When it is a matter of roof boxes, the name “Thule” always comes on top. Am I right or wrong?! Definitely right! Thule roof boxes are the perfect solution and great assistance for your traveling task. Since its inception, it has been ruling over the roof box market worldwide. Nevertheless, sometimes people struggle with how to install a Thule roof box in the car.
If you’re a vivid traveler, outdoor sports enthusiast, or a passionate family member who needs additional luggage, the Thule roof box might be a perfect solution for you. Besides, it is safe, quick, and superb in each way. This article will discuss how to install a Thule roof box in the car. Let’s go down to find out –
How to Fit a Thule Roof Cargo Box – Instructions and Guidelines
Almost all car experts recommend not traveling with an empty roof box on the head of the car. It will make scratches on the rooftop of the vehicle as well as make a negative impact on the fuel efficiency. The result? Your car’s durability gets affected and the fuel consumption increases badly. As a result, your cost of fuel will also widen significantly.
With that said, purchasing a roof cargo box that is quite effortless to attach and remove is highly recommended. Since Thule is an expensive and high-end product, you should focus on buying the box that you can fix and remove without hassle.
Additionally, a roof rack is a much-needed tool if you want to install a Thule roof cargo box in your vehicle.
Yes, some vehicles automatically contain built-in roof racks. However, many cars don’t possess a roof rack at all. In such a case, you’ll need to purchase a roof rack by yourself from the market. Henceforth, those roof racks are primarily compatible with Thule since this is the leader in the roof box market.
Things You Should Notice Before Purchasing a Roof Rack
Before purchasing a roof rack for your beloved Thule roof box, you have to check out some essential things such as –
- Before buying or installing the rack, ensure whether it is adjusted with the roof box or not. However, Thule is the leading brand in the roof box arena. Therefore, almost all the top roof rack companies manufacture a product that can accommodate Thule.
- Before installing the rack, closely check whether the locks are working or not. It’s imperative.
- Check whether the roof rack is strong enough to hold the roof box for an extended period.
Installing a Thule Roof Box in the Car
We guess you’ve purchased a sophisticated and correct roof rack for the Thule roof box. It’s time to install the box in the vehicle. Our guidelines will make it easy for you to install the Thule roof box in the car. Therefore, let’s keep reading the instructions before installing the roof box. Here we go –
Your roof box possesses two canals on the bottom side. You can easily use these canals to take the box onto the rack. Perhaps, you could take somebody’s help to do it. The main point is you’ve to do the task thoroughly so the box won’t face any problems.
Place the box in a way that it keeps enough distance from roof antennas. On the other side, it will stay adequate space from the rear so that you can still open the partition without a problem.
When you put the correct roof rack in the vehicle, it’s time the roof box must sit forward with each crater side-by-side.
The Thule roof box manufacturing company usually provides four roof bar securing sections. They will surely fit into the box without a problem. Further, In order to slot the brackets into the right place, lift the roof box cover and find the slots.
There should be four slots installed in the four corners of the Thule box. Now, you’ve to steadily shove the bracket through the slots and grip each one anti-clockwise until you hear a signature click. It means that you’ve made it! You are successful in placing the Thule box in the correct position.
In addition, the bracket mustn’t catch the roof of the vehicle.
Now, you’re ready to load the Thule cargo box. Before putting the belongings in the cargo, you must check its overall roof load capacity. Henceforth, you can check this on the user’s manual or the car’s manufacturer’s website. Don’t put too many things on the roof box. Yes, Thule is a highly advanced product.
However, you should be cautious before making it jammed with too many belongings.
If you completely load the Thule roof box, you can now close the cover of the box. But, be careful that nothing can prevent the cover from closing entirely. Afterward, close the lid with the lock mechanism.
How to Remove the Thule Roof Box?
Removing the Thule roof box isn’t that difficult job indeed. All you need to do is follow some simple tricks. Firstly, unfasten the knobs inside the box until the clasp fully opens. Furthermore, those who possess U-shaped bolts and plates must unfasten the knobs and remove the bolts.
After that, you will be able to remove the Thule roof box from the rack. You can do the whole task in the case of a small-sized Thule box. But, it will be safe if you hire any professional regarding a larger box.
How to Install a Thule Roof Box? – FAQs
Can I open my Thule roof box without a key?
No, it’s not possible. You can’t unlock a Thule roof box without a key. All the Thule roof box generally comes with two or three keys. So, you should keep one key in your ring while keeping the other keys in a safe place.
How can I repair my Thule roof box?
Thule roof box is a highly advanced product. It doesn’t damage easily. Nevertheless, you can repair it at home with liquid rubber, epoxy, etc., in case of minor damage. On the other hand, if the product has been damaged hugely, take it to a plastic repair center. You can get Thule’s replacement parts quite conveniently available on the market.
What are Thule roof boxes made of?
Thule roof boxes are made of high-quality ABS material. These are high-end elements that shaped the box much sturdier.
Is it necessary to get a roof rack for Thule boxes?
Of course, it is. Without a roof rack, it’s not possible to fit a Thule roof box. Besides, the box will be more secured with a roof rack. So, a roof rack is necessary for sure.
Final Say – It’s time to use the Thule!
Thule boxes are made of high durability, are long-lasting, and are convenient to use. Moreover, there’s basically zero complication in installing a Thule roof box in the car. But, you’ve to check out the overall capacity of the box before purchasing. On the other hand, don’t forget about using it effortlessly.
So, what’s your opinion regarding our article? Do you think it fills your knowledge? If yes, then please let us know about your experience. By the way, thanks for reading the article! Stay blessed and happy installing!
Best Seller List of Thule Roof Cargo Boxes:
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Full trunk access with no roof box contact
- Fits 5-7 pairs of skis / 3-5 snowboards (up to 195 cm)
- External dimensions: 82.75 x 33.75 x 17.25 inches
- Internal Dimensions: 77.5 x 29.5 x 15.25 inches
- Load capacity: 165 lbs; Product Weight: 47 lbs
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
- Full trunk access and no roof box contact
- Lid automatically locks in place and indicates a secure closure (One Key System compatible)
- Fits 5-7 pairs of skis / 3-5 snowboards
- External dimensions: 91.5 x 37.5 x 18 inches; Internal dimensions: 84.5 x 33 x 16 inches
- Load capacity: 165 lbs; Product Weight: 55 lbs
- ▶️ This roof top storage box is universal fit for mounting to max 13 inches wide cross bar, please check the dimension before purchase.
- ▶️ The package comes with  53 inches length storage box,  security lock key, and  heavy duty tool free installation mounting brackets.
- ▶️ It is constructed of rugged, impact-resistant ABS material to ensure a long lasting life in outdoor conditions. More, it can open from the side and stay open till you close it with the strong support arm.
- ▶️ Opens on the passenger side to 14 inches wide to store bulky items from the side and stays open till you close it, and it is very easy to install without any tool required to assembly.
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H | Capacity: 11 Cubic Feet and up to 110 LBS
- Perfect for Road Trip---Take the cargo box to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to store. Works on all vehicles with rack, suitable for cars, vans, SUVs, etc. Sleek aerodynamic design to reduce drag and has less noise.
- 14 Cubic Feet Cargo Box with Car Trunk Organizer---With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 14 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort, more capacity, more pleasure! Included trunk organizer comes with 3 different size compartments, 12 side bags which will help you organize sundries with ease.
- Robust and Security Design---The roof cargo box is designed to withstand heavy use in different types of weather conditions. The metal lid stiffeners at the bottom makes the roof box more stable and safer. With the double-lock design for protecting your valuables.
- 【Note】This product is suitable for vehicles with rack (Compatible with 17” to 22.8” wide rack, the width of the crossbar should be less than 3.1 inches and the thickness should be less than 1.0 inches)
- High Quality Material---The roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PC material for long-lasting use, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 165 lbs capacity, suitable for round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars.
- Easy to Install---The Goplus roof box equipped with 4 quick connect anchors for easy install and super latch security ensures your lid secure to its base, and your gear is safe. Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle to increased efficiency and convenience.【Note: please do not open the openings on both sides at the same time. The key can only be removed after the cover is closed and locked.】
- 【UNIVERSAL】This extra long rooftop cargo carrier fits for vehicles with cross bars only, no tool assembly & installation. Increases vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort.
- 【LARGE CAPACITY】Rooftop cargo box provides 11 cubic feet of additional storage space. The maximum storage capacity of 110lbs when evenly distributed. And it can be opened up to 14" wide to store bulky items.
- 【ROBUST DESIGN】Constructed of rugged, impact-resistant ABS material for long-lasting durability, able to protect your contents from exposure to the inclement weather.
- 【SECURITY LOCKING SYSTEM】Includes key and lock to secure valuables in the box, to ensure cargo safety and s proper lid alignment. It can open from the side and stays open til you close it.
- 【SPECIFICATION】Size: 11 Cubic Feet Internal Storage, 110lbs Max Capacity | Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H | Surface Finish: Black Texture Finish
- Complete four-pack of bags for organizing the roof box or trunk load
- Easy access to your gear through oversized, wide mouth opening
- Quickly access smaller items through external stash pocket
- Padded shoulder strap and multiple grip handles for comfortable carry
- Side handles for convenient handling in the roof box
- Included color coded ID cards make bag identification quick and easy
- Made from lightweight yet durable fabric (600D Ripstop Nylon)
- Folds flat for easy storage when not in use
- Volume: 60L
- Individual bag weight: 1.7 lbs
- UNLOAD FROM BOTH SIDES - the patent-pending dual side-opening design allows you conveniently load and unload your travel luggage and gear from both sides of the rooftop cargo carrier so you're out of the way of traffic while you unload
- FUEL EFFICIENT DESIGN - the aerodynamic design of the roof rack cargo carrier reduces drag and wind resistance to minimize fuel economy disruption. The 18 cu ft carrier measures 57" x 38.5" x 17.75" and the 10 cu ft carrier is 46.5" x 30.5" x 17.75"
- SECURE LOCKING SYSTEM - this car top carrier secures your luggage with a four-corner cam locking system to ensure that the lid won't blow open while you're on the road with a keyed theft-resistant lock for peace of mind at stops. Includes 2 keys
- WATERPROOF & UV RESISTANT - proudly made in the USA, this waterproof rooftop cargo box is manufactured from durable, all weather high-density polyethylene material that includes a built-in UV stabilizer that resists cracking and fading
- MOUNTS TO CROSS BARS - the car rooftop cargo carrier is a quick and easy no-tool installation and allows you to mount to your vehicle's cross-bars (not included). Pre-drilled mounting holes for cross-bar attachment are drilled 24" on center
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 14 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
- Thule Comfort Key can only be removed when all locking points are securely closed
- Fits 3-5 snowboards (max length: 155 cm)
- External dimensions: 67 x 35 x 16 inches; Internal dimensions: 61 x 33 x 14 inches
- Load capacity: 110 lbs; Product weight: 34 lbs
- Height off crossbar: 16 inches. Fast and secure mounting
- SPACIOUS, STYLISH, AND AERODYNAMIC: Linings blends in seamlessly with your vehicle. 17.7 Cu Ft (500 L) of cargo capacity provides ideal storage for skis, snowboards, boots, helmets, duffel bags, and still leaves room for your other gear. Supports up to 130 lbs (60 kg) weight capacity.
- SECURE AND WATER-RESISTANT: Central locking system ensures that the key cannot be removed until the box is locked. Weather-resistant & water-resistant. Comes with 4 (four) keys and straps.
- TOOL-FREE INSTALLATION AND UNIVERSAL FITMENT: Comes fully assembled and ready to mount on your vehicle. Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal. Fits vehicles with roof racks/crossbars (Roof racks are not included).
- DUAL-SIDE OPENING AND CLOSING: Convenient loading and unloading of your gear from both sides of the cargo box. Dual side opening also helps with easy mounting and demounting the carrier from your vehicle.
- HIGH-QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made from heavy-duty, UV-resistant, and impact-resistant ABS material. Lightweight, sturdy and durable. Made in Turkey, Assembled in the U.S.A.
- Car Top Carrier: Our convenient roof cargo carrier allows you to keep your gear up top, so you can transport belongings and passengers without compromising on safety, comfort, or convenience
- Intuitive Features: Specially designed to keep your gear dry, our waterproof car roof cargo carrier features welded seams, an urethane-coated zipper, and a hook-and-loop-close zipper flap
- Quality Construction: Constructed of UV-protected PVC semi-coated mesh, our durable vehicle cargo carriers are designed to keep your belongings dry and won't fly off your roof
- Simple Setup: Simply attach the straps of the roof bag to your vehicle’s roof rack or use the included car clips to attach the straps to your vehicle’s door frame weather molding
- Seamless Storage: Our rooftop cargo bag folds down for storage in the included stuff sack; Car roof bag, 4 attachment straps, 4 car clips, and stuff sack with sewn-in setup guide included
Last Update : 2023-09-29