To ensure safe usage of roof boxes, follow these hacks:
- Distribute weight evenly to prevent imbalance.
- Securely fasten the box and double-check before driving.
- Avoid exceeding the weight limit specified by the manufacturer.
Roof Box Hacks to Ensure The Safely
If you never used a roof cargo box on the top of your vehicle, there is a possibility of you not knowing how to start packing your items safely in your cargo box, but there is nothing to worry about.
If you choose the right roof cargo box, it will ensure the safety of your items. So you will be able to store your items inside of it with peace of mind.
There are several types of roof-mount cargo carriers available on the market. All of them are usually categorized into three main types. These are the hard-shell type known as roof cargo boxes, soft bag types known as cargo carrier bags, and basket type, which are usually made out of stainless steel or some other strong material.
You should always check out if the cargo carrier is compatible with your car. Most cargo carriers are compatible with most cars and racks, but you have to check before making any purchase.
You can pack your roof cargo box in several ways to keep them safe and secure while in the carrier. Whatever if you are looking for any tips to pack your roof cargo box even better than this article is for you. So keep reading.
1. Choose the Correct Rooftop Carrier First
If you are looking for something to carry a lot of items, you should go for a larger roof cargo carrier. Roof cargo carriers are usually available with eight cubic feet of storage space to more than 22 cubic feet of storage space. If you want to carry a lot of sports equipment like skis, snowboards, fishing rods, or suitcases with your cargo carrier, you should buy the cargo carrier that comes with 20 or more cubic feet of storage space that can carry all of your items comfortably.
If you just notice that you only need 20 cubic feet of storage space, it’s not a problem actually in contrast, and it is actually better than not having enough space to carry all your important items.
If you are tight on the budget but need a cargo carrier that can provide you with 20 cubic feet of storage space, there is still a solution for you: the cargo roof bag made by Xuliyme. It is a soft-type cargo carrier that comes with enough storage space for you, and it is durable also. It also comes with a waterproof design, and it is very easy to store when it is not in use.
It is also waterproof and easy to store away when you’re not using it.
2. Store Heavier Items in the Trunk First
While packing for a trip, you should start with the trunk of your car. You have to put all the heavy items inside the trunk, and after completing loading your trunk, you can now start to load in your roof cargo carrier. Because surely your car’s trunk comes with a heavier weight carrying capacity than the roof of your car.
If you just want to carry suitcases with your cargo carrier, then you can also consider buying a rooftop carrier basket; depending on the size of your suitcases, you will be able to carry two or more suitcases with this cargo carrier.
For instance, you can check out the XCAR carrier basket. It is a high-quality basket that is made out of a powder coating. So it will last for many years. It comes with six-inch of siding so that nothing you pack there falls out or gets damaged.
- Heavy-duty steel construction with black powder coating resists weather elements and corrosion, offering several years of long-lasting use
- Free up space in your vehicle with this roof rack cargo basket that can hold up to 150 lbs. Overall dimensions include: 64"(L) x 39"(W) x 6"(H).
- Four universal U-bolts,accommodating square cross bars up to 4.6" wide x 1.375" thick or round bars up to 1.375" in diameter
- Note - Please make sure your cross bar's distance is greater than 29.7 inch, if you want use the extension part
- This roof rack can store hauling extra luggage, camping equipment, cargo bags and more. Built for the outdoor adventurers lifestyle.
It also comes with a weight carrying capacity of 150 lbs; After loading all your items correctly, all your suitcases will remain safe and secure.
3. Make Sure That the Weight Is Distributed Evenly
You have to distribute the weight of your cargo evenly to the base of the cargo box. If you are going to carry a heavy suitcase and some other lighter items, then you should place the suitcase in the bottom and middle of the cargo carrier. And you have to put lighter items or any kind of sporting equipment such as skis, snowboards, and fishing poles on the upper side.
However, if you are only looking for a cargo box to carry a few items with it, you can check out the KEEPER 07202 Black Waterproof Rooftop Cargo Bag, which comes with 11 cubic feet of storage space. And it is one of the smaller options available on the market.
- Protect Your Cargo: Keeper Roof Top Cargo Bag features 11 cubic ft to protect and secure cargo loads from road grit, sun, wind and rain
- Measurements: This cargo bag measures approximately 34 in x 34 in x 16 in with rubber-laminated nylon material
- Features: Soft sides flex to fit odd-shaped loads and folds into a compact size for easy storage
- Ideal Use: Fits most roof racks on standard vehicles and smaller SUVs with attachment straps made from hi-test webbing and clips
- Disclaimer: Do not use bag without attaching to all four corners
You will be able to get this cargo carrier bag for around 50 dollars only which makes it a great deal. With this type of cargo bag, you will be able to carry any type of item that is unusual in size or shape.
Whether you are using a large cargo carrier or something smaller like this one, you always have to make sure that the weight is distributed evenly. While you pack heavier items in the bottom and lighter items on top of that, then there will be a lesser possibility of the items moving around while you start to drive your car.
There will also be a lesser risk of a heavy item damaging a lighter item while driving. This technique is very useful in keeping all your items safer and more secure inside the cargo carrier. No list of hacks for roof box packing is complete without this valuable tip.
4. Consider Wrapping Items in Plastic First
Most of the available roof cargo boxes on the market are made to be 100% waterproof or water-resistant. Still, many people wrap their important items with a piece of plastic as an extra precaution. Doing this will give you peace of mind that your items will be safe and dry during the whole trip.
When you are checking out a roof cargo box, and you want to buy a waterproof cargo box, you should look for the word “waterproof” in the description because “water-resistant” and “water-repellant” will not provide you with the same safety as a waterproof one. You can check out the BD Covers Cargo Roof Carrier 100% Waterproof Storage Travel Bag. It comes with a strong and 100% waterproof design. It can provide you with 15 cubic feet of storage space, and you will be able to get this cargo carrier bag for around 45 dollars.
This cargo carrier is made out of sturdy materials. So this carrier will keep your belongings nice and dry the entire time, even in heavy rains and bad weather conditions. Moreover, you will not face any ripping, tearing, or leaking.
If you buy a waterproof cargo carrier, you will not have to worry about any problems. All your items will be safe and dry during the whole trip, and you will be able to enjoy your trip to the fullest.
5. Always Tie the Box/Bag Down Properly
Roof cargo carriers usually come with strong straps so that you can attach them either to your vehicle itself or to the roof racks. The included straps will be thick and wide enough to fit your cargo carrier without considering its size or shape.
Without this tip, you will find no writing on hacks for roof box packing because you will always have to make sure that your cargo carrier is correctly secure. You should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions provided with the cargo box, and you have to use the straps in the right way.
If you are looking for a strong set of straps to make sure the cargo box you have already purchased is secured properly to your vehicle, then you should check out the tie-down hooks made by RoofPax. It comes with a set of six straps, and these straps are compatible with any type of vehicle that you own.
- 🚗 USE TOP CARGO TIE DOWN HOOKS For MAXimum Safely Tying Down any Car Top Cargo - NO MORE STRAPS GOING THROUGH THE INSIDE OF YOUR CAR, Which may be VERY dangerous and illegal in some states as inside strap tying might obstruct the Air-Bag from inflating properly. Setting the Patent Pending, RoofPax hooks create a strong loop to which you can tie down any straps of Roof Cargo Bag or any other Car Top Cargo from now on!
- 🚗 HOOKS - IN, CAR RACK - OUT! - Save 100s of $$$ by using the RoofPax 4+2 Car Door Frame Tie Down Hooks you can strap any mounted luggage you choose to carry on top of your car roof without any need for car rack or side rails. Whether it is a Cargo Carrier Bag, Kayak, SAP, Wind Surfer or Skies - Just quickly and easily install the hooks to the 4 car door frames and tie down securely any Car Top Cargo.
- 🚗 100% WATERPROOF SOLUTION - By securing the RoofPax Hooks between the car door rubber seal gasket and the door steel frame, you can rest assured that your door waterproofing abilities will stay intact. The cargo hooks are double coated with silicon to avoid leaving marks or damaging your car's paint.
- 🚗 UNIVERSAL FIT- The RoofPax Tie Down Hooks fit MOST car models, To ensure it fits yours, please check that the rubber door seals in your car can be peeled down enough to expose the car door metal frame where the hooks should be placed.
- 🚗 LIFETIME WARRANTY ON BREAKAGE OR TEAR - We, at RoofPax, manufacture our products, Like these RoofPax Hooks, In the highest quality and quality assurance standards, Therefore we can grant a lifetime warranty on breakage or tear. Our customers mean the world to our family business and our support team is ready to solve any problem 24/7. Register your Warranty on the RoofPax website.
Moreover, these straps will not make any unsightly marks on your vehicle because they come with a silicone coating, and they are fully waterproof also.
While using these straps, you should always follow the provided instructions so that after packing your roof cargo box, you will not have to worry about anything.
6. Make Sure That You Obey the Manufacturer’s Instructions
Every roof cargo carrier comes with user manuals and detailed instructions. And you should always follow those instructions strictly. If the instruction says that the weight carrying capacity of your roof cargo box is 150 lbs, then you should not load more than 150 lbs on that. Otherwise, it will damage your cargo carrier or the roof of your car.
Roof cargo carriers usually come with a weight carrying capacity from 75 lbs to 250 lbs. This amount also includes the weight of the carrier itself. So if you want to enjoy a beautiful trip without damaging anything, then you should not load more weight than the weight limit.
- Easy to assemble
- Heavy Duty sturdy Steel Construction
- Steel with fairing decreases wind resistance and noise
- All Mounting Hardware included
- It utilizes your vehicle's cross bars, easily mounting with four universal U-bolts, accommodating square cross bars up to 3.25" wide x 1.375" thick or round bars up to 1.375" in diameter.
If you are looking for a sturdy cargo carrier to carry 250 lbs worth of your items, then you should check out the cargo carrier basket made by Smarten. It can help you to decrease noise and resist drag. Moreover, it comes with its own cargo net. It is very easy to install, and it comes with all of the hardware that you will need to get this roof basket installed properly. It also comes with a great design, and it really looks good on top of a car.
7. Make Sure That You Get Familiar with Your Key System
Usually, a rooftop cargo carrier comes with a locking system to ensure the security of your items inside the cargo carrier while you are traveling. So it would be best if you always made sure that the carrier is locked securely before you leave for your destination. So we recommend you become familiar with your lock and key so that you always remember to lock the carrier each time you open it.
You see, it is not a hard thing to do. Still, it is very important because if you forget to lock the cargo carrier, you can end up losing your very important item or damaging your car or the cargo carrier or both.
You can check out the Goplus heavy-duty cargo box. It comes with 14 cubic feet of storage space. And you can find this roof cargo box available in grey, black, or white. It comes with an aerodynamic design. It is made out of Polycarbonate and ABS materials so that it will last for a very long time. It is very easy to install also.
- Perfect for Road Trip---Take the cargo box to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to store. Works on all vehicles with rack, suitable for cars, vans, SUVs, etc. Sleek aerodynamic design to reduce drag and has less noise.
- 14 Cubic Feet Cargo Box ---With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 14 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort, more capacity, more pleasure!
- Robust and Security Design---The roof cargo box is designed to withstand heavy use in different types of weather conditions. The metal lid stiffeners at the bottom makes the roof box more stable and safer. With the double-lock design for protecting your valuables.
- 【Note】This product is suitable for vehicles with rack (Compatible with 17” to 22.8” wide rack, the width of the crossbar should be less than 3.1 inches and the thickness should be less than 1.0 inches)
- High Quality Material---The roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PC material for long-lasting use, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 165 lbs capacity, suitable for round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars.
- Easy to Install---The Goplus roof box equipped with 4 quick connect anchors for easy install and super latch security ensures your lid secure to its base, and your gear is safe. Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle to increased efficiency and convenience.【Note: please do not open the openings on both sides at the same time. The key can only be removed after the cover is closed and locked.】
It is one of the most important hacks while packing a roof cargo box because it relates to the security of your items inside the cargo box.
8. Get Some Help!
While packing a roof cargo box that is on top of your car, you should always try to get some help from someone. Though this is not a hard task, it is good to have someone who can help you so that you can perfectly complete the task.
You can just stand on a ladder to pack your things inside the cargo carrier and let the person who is helping you hand the cargo to you from the ground. In this way, you will be able to do the job without any problem or doing too much bending. If you want to make these things easier, you should choose a cargo carrier that is easy to both install and remove from the roof of your car.
So you can check out a soft type cargo carrier because they are very easy to store while not in use. You just have to fold them up and keep them in a safe place when they are not in use. You can check out the STDY 20 Cubic Feet Rooftop Cargo The Carrier Bag. It is made out of soft material, and it is fully waterproof also. It comes with its own storage bag so that you can keep it in the bag when you are not using it.
- Rooftop Cargo Top Carrier
So it would be best if you always tried to get some help while packing a cargo carrier.
9. Know Which Type of Carrier You Need Before Buying One
This is the most important hack among all the hacks for roof box packing. There are many types of roof cargo carriers available on the market. You can find them in various designs, and shapes. They also come in various sizes and colors.
You may be concerned about choosing the right roof cargo box for you, so you should not make any decision in a hurry. Otherwise, you might end up buying the wrong roof cargo box. If you are looking for a cargo carrier to carry something with a large or unusual size, then you should consider a soft type roof cargo bag or a cargo box that comes with 20 cubic feet of storage space. Here are some things you should consider before buying a roof cargo box
- The type and size of your vehicle
- The items that you want to carry with the carrier
- The design and size of the carrier
- If your car has a factory-installed roof rack
There are endless types of vehicle models on the market. So it would be best if you always made sure that the cargo carrier you are going to buy is compatible with your car, and in order to do that, you always need to check the instructions from the user manual.
You will easily find all the necessary details in the manual, and it is important to find out what you are using the cargo carrier for and which one will be the best for you.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Last Update : 2024-02-24