Roof boxes can potentially damage your car if not installed properly or if they exceed the recommended weight limit, causing strain on the roof. Regular checks, proper installation, and adhering to weight limits can help prevent such damage.
This question circled in many car owners’ minds – do roof boxes damage the car? Shortly, yes! It can severely damage your car if you fail to install it correctly. Therefore, a severe accident might occur. The possibility of such an incident increases if you carry heavy items on the product. Heavy items on the box, and you’re driving the car at the highest speed on a rainy day!
It’s a potential scenario for an accident! Sad but true! Before taking things on a box, ensure that it is highly secured and mounted correctly on the vehicle’s rooftop. Otherwise, things could go wrong and ultimately cost you a lot of money.
Do Roof Boxes Damage Your Car?
It’s a big question, and people seek a proper answer to it. The answer is yes. A roof box can badly damage a car if it isn’t installed firmly. A powerful twisting force might join between the roof box and its nut bolts. As a result, the car can lose its stability and standard power. This could result in a severe accident when you’re on a road journey.
Everyone will surely want to avoid such a scenario. For this reason, it is essential to install the roof box perfectly. So, you don’t have to deal with the roof box. This is how you can avoid any serious injury.
You can check this article, “How to install a roof box in a car” to learn the procedure of installing a roof box in your car.
Steps to Take While Using a Roof Box
Yes, your car contains a roof box placed at the top of the roof. But does that mean you will install it and go?! Nope! You need to do some extra job. Otherwise, the lifespan of the roof box will get shorter. Let’s take the steps –
Read the Setting Manual
When you buy a new product, especially an expensive thing like a roof box, you must check the manual given by the manufacturing company. Thus, you need to do the task according to their guidelines. This is how you can ensure the path of safety and security.
You could face a challenge when installing the roof box for the first time. As a result, there’s a chance things could go wrong. But, you can escape any contravention effortlessly.
Take the Professional’s Help
You could face a challenge when it is the first time in the installation process. Therefore, a wrong move can happen. To avoid it, you should take help from a professional. This is how you can avoid any big mistake.
Lubricate on a Regular Basis
It’s easy to surmise that the product can get worn out. Since the box stays on the rooftop, it has to fight against adverse weather conditions like rain, snow, etc. That’s the reason the corrosion on the box might happen. Due to this, it can lose its supremacy and begin to wear down fast.
For this reason, you should use lubricant regularly to prevent it from being worn out. Moreover, this is how you can protect this expensive product from corrosion and rust.
Remove the Box Until You Need it
There’s no need to put the box on the car’s rooftop when you’re not using it. The reason is it could badly affect the exhaustion of the fuel. Yes, the roof box is made of lightweight elements and manufacturing companies always try to use soft materials during the production; the roof box still can significantly impact fuel spending.
For this reason, you should remove it. Further, removing it without necessity keeps the vehicle’s roof top steady. In addition, it also assists in decreasing the noise of the wind.
Check out the Weight
This is a highly crucial matter. Before putting your personal belongings in the roof box, you have to check the manual to discover the weight limit of the product. Afterward, put all the things according to the weight limit. Don’t overload the roof box. Otherwise, things could go wrong.
If you don’t check the weight limit, your car and other people’s cars will be in danger. The reason is that the box and its belongings can fall off in extremely windy weather while driving the vehicle. Therefore, don’t neglect it and check out the weight carefully.
Don’t Overspeed the Vehicle
Yes, you must drive the car with the roof box on the top. But, don’t cross the speed limit while you’re in motion. Always maintain the required speed limit. Hence, if you cross the limit, both you and other people could face danger. For instance, you’re driving your car at the highest speed.
Suddenly you need to turn the car. What would happen? You have to turn the steering wheel so fast. As a result, the roof box can fall into the road. After that, your car and other peoples’ cars could be damaged badly. Even the possibility of an accident can’t be ruled out. So, be careful and stay safe!
Do Roof Boxes Damage Your Car? FAQs
Why do I need a roof box?
If you’re a frequent traveler and regularly go outdoors, you need a roof box. Sometimes, your car’s trunk might not contain enough space? What then? You need a box to carry the extra belongings. It saves the space within the car’s trunk and makes the journey more comfortable.
What types of damage can a roof box do to a car?
If you fail to install the box correctly in the vehicle, there’s a big chance that the roof box can cause severe damage to your car. For instance, it can scratch the color of the rooftop. Further, heavyweight products can wear and tear the paintwork of the car. Sometimes, overloading and wrong installing can turn into an accident.
Can a roof box impact on a car’s MPG?
Of course, it can. If you add more weight to it, the aerodynamics of the box can’t do the job correctly. As a result, the drag increases steadily, resulting in more gas mileage.
Does the box spend more fuel?
Yes, it is. The box carries more weight. For this reason, the final weight of the vehicle also increases. Therefore, the amount of fuel also inflates.
So, we’re at the end of our discussion. We hope you’ve got enough knowledge on how the roof boxes damage the car? You need to be careful about that. This is the only way you could eliminate the chances of damaging the car. Install it correctly and follow the other guidelines provided by us.
Now, do you have any questions regarding our article? You can question it in the box below.
Best Seller List of Roof Cargo Boxes:
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
- Fits SportRack Rack Systems, square bars, round bars and most factory racks (check fit guide)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 63 x 38 x 19 in / 160 x 96.5 x 48 cm
- Min-Max Crossbars Spacing: 23 5/8 - 29 3/4 in (60 - 75.5 cm)
- Max Weight Capacity: 100 pounds (45 kg)
- Secure & protect your gear in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell vehicle cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- Weatherproof storage for your luggage with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- Easy & convenient loading and unloading from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- No tools required, easy assembly and installation. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- Made in USA, limited lifetime guarantee. The JEGS car top carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- Holds 3 golf bags
- ▶️ This roof top storage box is universal fit for mounting to max 13 inches wide cross bar, please check the dimension before purchase.
- ▶️ The package comes with  53 inches length storage box,  security lock key, and  heavy duty tool free installation mounting brackets.
- ▶️ It is constructed of rugged, impact-resistant ABS material to ensure a long lasting life in outdoor conditions. More, it can open from the side and stay open till you close it with the strong support arm.
- ▶️ Opens on the passenger side to 14 inches wide to store bulky items from the side and stays open till you close it, and it is very easy to install without any tool required to assembly.
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H | Capacity: 11 Cubic Feet and up to 110 LBS
- DUAL-SIDE OPENING FOR EASY ACCESS: Dual-side opening design allows you to open it from either the driver side or the passenger side, which brings more convenience for loading and unloading. (NOTE: There is protective film on the lid. Please peel off the film before use.)
- FAIR CAPACITY: With 13.4 cubic feet maximum storage capacity and 150lbs loading capacity, the roof cargo carrier can allow for more space in your car. What’s more, its streamlined design will reduce drag and noise during driving.
- LOCKING SYSTEM FOR SAFETY: It is designed with locks on both sides and comes with keys for protecting your valuables. And the stiffeners at the bottom of the roof cargo box strengthen its stability.
- EASY TO INSTALL: It is simple in structure and light in weight (approximately 24.25lbs). It won’t be difficult for you to lift it and install it to your car. And it can work with most vehicles with crossbars, such as car, suv, van, etc. Applicable Cross Bar: Max. Width 2.36”. Max. distance between bottom holes for installation: 40.94”. Min. distance between bottom holes for installation: 15.35”.
- QUALITY MATERIAL FOR DURABILITY & BETTER PROTECTION: Made from ABS material for long-lasting use. And it can protect your luggage or equipment from being exposed to sun, rain or dust. And it is protected with 3-Year Warranty.
- LARGE STORAGE CAPACITY: The Car Rooftop Cargo box offers more than 10 cubic feet of storage capacity, making it a perfect choice for carrying bulky items like luggage, camping gear, & sports equipment. Car topper luggage carrier helps to free up valuable space inside your vehicle for passengers & other essentials. Whether you're going on a leisure trip or a work-related one, DuraLiner rooftop cargo box has enough room to hold all your necessary items.
- ROBUST & COMPACT DESIGN: The Cargo rooftop box is crafted to fit most roof racks with ease and is simple to install and remove. The hardshell rooftop cargo carrier is made from durable materials, enabling it to withstand harsh weather conditions & rugged terrains. Duraliner roof carrier is watertight & lockable, ensuring your belongings stay protected from water damage.
- STURDY MATERIAL: Heavy-duty plastic resists UV damage and maintains a rich finish to protect your belongings from weather. The Cargo Box has a sturdy and long-lasting construction made possible by High-density polyethylene (HDPE), which can withstand harsh environmental conditions.
- EASY INSTALLATION: DuraLiner Cargo Boxes are simple and easy to install. The tool-free assembly and U-bolt securing feature make it a quick process, allowing you to hit the road in minutes. These cargo boxes can be mounted with ease onto most vehicles with Roof rack cargo boxes. Vehicle Cargo Carriers design features a sealed lip, rear entry, and a four-corner latching system to ensure the safety and dryness of your belongings. It is durable & recyclable.
- COMPATIBLE WITH MOST VEHICLES: Car roof cargo carrier is compatible with numerous car makes and models, including Chevrolet, Ford, Isuzu, Jeep, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Sprinter, Toyota, and more. Its universal mounting system is adaptable to various roof rack systems, making it a convenient option for customers with different car brands. The Rooftop cargo is specifically designed to fit and function with the roof racks or crossbars of these particular car models.
- This car roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PMMA material for long-lasting use and shiny, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 130 lbs capacity, suitable for round, square and most aerodynamic bars.
- 15.5 Cubic Feet Cargo Box with Car Trunk Organize,With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 15.5 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort!
- Convenient loading and unloading of your gear from both sides of the cargo box. Dual side opening also helps with easy mounting and demounting the carrier from your vehicle.
- The package comes with 58.3 inches length storage box,security lock key,tool free installation Mounting Brackets. (Note: The key can only be removed after the cover is closed and locked.)
- Opens on the passenger side to 14.5 inches wide to store bulky items from the side and stays open till you close it, and it is very easy to install without any tool required to assembly.
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Full trunk access with no roof box contact
- Fits 5-7 pairs of skis / 3-5 snowboards (up to 195 cm)
- External dimensions: 82.75 x 33.75 x 17.25 inches
- Internal Dimensions: 77.5 x 29.5 x 15.25 inches
- Load capacity: 165 lbs; Product Weight: 47 lbs
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 14 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
- Thule Comfort Key can only be removed when all locking points are securely closed
- Fits 3-5 snowboards (max length: 155 cm)
- External dimensions: 67 x 35 x 16 inches; Internal dimensions: 61 x 33 x 14 inches
- Load capacity: 110 lbs; Product weight: 34 lbs
- Height off crossbar: 16 inches. Fast and secure mounting
- Perfect for Road Trip---Take the cargo box to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to store. Works on all vehicles with rack, suitable for cars, vans, SUVs, etc. Sleek aerodynamic design to reduce drag and has less noise.
- 14 Cubic Feet Cargo Box ---With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 14 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort, more capacity, more pleasure!
- Robust and Security Design---The roof cargo box is designed to withstand heavy use in different types of weather conditions. The metal lid stiffeners at the bottom makes the roof box more stable and safer. With the double-lock design for protecting your valuables.
- 【Note】This product is suitable for vehicles with rack (Compatible with 17” to 22.8” wide rack, the width of the crossbar should be less than 3.1 inches and the thickness should be less than 1.0 inches)
- High Quality Material---The roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PC material for long-lasting use, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 165 lbs capacity, suitable for round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars.
- Easy to Install---The Goplus roof box equipped with 4 quick connect anchors for easy install and super latch security ensures your lid secure to its base, and your gear is safe. Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle to increased efficiency and convenience.【Note: please do not open the openings on both sides at the same time. The key can only be removed after the cover is closed and locked.】
- 【Durable Material】--The roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PMMA material for long-lasting use, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 130 lbs capacity. More, it can open from the side and stay open till you close it with the strong support arm.
- 【Wide Applications】--Take the cargo box to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to store. Works on all vehicles with rack, suitable for cars, SUVs, etc. Sleek aerodynamic design to reduce drag and has less noise.
- 【Car Trunk Organizer】--With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 14 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort, more capacity, more pleasure!
- 【Secure & Convenient Use】--In order to keep your belongings secure, this vehicle cargo carrier is designed with the security lock that has keys. More importantly, dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle to increase efficiency and convenience.
- 【Easy to Install】--No tools required for installation, the car rooftop cargo carrier is easy to be mounted to the car top. Then you can start a hassle-free trip with your family and friends to appreciate the wonderful scenery along the way.
Last Update : 2024-02-26