If you want to increase your car’s storage space, you will need to choose the right one to avoid any problems during the trip. Various kinds of roof cargo carriers are available on the market. But you are looking for something like a cargo box or a cargo bag. Then our article will help you to make the right decision.
Choosing between a roof cargo box and a roof cargo bag can be a little confusing. So you should find out the differences between the two and consider what features they are offering before you choose any.
In this article, you will find differences between cargo bags and cargo boxes so that you can consider which one you really need. It would be best if you chose a cargo carrier depending on your use, budget, and various other requirements. Whatever, It can be a little hard.
This article will help you to point out the advantages and disadvantages of both carrier systems so that you can get out of your confusion and make the right decision easily.
The Cargo Roof Box
A roof cargo box usually comes with a hard shell design. So they are more durable and secure. This type of carrier usually comes with locks to ensure the security of your important stuff. So you do not have to worry about your items getting snatched from your roof cargo box when you are away because it is securely locked. The strong and durable body of the cargo box will keep your items safe inside the cargo box from any kind of damage.
A roof cargo box will also protect your items from any kind of extreme weather condition, including rainstorms and moisture.
Moreover, a cargo box will help you to keep your items safe from any kind of shock during your trip. You can also choose the amount of storage space you need. Many roof cargo boxes can even provide you with more storage space than 22 cubic feet.
The Cargo Roof Bag
A roof cargo bag can easily provide you with a lot of storage space. The cargo carriers almost come with the same storage space as a roof cargo box. Some roof bags can even provide you with more than 18 cubic feet of storage space.
Soft roof cargo bags are very easy to store when they are not in use. This is one of the most interesting features of soft cargo bags. You just have to fold the cargo bag and keep it in a nice place. These cargo bags are very easy to use as well. Moreover, most of them do not require any roof rack to get installed on top of your car.
With a roof cargo bag, you will be able to carry any large or unusual-shaped items very easily because the body of these roof bags is flexible. Moreover, these roof cargo bags come with very affordable pricing.
They can keep your items safe from any kind of extreme weather conditions.
Differences Between Roof Boxes vs Roof Bags
After knowing about the main advantages of both types of cargo carriers, you now have to know about the difference between the two products to make a perfect decision. Here you will find some important information that will help you to make the correct decision.
If you want to install a cargo box on top of your car, that will require a roof rack. A roof cargo box is compatible with a particular type of roof rack. So if you already have a roof rack installed on top of your car that might not be compatible with the cargo box, you are willing to buy. But if you want to install a roof cargo bag on top of your car. No matter you have or do not have a roof rack installed, you will be able to attach the roof bag with your car.
A roof cargo box and a cargo bag will provide you with almost the same amount of storage space. But if you want to carry a huge amount of items with you, you should know that roof bags can provide you with a maximum of 18 cubic feet of storage space, but a cargo box is able to provide you with a maximum of 22 cubic feet of storage space. So if you want something to carry a lot of items, you should go for a roof cargo box.
In terms of security, a roof cargo box works great than a roof cargo bag. Most cargo boxes come with a locking system. Again there is the scope of adding an extra lock if you want to. Moreover, cargo boxes have a hard shell design.
In contrast, a roof cargo bag comes with a soft fabric construction that can be slit open with a knife. And there is no locking mechanism included. So if security is a concern for you, then you should choose a roof cargo box.
You have to consider what you will do when the cargo carrier is not in use. With a roof cargo bag, it is very easy to store when not in use. You can easily fold it in any shape you want and keep it in a safe little place.
But with a cargo box, you will not be able to do this. You will need to find a place where you can keep this cargo box. If you have a garage, that can be a good place to store your roof box, but that can be a real problem if you do not have any.
Again if you do not want to remove the cargo box from the roof of your car, then you have to remain careful about the height of your car while you are going to drive under a low bridge.
After all, if you are willing to spend a good amount of money on a cargo carrier, then you should go for a roof cargo box. But if you have a limited budget, then you can buy a roof bag.
There are many rood boxes available at a lower price that are comparable to the price of a cargo bag. Again there are many expensive cargo bags as well that are comparable to the price of cargo boxes.
Which One is Better?
To find the better option you should consider the following things.
- amount of Storage space
- Compatibility with vehicle
- How you will store it after use
Suppose you are not going to carry anything valuable to you. In that case, you should buy a cargo bag because it will save you a good amount of money while providing you with enough storage space, protection from any kind of extreme weather condition.
But if you want something that can carry your valuable items full of safety and you are willing to spend a good amount of money after it, then you should buy a roof cargo box. Because cargo boxes are more durable and they are weatherproof as well. They come with a lot of storage space, and they will keep all of your items safe.
After reading this article, now we hope that you will be able to consider whether you should buy a cargo box or a cargo bag. Happy shopping!
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Rooftop Cargo Boxes:
- SECURE & PROTECT YOUR GEAR in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell car top cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- WATERPROOF STORAGE FOR YOUR LUGGAGE with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- EASY & CONVENIENT LOADING AND UNLOADING from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED, EASY ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- MADE IN USA, LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Fits SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory racks (Check fit guide)
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal included
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic includes a key lock to secure contents in the box
- ABS construction that is durable and UV-resistant; Easy to clean with mild soap and water
- Min-max crossbars spacing: 23 5/8" - 29 3/4"; Max weight capacity: 100 pounds
- Cross Bars: Aluminum Bar Construction; Aluminum Mounting Brackets
- Cargo Box: Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- Capacity: 12 cu. ft. / Dimensions: 68" L x 31" W x 16" H
- Opens to 14. 75" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- Opens from the Side and Stays Open Till you Close It
- Menabo model "QUASAR" roof box with elegant profile and equipped with anti-theft lock. Quick and secure mounting via "U" hooks. Right opening side (passenger side)
- Maximum load: 50 kg / 110.2 Lb.
- Load capacity: 320 litres - Anti-theft system: Included
- Colour: rough black
- External dimensions (LxWxH) 128x90x38 cm - Internal dimensions (WxWxH) 120x82x34 cm.
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 inch
- External dimensions: 91.5 x 37.5 x 18 inches | Internal dimensions: 84.5 x 33 x 16 inches
- Roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Fits 5-7 pairs of skis / 3-5 snowboards
- Load capacity: 165 pounds | Product Weight: 55 pounds
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Full trunk access with minimal risk of contact with the cargo box, thanks to its forward position on the vehicle roof
- Easy to mount thanks to the PowerClick quick-mount system. The integrated torque indicator clicks when it’s properly mounted, ensuring fast and secure fitting
- Reinforced lid makes for a smooth, effortless dual-sided opening and closing
- An elegant, sporty design with seamless integration of the lid and the base that adds a distinctive look to any car
- A premium interior with integrated lighting and a felt-lined base for increased gear protection that enhances the user experience
- ▶️ Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H
- ▶️ Opens to 14" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- ▶️ Capacity: 10 cu. ft.
- ▶️ Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- OEM Style Cross Bars: Aluminum Bar Construction; Connects to Factory Roof Rails
- Cargo Box: Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- Overall Dimensions: 67" L x 30" W x 13" H
- Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- Includes Mounting Hardware & (2) Keys
You May Also Like…
- The 5 Best Roof Tents for Cars
- Best Rooftop Cargo Carrier: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Pack Roof Box?
- The 12 Best Roof Box for Golf Clubs
- The 9 Roof Box Hacks to Ensure That It Packed Safely
Last Update : 2021-07-10