Road trips are often visualized as a scope of getting relief from our daily busy life. They allow us to get away from our daily routine’s shackles and will enable us to enjoy the natural beauty and feel the adventure of open roads.
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the best roof cargo boxes for your car. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Best Overall – Thule Motion XT Cargo Box
– Best Wide Range Options – Yakima Skybox Cargo Box
– Best Aerodynamic Design – INNO Wedge Plus Cargo Box
Whenever we plan for a trip, we think about exploring new places and regularly meet new people and about the adventures waiting around every bend of the road. But the critical part of our planning that we don’t think about is the suitable place to keep camping equipment or personal supplies.
If you are traveling with friends and your family members, you’ll hardly want to keep all the equipment on your car’s back and top. Even if you are traveling with only one person, you will not keep all of your stuff in your trunk. So you have to find a better way to keep all of your stuff legally. And thankfully, there is a solution, and that is roof boxes.
If you are going on a long trip for camping or a cross-country drive, a roof box is essential for you. They’re good-looking, smooth, durable, and spacious, and it can provide you a simple and easy solution to your storage problem. A roof box is a simple but very useful solution for the storage problem during a road trip. A roof box is a significant investment.
Now there are different kinds of roof boxes in today’s market. You’ll want to be sure that you are getting one of the best models on the market, suitable for your specific storage needs. So, let’s find a perfect roof box for you and what kind of roof boxes are perfect for your next trip.
Overview Of The 6 Best Rooftop Cargo Boxes:
Thule Motion XT XL Cargo Box:
This roof box is a perfect example of a sleek, aerodynamic, modern roof box. According to its size and storage capacity, it is perfect. For this fantastic combination, the Thule Motion XT XL is one of today’s best roof boxes.
You can get this roof box unit in both 16-foot and 22-foot. And its interior dimensions are 79 x 31.5 x 15.
The 22-foot long variant is the longer variant for roof boxes; it will be easy to fit safely on large vehicle’s roofs.
As we mentioned before, this box can give you access to both sides. So it will be easy to load or unload anything in it without any trouble. Also, you can use it in unfavorable weather conditions easily. It can easily stay in place when the weather is wet or snowy because it has a superior grip system.
The Thule Motion XT XL can bear 165 lbs. without any problem. In terms of safety, It is compatible with the One Key System, making it much easier to lock your roof box and keep your stuff safe.
Some of the other attractive advantages featured by Thule Motion XT are:
- A glossy white and black finish
- A lightweight fiberglass body
- Strong construction that helps to keep your stuff safe.
- Enough storage space for an average of five to seven skis or three to five snowboards
The Thule Motion XT XL will cost you nearly $800. Remember one thing; you will get what you are paying for, one of the best quality roof boxes. Moreover, you will carry skis or anything this kind of long stuff with this roof box.
- Roof-mounted cargo box provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
Thule Force XT Cargo Box:
This roof box is also from Thule. The Thule Force XT Cargo Box is available with a great amount of internal storage space. It is of 21 cubic feet, so it is excellent for those who will buy a roof box for going on longer trips. You will be able to carry skis or anything this kind of long stuff.
If you want to buy a giant roof box, then you have to accept more weight. This roof box also weighs 165 lbs.
The Thule Force Cargo Box has a torque indicator connected with the Power Click system; that’s why the roof box’s installation process is straightforward. All you have to do is just gradually press it into place, that’s it. Like the Thule Motion XL, it can give you access from each side also.
You’ll want to have a crossbar height of around 15.6 inches to mount your roof box. But this crossbar can make the installation process difficult for the Thule Force cargo box. Because we already mentioned that the size and aerodynamic-ness of this roof-box are perfect for those people who are looking for enough space to keep lots of materials in it without shifting to bigger and heavier clamshell boxes.
This Thule Force cargo box is more affordable than the Thule Motion XL. You can get it at around $600. If you want a high-quality roof box within a reasonable price, then the Thule Force XT rooftop cargo box is perfect for you.
Yakima Skybox Cargo Box:
You can get this roof box in different sizes, the starting size is 12 feet, and you can get it till 21 feet long. So you can pick the perfect size for you.
The SuperLatch security system is used to secure this roof box. Also, it is available with the Power Click system. You have to press the lid down, and it clicks into place. Moreover, the box model is available with SKS locks and gives you more security.
It also allows you to get access from both sides.
The design of the Yakima Skybox is wind resistant. You will get crossbars included with this roof box. You will be able to extend those crossbars at least 24 feet and a maximum of 42 feet.
- Fit more friends: Add more cargo space so you can bring more friends; SkyBox 21 fits gear for up to 5 people and is roomy enough for skis and snowboards up to 215 cm.
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference.
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle.
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind.
- Works with most racks: Fits YAKIMA round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required.
Yakima RocketBox Pro Cargo Box:
This roof box is designed for smaller vehicles. But if you want, then you will be able to use it for larger vehicles also. You will be able to use Yakima RocketBox Pro with or without any roof racks.
The Yakima RocketBox Pro is available with its mounting kit. So, if you want, you will install it with the crossbar and mounting equipment provided by the box, or you can use your roof rack. Moreover, you don’t have to use any tool to fit this box on your vehicle’s roof. So, installing and removing processes are so easy for it.
The Yakima RocketBox Pro box is available with dual-side access and opens with two sets of keys. Also, It’s available with SKS locks and a push-button lock system to secure this roof box. If you want to open it, you have to push the button, and if you’re going to shut it, you have to press the roof of the roof box.
It’s available with a matte black finish. It can resist air, so this will help you to get less drag and more gas mileage. You can buy this roof box at around $350. This roof box is excellent for those people who are looking for a perfect and specious roof box at a reasonable price. This roof box can carry anything as long as seven feet.
- Aerodynamic design to reduce drag with forward mounting hardware for improved hatch clearance making it great for small vehicles
- Perfect for SUVs, trucks and wagons; Quick-dial mounting hardware fits round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars; Hauls gear for up to 3 campers
- Dual-sided opening and push button security allow easy access on either side of your vehicle and ensure your lid is secure and your gear is safe with included SKS lock cores
- Love it 'Till You Leave It Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Ideal for wagons and SUVs in need of added storage space, the RocketBox Pro 14 installs easily and works with a variety of factory bars so you always have extra room when you're on the go
INNO Wedge Plus Cargo Box:
This roof box is also a smaller roof box than Thule. The box comes from INNO, can offer you just eight cubic feet worth of storage space. This high-quality roof box isn’t so costly. You can get this roof at around $490.
Made with a compact design, the size of this roof box is 80 x 33 x 13.75 on the outside and 72 x 25.6 x 11 from the inside, with a low hatch clearance of 12″. Besides, the INNO’s Wedge Plus Cargo Box weighs only 44 lbs. So you can carry it box easily. If you are looking for a much light roof box, then this roof box can be a good option for you.
INNO wedge plus cargo box can fit with most of the available roof racks. So you can install this roof box with any roof rack.
The INNO Wedge Plus Cargo Box is available in red and white colors & also available with black matte finishes. It is also available with a diffuser and 3D interior mat. That mat is specially designed to decrease the disturbing noise of items rolling around. So it’s best for quiet drives.
- Rugged matte Black finish
- Comes with inner mat protest your gear, nose reduction and easy to clean up
- Memory mount system, for the easiest installation and use of any cargo box on the market
- Widest range to slide front for minimal risk of contact hatch
- Dual side opening
Malone Profile 18S Cargo Box:
The Malone Profile 18S is made in Italy. The weight of this roof box is 165 lbs also. The size is 78.75 x 32.3 x 15.75. It is available with 18 cubic feet of storage space.
The top side of this roof box is glossy, and the bottom comes with a matte finish. Also, it can give you access to both sides. And secured with a centralized locking system.
The Malone Profile 18S is UV protected and is also abrasion-resistant. So you can say that this roof box is more durable. You can buy this roof box for just over $460. So this roof box is perfect for those people looking for a small and sturdy roof box.
When you go to buy a roof box, you will see thousands of options before you. But you have to choose a roof box that is perfect for you. Whenever you go on any trip, you want to enjoy freedom. And you may know that space is all about choice, so you have to make a perfect decision about buying your roof box. And after choosing an ideal roof box, you will be able to enjoy your trip perfectly.
Every roof box listed here is unique with its unique features. Every roof box is perfect for a particular type of use.
You have to make your decision carefully. Remember, why are you buying this roof box and which peculiarities are essential for you. See which roof boxes can fulfill your importance and then buy the best roof box for your next big adventurous trip.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Last Update : 2023-06-10