If you want to go on a trip very recently, you will need to make sure that you have enough storage space to carry all of your important things.
People who want to go on a trip during their vacation or those who want to go on a camping trip usually like to use roof cargo boxes. These rooftop cargo boxes enable you to get your luggage and other items on the top of your vehicle.
There are various kinds of roof cargo boxes available on the market, and before you buy one of these roof cargo boxes, you need to acquire a lot of information. By reading this article, you will learn all about these cargo boxes, and you will be able to find the right one for you.
So it would be best if you took the time to read through all this important information, and you will also find all of your answers to any questions about these cargo boxes.
Are Rooftop Cargo Boxes Worth it?
Making sure if you really need a roof cargo box is pretty simple. You need to consider how much you want to go on trips and what type of things you need to take with you. If you want to take a large amount of stuff on your trip or to your vacation destination, then you should buy a roof cargo box and install it on top of your car. These cargo boxes make it very much easier to carry your luggage and other necessary items.
So before you buy any of these roof cargo boxes for your car, you have to make sure that you really need one. You have to consider many things, such as whether your belongings will pleasantly fit in your vehicle, is there be enough space for everyone to sit with your luggage in the car? It actually depends on how large your family is or how many people you will take with you on your next trip.
If you go on road trips regularly and you take four people or more on your trips, then having a roof cargo box will really be great for you. You may have to spend a good quality roof cargo box a good amount of money, but a good quality roof box is really worth the money because you can carry all of your important items with you on your trips.
These cargo boxes are very famous among both people who go on trips regularly and people who go on a trip once or twice a year. It is a secure way to carry the items that also help you make enough space to accommodate your family members or friends in your vehicle.
Most of the available roof cargo boxes are fairly priced as well. You should have a budget of at least $300 or more for buying a normal roof cargo box. This is surely an affordable price, and you will be getting something that will be useful to you, and it will also last for many years. Some cargo boxes are available at more affordable prices, such as the Thule Sidekick Cargo Box.
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External Dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 in
It would be best if you found a roof cargo box that has the ability to fulfill your needs within your budget. If you do not have a lot of money to buy a roof cargo box, then you might look for a rooftop cargo bag. These types of cargo carriers work just like the hard cargo boxes, but they do not come with a hard shell design as the cargo boxes do. These cargo bags usually are made out of waterproof materials so that they can keep all of your items safe and dry during the trip.
So we recommend you take the time to consider all of your choices and then choose the best cargo box that will work great for you. If you are on a tight budget, then something like a rooftop cargo bag will work great for you. If you need to carry a lot of things, then buying a large-sized cargo box will be great.
If you perfectly consider your requirements, it will never be hard to spend your cash carefully.
Do You Need a Roof Rack?
Many people do not know that you will need a roof rack if you really want to install a roof cargo box on top of your car. If you don’t previously have a roof rack installed on your vehicle, you have to buy a roof rack system that is compatible with both your car and the roof cargo box you will buy. Besides, many vehicles come with a factory-installed roof rack as a conventional feature. It is also likely to purchase and install them on your car without it being too big of a deal.
Moreover, there are different kinds of aftermarket roof rack systems available on the market. So you can also consider them. When you are for the right roof rack system for your vehicle, you need to make sure that it can manage the proper quantity of items.
All the roof racks will be rated for a certain amount of weight carrying capacity. For instance, a roof rack might be able to handle up to 150 lbs of weight.
If you successfully buy a roof rack that will work for the amount of weight you want to carry, you are one step closer. The roof rack also needs to fit with the vehicle which you will take on your trips. Some cars are going to be too little for the usual roof racks, while others will be too large.
Finding a roof rack that will work great with your vehicle is not a very hard task, though. To complete this job perfectly, you need to spend a bit of time and make sure to research online. After getting a roof rack installed on top of your car, you’ll be able to install a compatible roof cargo box on it whenever you want. You will be able to use the roof rack for much other work also.
Many people tie their luggage down to the top of the rack by using high-quality ropes. Sometimes people also use these racks to transport things such as bicycles. So you can understand that there are so many uses of a roof rack system.
Most of these roof racks are very easy to install, even on your own. They usually come with all the things you will need to install the roof rack; they also come with detailed instructions. So after buying a compatible roof rack for your vehicle, you will have an easy time while camping,
Are Rooftop Cargo Carriers Safe?
Roof cargo boxes are designed to carry your items with enough security. Many roof cargo boxes require an assembly process in order to get them installed on top of your car. These cargo boxes will require the use of sturdy bolts and reinforcement plates to install the box to your roof rack. This helps the cargo box stay in place while driving, and it should be really steady.
The more cost-effective alternative to the roof cargo box is the roof cargo bag. However, these bags will not provide you the same amount of security as the cargo boxes. Roof cargo bags can be attached to the roof rack by being tied down using heavy-duty straps. Usually, the included straps will help the bag stay in place, and they are also able to provide a sturdy quality.
If you are interested in experiencing the safest experience possible, then you should go for a rugged roof cargo box. With one of these boxes, your items will be more secure, and you will be able to feel peace of mind while driving. It roof cargo boxes are comparably hard to install than usual roof cargo boxes, but they will be very dependable once your job is completed.
You will be installing them with the strongest bolts possible, and you will face no problem even when you will drive through uneven terrain. Moreover, these cargo boxes can usually be locked with multiple locks. If you are worried about anyone getting into your roof cargo box while you are resting at a hotel, you should use the locking mechanism of the cargo box and enjoy peace of your mind.
- Perfect for Road Trip---Take the cargo box to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to store. Works on all vehicles with rack, suitable for cars, vans, SUVs, etc. Sleek aerodynamic design to reduce drag and has less noise.
- 14 Cubic Feet of Cargo Space---With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 14 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort, more capacity, more pleasure!
- Robust & Security Design---The roof cargo box is designed to withstand heavy use in different types of weather conditions. The metal lid stiffeners at the bottom makes the roof box more stable and safer. With the double-lock design for protecting your valuables. 【Note】This product is suitable for vehicles with rack (the width of the luggage rack is adjusted to between 16.1 inches and 24.8 inches, and the width of the roof crossbar is less than 3.1 inches).
- High Quality Material---The roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PC material for long-lasting use, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 165 lbs capacity, suitable for round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars.
- Easy to Install---The Goplus roof box equipped with 4 quick connect anchors for easy install and super latch security ensures your lid secure to its base, and your gear is safe. Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle to increased efficiency and convenience.
Roof cargo boxes such as the Goplus Cargo Box are designed with a double lock feature that assures that they will keep your items safe. You will be able to keep your things in the cargo box without worrying about anyone stealing from you.
Are Roof Cargo Boxes Waterproof?
If you are going to travel a long distance, it is very important to consider different conditions. Because during you are driving over the country, there is a good chance that you will face the rain at some point.
When it is raining, you want to ensure that all your belongings are safe and dry. You will be very happy to know that most of these roof cargo boxes come with either waterproof or water-resistant designs.
Your roof cargo box will be compatible with pretty much any extreme weather condition. These cargo boxes are made to tolerate heavy rainfall, snow, and even more.
You will be able to ensure that your belongings are dry and safe even when it is raining hard outside. This makes it a lot easier to go on a trip during the rainy season without worrying about your belongings’ safety.
You also need to know that roof cargo bags are also made to be water-resistant. So if you are planning to buy a rooftop cargo bag, you should try to buy the one that comes with the great build quality. The best roof cargo bags will be very water-resistant or waterproof, and they will also do a great job of keeping your valuable items dry and safe inside the box.
They might not be as good as hard shell roof cargo boxes in handling large amounts of stuff, but they will be able to resist the rainwater to damage your items without giving you any problem. Not all roof cargo boxes and roof cargo bags are good at keeping water away from your cargo. So make sure to do research and look through all of the available cargo carrier options. After that, you will be able to find the cargo carrier that will suit your needs the best.
Read More: Are Roof Cargo Boxes Waterproof?
Are Roof Box Makes Noise?
While buying a roof cargo box, some people become concerned about whether or not the roof cargo box is going to make uneasy noise. It is right that some roof boxes might make some noise while you are driving.
Most of the famous cargo boxes that are available on the market today do come with aerodynamic designs. The more aerodynamic the roof cargo box is, the less noise it will make. The noise actually comes when the wind hits the cargo box.
Sometimes these noises become so intolerable, and sometimes the noise will be so low that you will hardly notice at all. That’s why it is very important to find out a quiet roof cargo box.
The Yakima SkyBox is an excellent cargo box with an aerodynamic design, and it is as quiet as possible. The shape of this roof cargo box resists drag so well that’s why it crates very low wind noise. Most people do not even notice the wind noise when using a roof cargo box that comes with an aerodynamic design. Many other cargo boxes on the market will offer you a comparable experience also.
- Fit more friends: Add more cargo space so you can bring more friends; SkyBox 12 fits gear for up to 3 people and is roomy enough for skis and snowboards up to 215 cm
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind
- Works with most racks: Fits YAKIMA round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required
So it would be best if you found an aerodynamic cargo box option. Aerodynamic roof boxes are available in all sizes as well. Whether you are looking for a smaller cargo box or you are looking for something larger than average, you will always be able to find an aerodynamic option available.
If you are going to go on a long-distance trip, then buying an aerodynamic roof cargo box for less wind noise will surely going to be a good idea for you. So we recommend you choose a good roof cargo box that is as quiet as possible in order to enjoy the most calming experience while driving.
After knowing everything, you will need to find the right roof cargo box for you; it will be a lot easier to make the right decision. There are many fabulous roof cargo boxes available on the market. It would be best if you did not have any trouble finding one that will help you to carry your things securely. These versatile cargo boxes are safe, easy to use, and very handy.
Using a cargo carrier is the most practical way to carry luggage on a road trip for several people. It saves up a lot of space inside of your car so that everyone can sit and enjoy the entire ride with comfort. It also easily lets you know that your luggage is secured and that it will arrive at your destination without any problems.
If you buy a high-quality roof cargo box, you will not face any problems while traveling. Just keep these important pieces of information in your mind when you are shopping for a roof cargo box. It would be best if you tried to buy one that comes with a water-resistant and aerodynamic design.
This will guarantee that you enjoy a great time while on the road. If you are looking for a solution for carrying your items to your next vacation or camping trip, then buying a roof cargo box will be worth your money.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Rooftop Cargo Carrier:
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
- Secure & protect your gear in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell vehicle cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- Waterproof storage for your luggage with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- Easy & convenient loading and unloading from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- No tools required, easy assembly and installation. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- Made in USA, limited lifetime guarantee. The JEGS car top carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- UNLOAD FROM BOTH SIDES - the patent-pending dual side-opening design allows you conveniently load and unload your travel luggage and gear from both sides of the rooftop cargo carrier so you're out of the way of traffic while you unload
- FUEL EFFICIENT DESIGN - the aerodynamic design of the roof rack cargo carrier reduces drag and wind resistance to minimize fuel economy disruption. The 18 cu ft carrier measures 57" x 38.5" x 17.75" and the 10 cu ft carrier is 46.5" x 30.5" x 17.75"
- SECURE LOCKING SYSTEM - this car top carrier secures your luggage with a four-corner cam locking system to ensure that the lid won't blow open while you're on the road with a keyed theft-resistant lock for peace of mind at stops. Includes 2 keys
- WATERPROOF & UV RESISTANT - proudly made in the USA, this waterproof rooftop cargo box is manufactured from durable, all weather high-density polyethylene material that includes a built-in UV stabilizer that resists cracking and fading
- MOUNTS TO CROSS BARS - the car rooftop cargo carrier is a quick and easy no-tool installation and allows you to mount to your vehicle's cross-bars (not included). Pre-drilled mounting holes for cross-bar attachment are drilled 24" on center
- ▶️ This roof top storage box is universal fit for mounting to max 13 inches wide cross bar, please check the dimension before purchase.
- ▶️ The package comes with  53 inches length storage box,  security lock key, and  heavy duty tool free installation mounting brackets.
- ▶️ It is constructed of rugged, impact-resistant ABS material to ensure a long lasting life in outdoor conditions. More, it can open from the side and stay open till you close it with the strong support arm.
- ▶️ Opens on the passenger side to 14 inches wide to store bulky items from the side and stays open till you close it, and it is very easy to install without any tool required to assembly.
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H | Capacity: 11 Cubic Feet and up to 110 LBS
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- DUAL-SIDE OPENING FOR EASY ACCESS: Dual-side opening design allows you to open it from either the driver side or the passenger side, which brings more convenience for loading and unloading.
- FAIR CAPACITY: With 13.4 cubic feet maximum storage capacity and 150lbs loading capacity, the roof cargo carrier can allow for more space in your car. What’s more, its streamlined design will reduce drag and noise during driving.
- LOCKING SYSTEM FOR SAFETY: It is designed with locks on both sides and comes with keys for protecting your valuables. And the stiffeners at the bottom of the roof cargo box strengthen its stability.
- EASY TO INSTALL: It is simple in structure and light in weight (approximately 24.25lbs). It won’t be difficult for you to lift it and install it to your car. And it can work with most vehicles with crossbars, such as car, suv, van, etc. Applicable Cross Bar: Max. Width 2.36”. Max. distance between bottom holes for installation: 40.94”. Min. distance between bottom holes for installation: 15.35”.
- QUALITY MATERIAL FOR DURABILITY & BETTER PROTECTION: Made from ABS material for long-lasting use. And it can protect your luggage or equipment from being exposed to sun, rain or dust. And it is protected with 3-Year Warranty. Any problem, please feel free to contact us.
- 🚙【Extra Storage Space】With a spacious 8.83 cubic feet storage space, this rooftop cargo carrier is able to accommodate a variety of outing items for you, such as luggage, sleeping bags, tents, suitcases, etc. Overall Dimension: 52” x 30.5” x 12” (L x W x H)
- 🚙【All Weather Rooftop Cargo Box】 Made of heavy-duty PP material, the rooftop hard shell cargo carrier is waterproof, dustproof, windproof and sunproof. As a result, this roof top cargo box can serve you in all seasons, accompanying years to come. Furthermore, the smooth surface makes this vehicle hard-shell carriers easy to clean with a cloth.
- 🚙【Secure & Convenient Use】In order to keep your belongings secure, this vehicle cargo carrier is designed with the security lock that has keys. More importantly, the passenger-side opening design is convenient for you to load or unload the inner items effortlessly.
- 🚙【Sturdy Construction】The excellent workmanship ensures safe driving under different conditions, and makes cargo box supports to 121LBS. Even on uneven road, this car rooftop cargo box can leave stable performance. More, with sturdy metal support arms, the rooftop hard shell cargo box can stay open until you need to close it.
- 🚙【A Hassle Free Trip】With equipped hardware and detailed instruction, the car rooftop cargo carrier is easy to be mounted to the car top. Then you can start a hassle-free trip with your family and friends to appreciate the wonderful scenery along the way. What’s more, the roof cargo storage box is applicable to most vehicles with cross bar, such as SUV, truck, RV, and more.
- CONSTRUCTION: Constructed of Rugged, Impact-Resistant ABS Material with Black Texture Finish for Durability
- OVERALL DIMENSION: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H; Opens to 14" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- CAPACITY: 110 lbs and 11 cu. ft.
- STRENGTH: With Strong Support Arm, Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- NOTE: Attaches to Vehicles with Cross Bars Only
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
- CROSS BARS: Universal Style; Aluminum Bar Construction
- CARGO BOX: Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction; Black Smooth Surface Finish; Non-Slip Bottom
- OVERALL DIMENSION: 67" L x 30" W x 13" H
- STRENGTH: With Strong Support Arm, Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- NOTE: Fits Vehicles with Roofs up to 135cm Wide; Attaches to Vehicles with Roof Rails Only
Last Update : 2023-03-20