When you are packing for a week or more long vacation or a road trip can suddenly get out of hand as you try to plan for all potential conditions.
It’s more beneficial to have something and not need it in spite of necessitating anything but not having it. If you start to pack your items without thinking, you don’t realize that you have limited storage space to load things into the car. Again sometimes, maybe you are aware of the limited space in your car; as a result, you will leave important items at your home.
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the best Rooftop Luggage Carriers for your car. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Overall Best – Thule Motion XT Rooftop Cargo Carrier
– Editor’s Choice – Thule Force Cargo Box
– Aerodynamic Design – YAKIMA SkyBox Pro
– Best Soft Rooftop Cargo Carrier – RoofBag Waterproof
If you are facing a situation like having a lot of cargo but not having enough storage space to carry them, then a roof cargo box for luggage will help you to solve this problem. These roof boxes are extremely suitable for trips that include a trip to the airport.
Roof boxes will sit tightly on top of your vehicle and will help you to carry more luggage with you, including saving your car’s internal space. There are vast kinds of roof cargo boxes available on the market. Most roof cargo boxes are compatible with most cars. Different kinds of roof boxes are there to choose from, and they will vary in terms of durability, size, and safety features. So you can shop around until you find the best deal for you.
Why You Need Roof Box?
Just because you may be able to fit everything into your car doesn’t mean that you should do it. Roof Cargo boxes are going to provide you with just some additional space so that you can store your items while ensuring both safety and comfort.
Just think, when you are driving, you always want to make sure that you have the maximum visibility in every direction, but if you overload your vehicle with luggage and other stuff, then it could block your vision through the rear windshield and most probably some other windows.
If you are going on a trip with more than one person or even pets, you will not want to block the seating places by keeping luggage either. Usually, Long car rides can be uncomfortable in general, but if you make them more uncomfortable by keeping luggage in their seating place, then it will nothing but just a pretty miserable ride.
Owning a roof cargo box will help you to safely store your luggage in a spot that is completely out of the way. If you are going on a road trip, you can easily fit everything you have to carry, but it will also depend on the size of your roof cargo box.
What Are You Looking for?
There are many important features that you should look for in a roof cargo box. And these features separate an outstanding cargo box from one that is just okay. If you often go on trips, you should not spend your money on something less than perfect. While shopping for a roof cargo box, you should consider your important needs. So at first, you have to make sure that the cargo box you buy will satisfy all of your needs.
The features that are very important and you should look for in a roof cargo box are all of the following:
Almost every car is designed to be aerodynamic, so whatever if you add anything to it will make some drag. As a result, a major drag will affect your vehicle’s performance for long-distance trips, and it can also decrease your fuel economy. Most rooftop cargo boxes are designed to come to a point in the front end so that they can cut through the air and help you to reduce drag as much as possible while driving.
Length and Width
Some available cargo boxes are wider than others, while some are longer than others, but both length and width will limit how much you will be able to fit in your cargo box. For shorter cars, width cargo boxes are better, and you should know that most cargo boxes will come in different sizes than the others.
It is an important thing to consider because if you do not pay any attention to the dimensions, you could end up buying something too small or too large.
Security is an essential feature that you should obviously consider while buying a roof cargo box. This feature can affect what you do with your roof cargo box throughout your trip. First of all, you require your cargo box to be attached to the car itself very securely.
The stages of the cargo box will usually affect how certain you feel, for example, leaving it on top of your car overnight or leaving it revealed throughout a storm. Nevertheless, it would be best if you also looked for the locking systems that are going to secure the cargo box itself.
A modern locking system will also provide you with some more surpassing peace of mind.
Obviously, you are also searching for an affordable price, and most of the roof cargo boxes are available in the range of $60 to over $1000. The bag-styled cargo boxes are available with more affordable pricing as well.
The best rooftop cargo box for luggage will provide you with all of the best quality in terms of security, durability, and aerodynamics, and that’s how it proves itself as the best. In this article, you are going to see some of the best rooftop cargo boxes that you can purchase, and all of them will help you to make your trip easier, safer, and more comfortable for years to come.
Best Rooftop Cargo Boxes:
1. Thule Motion XT
Thule is a very famous manufacturer of hard-bodied cargo boxes, and if you ever look for the best quality roof mount cargo carrier, at least one of their products will likely appear on any list that you will check out.
The Thule Motion XT is one of the best quality roof cargo boxes that you can buy today. Moreover, currently, it is a best seller on Amazon.
This roof cargo box exceeds in almost all sections that also includes space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit, though some of the users reported that a handle is a little tricky to use.
The thing that makes this cargo box special from others is that it’s placed more on the front end of your vehicle so that you will be able to open your rear trunk door fully without any interruption.
This Thule cargo box comes with a pre-installed PowerClick mount system that makes installing the cargo box more straightforward, and the SlideLock system automatically secures the lid in place. It also comes with a torque indicator that informs you whether or not your cargo box is locked and secured correctly, which ensures not only security but also peace of mind as well.
The Motion XT is famous for its refined design that increases space efficiency and aerodynamics most. You will be able to get access to it from both sides of the vehicle, and the same as other Thule products, the Motion XT also comes with a sleek, slim, and attractive design.
- Simple process to open and shut all told circumstances because of grip-friendly outer handles and protecting lid lifters.
- Improved design for best space effectiveness, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Easy to install with the help of its extra-space, pre-mount Power Click quick-install system. The integrated torque pointer clicks when it’s correctly mounted, ensuring fast and solid fitting.
- Full box entrance with low risk of contact with the cargo box because of its front position on the car roof
- A system called Sideclock, including locking and opening functions, automatically lock the lid in situ and shows when the box is locked securely.
- Comparatively lightweight, only 55 pounds, but it has a large weight capacity of 165 pounds.
- Thule T-track Adapter needed for fitting to Thule Sidebars. Thule WingBar Evo, SquareBar, ProBar and WingBar Edge are perfect for it.
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
2. Yakima Skybox Carbonite
This is a top-rated cargo box from Yakima. The Yakima Skybox Carbonite comes with a sturdy latching device and great durability. It also comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer to ensure peace of mind.
With this Yakima cargo box, you will be able to enjoy a ride to the fullest with peace of mind understanding that your cargo box is secured on top of your car and protected from uneven terrain and harsh weather situations.
As with the Thule Motion, the Skybox also comes with features that inform you whether or not the box is settled properly, and there’s also a pleasant clicking sound that ensures that you have put the cargo box in the right place while installing this on top of your car.
This is another big cargo box, and you will be able to carry snowboards, skis, and all kinds of other gear with it. What makes it a perfect choice for sportier customers. Obviously, this also indicates that the Yakima will create an outstanding roof cargo box for luggage.
With great space, you can assuredly put luggage and luggage for the whole family. The Yakima roof cargo box comes in various sizes that go as large as 21 cubic feet. There is no assembly needed for the Yakima Skybox, though some people have told a less than easy mounting system.
The complexity you face may depend on the kind of car that you drive. Once after installing it on top of your car, you should not have to bother about it for the whole ride, and the aerodynamic design guarantees that you manage fuel economy.
- Design hits the suitable spot for all-season use: it is a flexible size that matches most vehicles while maintaining sufficient capacity for skis and ponderous camping gear.
- Both side opening conveniently enables the box to be opened from either the right or left side. You can access it from both the driver and traveler sides.
- SuperLatch security guarantees your lid is safe to its base and your property is safe. It applies SKS lock cores so that you can use one set of keys for various Yakima products.
- Quick-release mounting hardware fits aerodynamic crossbars, square, factory, and Yakima round.
- The rear of the cargo box is reduced for enhanced hatch allowance.
- Its stiff latches will be challenging to open.
- Aerodynamic shape and comparatively slight 15-inch peak height limit what you’ll bring to fairly low-profile items.
- The top-end surface of the box isn’t smooth, just like the other roof boxes.
- Fit more friends: Add more cargo space so you can bring more friends; SkyBox 12 fits gear for up to 3 people and is roomy enough for skis and snowboards up to 215 cm
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind
- Works with most racks: Fits Yakima round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required
3. SportRack Vista XL
The SportRack Vista is a very easy to mount roof cargo box. And you will be able to buy it at a more reasonable price than other roof cargo boxes on this list. It is also compatible with many factory roof racks.
The SportRack Vista XL comes with a durable, UV-resistant outer shell that helps this roof cargo box to keep your stuff safe and secure inside of the cargo box. And it comes with the U-bolt hardware mounting kit to install this roof box on top of your car that ensures that your cargo box will always stay in place during the trip.
Many people might recognize this as a “basic” cargo box because of its lower price, basic design, and integrity, but that doesn’t mean that it is any less capable. One of the most significant strains of cargo boxes is purchasing something that doesn’t simply attach to your car but with a high versatility rating; you should not face so many difficulties.
If you compare it to other roof cargo boxes, the Vista XL is comparably lightweight and very easy to mount. It comes with a secure enough locking system, and you can rest assured that all your stuff is safe inside the box.
Remember that the Vista will give you access from the rear end instead of an opening on the sides; depending on your choice, this may be more relaxed for you. The quick-release mechanism is very useful in terms of unloading your items, so if you are interested in an affordable but good-quality cargo box option, this could be the perfect one for you.
- SportRack Vista cargo box could be a large cupboard space for your car, and also, the loading capacity is 100 lbs.
- You can instantly construct it on top of your car within minutes without any difficulty because the roof box fits most factory crossbars.
- This box could be a compound of high-quality ABS materials, and it’s durable, waterproof, UV-resistant, and sturdy.
- When required with a rare and unique rear-opening feature, straightforward access enables you to open the roof box from its rear.
- The locks appear not the most effective quality; they provide a reliable and safe lock.
- It can create whistling at high speeds, but its noise levels are quiet compared to other cargo boxes within the market.
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
4. Thule Force Cargo Box
The Thule Force is another option from the manufacturer called Thule. It is a high-performance cargo box that can provide you a strong and space-effective with an optimized construction for aerodynamics.
It can cut through the air, which assures that you don’t lose gas while traveling with it. Though it comes with a slim design, there is still a lot of storage space for bags and other stuff.
The mounting design is so versatile, and it can assure that you will be able to install it on top of your car even without a Thule rack system. This roof cargo box also comes with a tool-free, quick installation process so that you can install it and store it with speed. The plainness of this installation system makes it ideal for people who will be mounting and unmounting it often.
The Thule Force is available in five different sizes so that you can buy and enjoy the perfection of this product whether you drive a small vehicle or a large one. As with the Thule Motion, nevertheless, it also does not come with an indicator that notifies you when the cargo box has been accurately installed, but it has locks on both sides of the box for added security and peace of mind.
You will not face any problem using this over uneven terrain or extreme weather conditions, and it’s waterproof enough that all of your items will remain safe regardless of the outdoor conditions.
- Thule Force roof box can contain 6 – 8 pairs of skis or 4 – 6 snowboards.
- Aerodynamic shape and the diamond-textured covering on the lid of the roof box help to mount back drag.
- You will be on the road in a quick time, without any extra tools, because QuickGrip installing system comes pre-installed. This system is mounted on the round and square crossbars, and most factory racks join with a one-handed movement.
- Both-side openings let you access your things from both sides of the box.
- The locking system gives an outer lock-assist knob that’s simple to use; a built-in feature symbolizes the key can only be separated after sealed the box properly.
- A user-friendly locking system includes an oversize key; a lock does locate on both sides of the box, and each lock originates with a couple of keys.
- A bit costly but deserving each cent.
- There is some mileage problem. About 3-5 miles per gallon call fuel consumption rate.
- Installing the Thule Force could also be easy, but taking it off maybe a little bit of a pain by a minimum of one person.
- An oversized, versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
5. RoofBag Rooftop Cargo Carrier
Not all roof cargo carriers come with hardtops, and sometimes the soft-top cargo carriers are as capable as hardtops or more so. With soft-top carriers, you will be able to get more room for error, so make sure to choose a good one for buying.
The RoofBag carrier is a greatly rated rooftop cargo carrier that can provide you with a little different experience.
One of the best advantages of buying this soft-top carrier is that you will be able to install it on the naked roof of the vehicle, which means that you do not have to buy any roof racks to install it on top of your car.
It comes with extreme versatility; also, it can provide you with excellent safety for your stuff. This rooftop cargo carrier bag is available in two different sizes, you will be able to carry luggage with it, and it comes with a storage capacity of 3000 lbs.
Though it’s a short bag and not a hard shell roof box, still the RoofBag is famous for its durability and waterproof body. Moreover, the straps are very strong also, so it’s just as durable as buying a hard-shell roof cargo box.
Most probably, the only disadvantage of this product is that you might have to keep a mat under the bag, but the mat is sold individually. The good thing is that the RoofBag is more many reasonable than nearly any other cargo box, so you will be able to purchase both the bag and the mat by spending less than any amount you would pay for other units listed here.
- FITS ALL CARS: With or without rack, sunroof, moonroof. The original RoofBag car roof cargo carrier was designed in the USA to safely fit any model car. The generous dimensions of the 15 cubic feet model (48" L, 38" W, 11"-18" H) are large enough to hold the contents of 5 suitcases. You'll be surprised how spacious it is. It will fit safely on any roof 58" or longer (SUVs, vans, large sedans, pickup trucks). Large Set includes Liner Bags for easier packing and unpacking your rooftop cargo bag
- MOST SECURE DESIGN: Your belongings are safe at any highway speed with the strongest nylon straps: 1.5" wide, 3,000 lbs strong with Velcro strap retainer. RoofBag's exclusive pass-through straps are safe: tested for 18 years. They don't interfere with side curtains: they enter at corner of door frame. Door hooks or clips are not safe in the US: most US cars don't have a required lip under door gasket. Tip: If you car has lip, buy door hooks from RoofBag store
- TRULY WATERPROOF: RoofBag car topper keeps your valued contents dry, offering the benefits of a rigid car top carrier and the practicality of a cargo bag. To ensure waterproofness, RoofBag is made from a single piece of waterproof material and has no exposed stitching. The double flap protecting the zipper is semi-rigid and stays in place without the need for velcro. Straps are water-repellent. Zipper is unique: has no gap between the two halves. Tip: install with logo to the rear of the car
- HEAVY-DUTY: Whether you need a roof rack bag or a car top carrier without roof rack, RoofBag is the perfect choice. 18 years of improvements led to a road trip bag made to last, using military-grade fabric that will not peel or tear, is resistant to cold, heat, and UV, and best of all, is free of harmful chemicals, so you can safely carry even baby clothes. Customer satisfaction is ensured by experienced US staff and by a 2-year warranty. Tip: fill bag completely to avoid wind-flapping damage
- QUIET, FUEL EFFICIENT, EASY TO INSTALL: RoofBag luggage carrier for car rooftop is lower at the front, higher at the back for best fuel economy and a quiet ride. Built with heavy fabric to reduce noise, RoofBag was engineered to maximize storage space and fuel economy. We make 2 Sizes: 11 and 15 cu ft, which fit safely on any car. Larger bags than 15 cu ft greatly increase gas use and are unstable and noisy. Tip: fill bag completely to keep aerodynamic shape - Leave 8" clear roof in front of bag
6. Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag
Sometimes it gets difficult for even large car owners to manage enough space for their fifth or sixth suitcase. Folding rear seats to increase cargo area isn’t always a choice with a full capacity of passengers. It would work great for this situation to have a lightweight cargo carrier leash to the top of your car, contain big items, and simply fold away when it is not necessary, unlike rooftop boxes.
Amazon brings its AmazonBasics Rooftop Cargo bag can contain about 15 cu ft at a reasonable price. AmazonBasics rooftop cargo bag is created out of thick vinyl. There are eight straps for a few extra safeties toward buffering the wind or consumption from regular use. This bag needs a minimum of roof bars but would be better added to crossbars or inside a cargo basket. The bands are intended to rotate around the vehicle’s side rails or crossbars and adjust individually via buckles. One negative side is that the zipper may be locked, but the bag can’t be secured to the roof. However, the underside layer could be a bit thin, and there needs more stuffing.
- Amazon Rooftop cargo carrier bag 15 cu ft storage space.
- Its weight is about 4.7-pounds, which is simpler to fold
- 8 pushover straps with fasteners for a straightforward link to a vehicle’s carrier
- Fasteners unsnap for more simplistic access to cargo while added to the roof.
- Fade-resistant for cover against dust, sun, wind, and rain
- Strengthened by an Amazon Basics one-year short warranty.
- Oversized zipper closing with stay-dry covers; solid stitching; folds for small storage.
- It needs roof bars, crossbars, or another rack system, sort of a cargo container.
- The AmazonBasics rooftop cargo bag isn’t properly waterproof, though it can resist water for a limited time.
- No pad or other non-slip measures added on the underside of the bag
- Rooftop cargo carrier bag with 15-cubic-foot storage capacity
- 8 cinch straps with buckles for easy connection to a vehicle’s roof rack
- Waterproof and fade-resistant for protection against dust, sun, wind, and rain
- Oversized zipper closure with stay-dry flaps; strong seams; folds for compact storage; storage bag/carrying case included
- Backed by an Amazon Basics one-year limited warranty
Before buying a roof cargo carrier, you should consider some matters. Those are, how much space do you need? How would you like to get access to your cargo box? Do you like the hard-shell cargo box, or would you be okay with soft cargo carrier bags? How often are you going to use the cargo carrier?
Buying a roof cargo box for luggage will help you a lot to carry luggage as well as any other stuff, but you have to make sure that you buy a roof cargo box that is suitable for your car and satisfies your needs well. You will also need to consider the height of your garage door and whether or not you have enough space to store the cargo box when it is not in use. The roof mount cargo carrier bags might be more manageable to store than hard-shell cargo boxes.
Last Update : 2022-09-26