57″ long, 39″ wide, and 19″ high. It weighs only 28 lbs.
The weight carrying capacity of this roof box is 137 lbs. No tool is required to assemble and install this roof cargo box. It comes with an aerodynamic design, and it looks stunning. It is available in black color.
This roof box requires a roof rack to get installed, and it is only compatible with cross rail systems.
The JEGS box comes with all the necessary mounting equipment and two keys for the lock. It also comes with a limited lifetime guarantee. You will be able to fit it on the square and round aero bars. JEGS is an American manufacturer. This box from JEGS is very easy to open and close. It is compatible with any extreme weather conditions. The outer handles and supporting lid-lifters are very useful and grip-friendly. This roof box is the best option for cars small as the Mini Cooper.
- This Box can take up to 110 lbs. of materials for tour lovers.
- It’s only 28 lbs.; when the cargo box is empty. You’ll raise it singly, but it’s better to invoke help after you are lifting it to the highest of your car.
- The JEGS cargo box allows a 4-corner locking system that has enhanced protection to your properties.
- It is a dual-side opening cargo box that permits packing or unloading things from either side.
- The best installation process doesn’t need any help from tools but only your bare hands.
- The locking system is flimsy and simple to control to an open position.
- It is high. If your car is big and tall, you have got to use a ladder to succeed in and obtain the cargo carrier.
- Best quality of U-bolts is not so reliable.
- Secure & protect your gear in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell vehicle cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- Waterproof storage for your luggage with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- Easy & convenient loading and unloading from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- No tools required, easy assembly and installation. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- Made in USA, limited lifetime guarantee. The JEGS car top carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
2. Thule Vector Roof Box
The Thule Vector is an elegant, stylish design with seamless integration of the lid, and the base adds a distinctive look to any car. It is made with a smooth and aerodynamic design capable of storing up to 165lbs of gear. The Vector fits 3-5 sets of skis, has felt-lined storage, motion-activated LED lights for better visibility at night, flush-mount closure for included security, double side opening to access equipment from either side of the vehicle, and also a strengthened lid.
The sleek and also modern Thule Vector rooftop cargo box finds balance in power through function! It looks great on any type of roofline while storing and transporting things securely on top of your vehicle.
- Dual-Side Opening: The reinforced lid makes for a smooth, effortless dual-sided opening and closing.
- Best rear of Vehicle Access: Full trunk gain access to with minimal danger of contact with the cargo box, thanks to its forward setting on the car roof.
- Secure SlideLock System: The SlideLock system with different locking and opening features automatically secures the lid in place and shows when the box is closed securely.
- PowerClick Quick-Mount System: Easy to install to the PowerClick quick-mount system. The integrated torque indicator clicks when it’s correctly installed, ensuring quick and protection suitably.
- Premium Interior: A premium interior with integrated lighting and a felt-lined base for increased gear protection enhances the user experience.
- Built-in LED-Light: A white-colored interior of the lid combined with a LED light facilitates loading and unloading at night.
- A sleek, aerodynamic cargo box with premium features that compliments the styling of modern vehicles
- Fits 3-5 pairs of skis (up to 200 cm in length)/3-4 snowboards
- Premium felt-lined interior base for increased protection of gear
- Bright, motion-activated LED lights and white interior allow for visibility during nighttime use
- Exclusive flush-mount closure and reinforced lid provides effortless, dual-side opening and closing
3. Thule Motion XT Rooftop Cargo Box
The Thule Motion XT is a perfect example of a sleek, aerodynamic, modern roof box. According to its size and storage capacity, it is perfect. For this fantastic combination, the Thule Motion XT is one of today’s best roof boxes.
You can get this roof box unit in both 16-foot and 22-foot. And its interior dimensions are 79 x 31.5 x 15. The 16-foot variant is the extended variant for roof boxes; it will be easy to fit safely on large vehicle roofs.
As we mentioned before, this box can give you access to both sides. So it will be easy to load or unload anything in it without any trouble. Also, you can use it in unfavourable weather conditions easily. It can easily stay in place when the weather is wet or snowy because it has a superior grip system.
It is so handy and easy to use. And it is available with an easy mounting system. With its mounting system, you will be able to install this roof box within five minutes. Also, it’s sturdy and functional with a locking system. If you accidentally leave your roof box unlocked, that locking system can keep your roof box secured. It has a smooth and aesthetic design.
The Thule Motion XT can bear 165 lbs. without any problem. In terms of safety, It is compatible with the One Key System, making it much easier to lock your roof box and keep your stuff safe. If you want to go on trips frequently with your roof box, then this one could be an excellent choice for you.
Some of the other attractive advantages featured by Thule Motion XT are:
- Simple process to open and shut all told circumstances because of grip-friendly outer handles and protecting lid lifters.
- Improved design for best space effectiveness, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Easy to install with the help of its extra-space, pre-mount Power Click quick-install system. The integrated torque pointer clicks when it’s correctly mounted, ensuring fast and solid fitting.
- Full box entrance with low risk of contact with the cargo box because of its front position on the car roof
- A system called Sideclock, including locking and opening functions, automatically lock the lid in situ and shows when the box is locked securely.
- Comparatively lightweight, only 55 pounds, but it has a large weight capacity of 165 pounds.
- Thule T-track Adapter needed for fitting to Thule Sidebars. Thule WingBar Evo, SquareBar, ProBar and WingBar Edge are perfect for it.
The Thule Motion XT will cost you nearly $800. But remember that; you will get what you are paying for, one of the best quality roof boxes. Moreover, you will carry skis or anything this kind of long stuff with this roof box.
- Roof-mounted cargo box provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
4. SportRack Horizon XL Cargo Box
This roof box is not as attractive as other roof boxes on this list, but it is a very durable roof box. It is made from high-quality ABS material, so this box will not get damaged easily. You will be able to use this box for a long time without any problem.
The SportRack Horizon XL Cargo Box comes with 11 cubic feet of storage space. It also comes with a quick-release attachment kit so that you can easily install and remove the box from the roof of your car. It has two lower variants also. Those are the 11 cubic feet and 16 cubic feet variants. So if you want something lighter, you can buy those variants.
This rooftop cargo box will fit well with most of the aftermarket roof racks. It weighs only 33 lbs. This roof box can give you access from the passenger side only. The weight carrying capacity for this roof box is 110 lbs.
- It has 11 cubic unit spacing, and it can contain 2-3 snowboards and 5-6 pairs of skis up to 210 cm.
- It is produced using a high-end substance made of impact-resistant ABS material.
- This Box gives a fast-release attachment kit that permits you to put in and take away it with ease.
- The passenger-side opening lets you be secure while accessing the equipment from your carrier box.
- They are meant to figure with all SportRack carrier systems and any round bars, square bars, and most OEM roof racks.
- It appears with a lock and two keys, creating it impossible to get rid of the key while the Box is unlocked, making it difficult to ignore to lock the Box.
- Just one side opening while other brands provide dual side opening.
- It has a rather difficult mounting process.
- Rugged construction made from impact resistant ABS material
- Quick release attachment kit included for easy installation and removal
- Passenger side opening for access away from traffic
- Fits SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory racks (Check Fit Guide)
- Holds 4-6 pairs of skis (up to 216 cm) or 3-4 snowboards
5. Thule Sidekick Cargo Box
Thule Sidekick Roof Cargo Box is a small, lightweight roof box, which comes with a slight, sleek design. It is available with eight cubic feet of storage space, and its weight-carrying capacity is 75 lbs. So you can’t carry snowboards or camping equipment for your whole family with this roof cargo box. This roof box is so lightweight that it weighs only 16 lbs.
Thule Sidekick roof box can feature you with a fair amount of storage space and design. Because of its unique design. After mounting this on the roof of your vehicle, you will be able to install any extra mount on the back. So it will be beneficial for you if you need to mount more things to the roof of your car beside your roof box.
This roof box is very easy to use. The installation process of this roof box is also easy. You have to attach it with your roof bars using U-bolts. It compatible with most aftermarket roof racks. It opens on the passenger side for easy loading and unloading and keeps you away from traffic.
- It is transferable to any or all vehicles since it’s very small in size
- One of the cheap cargo boxes
- It can be controlled by one person comfortably because it is extremely light in weight.
- Passenger-side opening helps easy filling and unloading
- Easy mounting on any side and leaves space for other items
- Thule Side Kick is formed of impact-resistant, polyethylene structure
- Easy to Install and remove
- It has Box Outer Dimensions of 54 inches x 25 inches x 15.5 inches
- It needs a minimum bar spacing of 20.5 inches and allows a maximum of 32 inches for positioning
- Assembly is also a little problem for some of you.
- No High-end installation system
- It has only one side of the opening
- No interior locking
- It is short enough for skis
- Not one-key system
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External Dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 in
6. Goplus Cargo Box
This roof cargo box measures 63” x 31” x 15”. So there will be no overhang when you install this roof cargo box on top of your mini cooper. It is so lightweight. It weighs only 25 lbs.
This Goplus roof cargo box comes with 14 cubic feet of storage space. So that you can carry a lot of items with it, moreover, it comes with a dual-sided opening feature, and it is available in three colors: black, white and titanium grey.
There are metal lid stiffeners at the bottom of this roof box that makes the box very stable and secure while you are driving. It is made out of ABS and plastic. So it is very durable, and it will last for a long time.
This roof box is compatible with any extreme weather conditions. It comes with four quick connect anchors that make it easy to install the box. It is also equipped with super latch security that ensures the security of your stuff by keeping the lid strongly secured to the base.
This roof box is compatible with square, round, and most aerodynamic bars. It also comes with the keys for locks. You do not have to be concerned about losing those keys because they are easily duplicable.
- Perfect for Road Trip---Take the cargo box to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to store. Works on all vehicles with rack, suitable for cars, vans, SUVs, etc. Sleek aerodynamic design to reduce drag and has less noise.
- 14 Cubic Feet of Cargo Space---With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 14 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort, more capacity, more pleasure!
- Robust & Security Design---The roof cargo box is designed to withstand heavy use in different types of weather conditions. The metal lid stiffeners at the bottom makes the roof box more stable and safer. With the double-lock design for protecting your valuables. 【Note】This product is suitable for vehicles with rack (the width of the luggage rack is adjusted to between 16.1 inches and 24.8 inches, and the width of the roof crossbar is less than 3.1 inches).
- High Quality Material---The roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PC material for long-lasting use, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 165 lbs capacity, suitable for round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars.
- Easy to Install---The Goplus roof box equipped with 4 quick connect anchors for easy install and super latch security ensures your lid secure to its base, and your gear is safe. Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle to increased efficiency and convenience.
Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Tesla Model 3 Roof Box:
There are a variety of roof boxes available on the market. Among them, To choose the ideal roof box for your Tesla Model 3, you have to consider the following things:
- Ease of attaching the box.
- How you can access your content.
- The size of the box.
- How secure the box is.
- The durability of the box.
- Security of the locking system.
- Amount of storage space.
- How are you going to store your roof box when you’re not using it?
- If it’s waterproof.
- Aerodynamics of the box.
- If the lid is designed to stay open easily.
When you go to buy a roof box, you will see thousands of options. But you have to choose a roof box that is perfect for you. Whenever you go on any trip, you want to enjoy freedom. And you may know that space is all about choice, so you have to make a perfect decision about buying a roof box. And after choosing an ideal roof box, you will be able to enjoy your trip perfectly.
By installing a roof cargo box on top of your Tesla Model 3, you can have a lot of space for your cargo because it does not have much storage space. You can choose one of the recommended roof boxes in this article. They will fit your car perfectly.
If you want the best roof Box for your Tesla Model 3, you can choose one from this list. After buying one of these roof boxes, now you are ready to ride with comfort and go on a trip with your family members or friends without worrying about enough storage space for your items.
Every roof box listed here is unique with its unique features. Every roof box is perfect for a particular type of use. After deciding, pick the perfect roof cargo box from this list for your next journey. After installing your roof box and packing all your important items in it, you will be able to enjoy a more comfortable ride.
Can you fit a roof box to a Tesla Model 3?
The aluminum cross bars on the roof covering rack attribute T-slots to place compatible accessories such as ski shelves, bike racks as well as freight boxes. This roof covering shelf works with all Model 3 automobiles, despite setup.
Why does Tesla Model 3 have a glass roof?
Both glass panels that compose the Model 3’s roofing system are extra complex than many simple automobile glasses. They are fertilized with a UV-reflective layer that is specifically designed to repel those wavelengths of light that create an enclosed area to heat up; typically known as the greenhouse effect.
How much weight can I put on the Model 3 Roof Rack?
The maximum lots ranking of the roof covering rack is 150 lbs. This optimum weight includes the weight of any attachments too.
Do all Tesla Model 3 have a glass roof?
The within of Design 3 is unlike any type of other cars. The all-glass roof covering prolongs from front to back, creating a feeling of openness from every seat.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Last Update : 2023-01-22