There are endless types of roof boxes available on the market. If you have an SUV, sedan, or across the back, you will easily find a roof cargo box for your car. As with cars, roof cargo boxes also come with various designs, sizes, and different price tags. You can even find a roof box that is perfect for you if you are on a tight budget.
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the best Ford Explorer Roof Cargo Carriers. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Overall Best – Thule Vector Rooftop Cargo Box
– Editor’s Choice – Thule Motion XT Rooftop Cargo Box
Many roof boxes are specially designed for a type of car. So if you have a Ford Explorer SUV, you can easily find a perfect roof cargo box for your car. Many of these roof boxes are universal also. So they will fit with any SUV car. Many roof boxes are also available in different colors, so you can choose the color that matches your Ford Explorer SUV color.
Here you will find some of the best roof boxes for SUVs, such as the Ford Explorer, which are available on the market today.
Roof Box Advantage & Disadvantage
The most important feature of a roof cargo box is that it provides a lot of extra storage space so that you can carry a lot of cargo. Moreover, most of the roof cargo box is compatible with a huge amount of vehicle designs. Some of them are easy to install and made from durable materials. Some roof cargo boxes also provide a waterproof feature.
The disadvantage of a roof cargo box is that it affects the fuel economy, and in the case of electronic cars, it will lessen the range. They also come with limited space for taller items. But after all, these disadvantages are tolerable in front of the benefits provided by a roof cargo box.
Best Ford Explorer Roof Cargo Carriers:
1. Thule Vector Roof Box
The Thule Vector is an elegant, stylish design with seamless integration of the lid, and the base adds a distinctive look to any car. It is made with a smooth and aerodynamic design capable of storing up to 165lbs of gear. The Vector fits 3-5 sets of skis, has felt-lined storage, motion-activated LED lights for better visibility at night, flush-mount closure for included security, double side opening to access equipment from either side of the vehicle, and also a strengthened lid.
The sleek and also modern Thule Vector rooftop cargo box finds balance in power through function! It looks great on any type of roofline while storing and transporting things securely on top of your vehicle.
- Dual-Side Opening: The reinforced lid makes for a smooth, effortless dual-sided opening and closing.
- The rear of Vehicle Access: Full trunk gain access to with minimal danger of contact with the cargo box, thanks to its forward setting on the car roof.
- Secure SlideLock System: The SlideLock system with different locking and opening features automatically secures the lid in place and shows when the box is closed securely.
- PowerClick Quick-Mount System: Easy to install to the PowerClick quick-mount system. The integrated torque indicator clicks when it’s correctly installed, ensuring quick and protection suitably.
- Premium Interior: A premium interior with integrated lighting and a felt-lined base for increased gear protection enhances the user experience.
- Built-in LED-Light: A white-colored interior of the lid combined with a LED light facilitates loading and unloading at night.
- A sleek, aerodynamic cargo box with premium features that compliments the styling of modern vehicles
- Fits 3-5 pairs of skis (up to 200 cm in length)/3-4 snowboards
- Premium felt-lined interior base for increased protection of gear
- Bright, motion-activated LED lights and white interior allow for visibility during nighttime use
- Exclusive flush-mount closure and reinforced lid provides effortless, dual-side opening and closing
2. Thule Pulse Roof Box
If you want to go on snowboarding and want to carry your snowboards and skis or go on trips with your family, Thule Pulse is a great roof box for you. So you don’t have to pay some extra money to rent anything.
It can easily accommodate three to five snowboards without any problem. This box is secured with the central locking system, and you can only remove the key when the box is closed and locked correctly.
It is made from textured ABS material, and this box can protect your stuff when you are on the road. So, you don’t have to worry about your item’s security.
The lid of this roof box opens on the passenger side so you can get access to this roof box without being in danger of standing closed to traffic.
- Rugged and durable design is long-lasting and keeps contents protected during transit.
- Fast and secure fitting using only one hand due to FastGrip quick-mount system that assembles in moments.
- Passenger-side opening for easier loading and unloading.
- The central locking system provides maximum safety. The grip-friendly Thule Comfort key can only be removed if all locking points are securely closed.
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 14 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
3. Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite Cargo Box:
This magnificent large 21 cubic feet roof box weighs 75 lbs. It can carry only 28 kg because of its size. At the 21 cubic feet volume range, the other Yakima roof boxes can carry more weight.
The Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite can also give you access from the dual side, and it is available with a super latch, which makes the opening and closing easier. The tapered exterior of this roof box is stunning. And it can reduce drag. You can install it without any tools.
To install it, You have to follow the following steps only:
- Open the lid
- Release the clamps
- Loosen the thumbwheels
- Position the roof box on your roof rack crossbars
- Slide it back so that the clamps engage the load bars
- Tighten the thumbwheels
- Then engage your lever clamps.
That’s it! After completing these steps now, your Yakima Skybox Carbonite is correctly installed on the roof of your vehicle, and it will not slide down from your roof bars. If it does slip, open the lid of your roof box and tighten the levers to secure it.
The price of this roof box is as like as the Thule. Now you can ask us why you should buy the Skybox? Then the answer is – It is available with lid stiffeners, which makes it much durable than the Thule. Moreover, the installation process for this roof box is more comfortable than the Thule cargo box also. It only takes minutes.
Some important feature of Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite:
- Tool-free installation
- 21 cubic feet
- Load capacity 28 kg
- Fit more friends: Add more cargo space so you can bring more friends; SkyBox 12 fits gear for up to 3 people and is roomy enough for skis and snowboards up to 215 cm
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind
- Works with most racks: Fits YAKIMA round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required
4. Thule Hyper XL Rooftop Cargo Box:
The sleek design of this box makes it one of the most aerodynamic roof boxes on the market. The aerodynamic design helps it to reduce drag and noise.
Not only this roof box is exceptionally aerodynamic, but also it can carry up to 110 pounds at a time. So if you want to pack a lot of items in your roof cargo box when you are going on a trip with your family or friends, then this roof cargo box could be an excellent option for you.
The rear-angled base and the expanded mounting points make the installation process very easy for this roof cargo box. Moreover, these also help you to get access to this box quickly. These also don’t make any problem in opening the door of the trunk of your car.
This box’s mounting system makes a click sound if you connect this roof cargo box with your Honda Odyssey correctly to ensure that your roof cargo box is secured and let you know that you are ready to ride.
- Patented AeroNose Design reduces drag and noise making it the most aerodynamic box available.Load capacity 110 lb
- Reinforced Ultra-Thick Lid and Base for maximum durability
- Patented Rear-Angled Base and expanded vehicle mounting points help maximize trunk and hatch clearance
- AcuTight Mounting “clicks” when you reach optimal hold to ensure your box is secured to the rack
- Integrated Light for nighttime loading and unloading
5. Rhino-Rack MasterFit Roof Box
If you are looking for something to transport snow skis or fishing equipment, the Rhino-Rack MasterFit roof box can be a great option for you. It is compatible with Ford Explorer SUV as well as many other SUVs also. It is made out of sturdy ABS plastic, and it comes with a sleek design that really looks great. The design also helps the roof box to resist drags and save your fuel bill.
The roof box allows you to “twist to tighten and press to lock,” making it very easy to use. It is very easy to install also. It comes with all the hardware.
Finding a roof cargo box for an SUV is not a big deal. Many roof boxes are universal so that they can fit with any type of SUV car. You should consider the weight because it will let you know that it will fit your vehicle.
No products found.
6. Thule Motion XT Rooftop Cargo Box
The Thule Motion XT is a perfect example of a sleek, aerodynamic, modern roof box. According to its size and storage capacity, it is perfect. For this fantastic combination, the Thule Motion XT is one of today’s best roof boxes.
You can get this roof box unit in both 16-foot and 22-foot. And its interior dimensions are 79 x 31.5 x 15. The 22-foot long variant is the more extended variant for roof boxes; it will be easy to fit safely on large vehicle roofs.
As we mentioned before, this box can give you access to both sides. So it will be easy to load or unload anything in it without any trouble. Also, you can use it in unfavourable weather conditions easily. It can easily stay in place when the weather is wet or snowy because it has a superior grip system.
It is so handy and easy to use. And it is available with an easy mounting system. With its mounting system, you will be able to install this roof box within five minutes. Also, it’s sturdy and functional with a locking system. If you accidentally leave your roof box unlocked, that locking system can keep your roof box secured. It has a smooth and aesthetic design.
The Thule Motion XT can bear 165 lbs. without any problem. In terms of safety, It is compatible with the One Key System, making it much easier to lock your roof box and keep your stuff safe. If you want to go on trips frequently with your roof box, then this one could be an excellent choice for you.
Some of the other attractive advantages featured by Thule Motion XT are:
- A glossy white and black finish
- A lightweight fiberglass body
- Robust construction helps to keep your stuff safe.
- Enough storage space for an average of five to seven skis or three to five snowboards
The Thule Motion XT will cost you nearly $800. But remember that; you will get what you are paying for, one of the best quality roof boxes. Moreover, you will carry skis or anything this kind of long stuff with this roof box.
- Roof-mounted cargo box provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Roof Box:
There are a variety of roof boxes available on the market. Among them, To choose the ideal roof box for your Ford Explorer, you have to consider the following things:
- Ease of attaching the box
- How you can access your contents
- The size of the box
- How secure the box is
- The durability of the box
- Security of the locking system
- Amount of storage space
- How are you going to store your roof box when you’re not using it
- If it’s waterproof
- Aerodynamics of the box
- If the lid is designed to stay open easily
If you want the best rooftop cargo Box for your Ford Explorer, you can choose one from this list. After buying one of these roof carriers, now you are ready to ride with comfort and go on a trip with your family members or friends without worrying about enough storage space for your items.
After deciding, pick the perfect roof cargo box from this list for your next journey. After installing your roof box and packing all your important items in it, you will be able to enjoy a more comfortable ride.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Last Update : 2023-01-25