The most famous and adventurous ways to enjoy your free time during winter is Skiing. If you want to go on Skiing with your skis you have to transport them from your house to the mountains. But without the best cargo box, you will not be able to do that.
If you want to carry your skis and want to go for Skiing with your family at a time, you can’t do that comfortably without a perfect cargo box. An ideal cargo box can serve you with enough storage space. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about sufficient area to keep your skis and the safety of your family after buying a roof box.
To spend the winter without worrying about enough storage space to transport your stuff you have to choose the perfect roof cargo box for you.
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the best roof cargo boxes for your car. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Best for Large Ski & Snowboard Capacity – Yakima Skybox Carbonite Cargo Box
– Best for Alternative for Carrying Ski & Snowboard – SportRack Horizon Cargo Box
Overview of Top 6 Cargo Boxes for Skis & Snowboards:
INNO Shadow Cargo Box:
The INNO Shadow Rooftop Cargo Box is very easy to use and very user friendly. You can open this roof box with just one hand. And it can accommodate up to eight skis, four snowboards or two surfboards.
So you can go to the mountain for Skiing with your skis and your family, and don’t have to worry about enough storage space.
The installation process and the operating system for the INNO Shadow cargo box are straightforward. So you don’t have to spend much time in mounting it.
If you are finding a perfect roof box for your SUV, then this could be an excellent option for your needs. And it is not so long, so you don’t have to worry about not getting full access to your car’s trunk. Because of its sleek and aerodynamic design, it can help you with fuel economy. Moreover, it comes with 11 cubic feet of storage space.
- Employing a new "SPM" manufacturing process for "Shadow" roof boxes that are light weight, and yet have the highest level of durability and ruggedness
- Dual Side Opening with user friendly locking mechanism allows for single handed opening and easy loading . Can hold up to 4 snowboards/ 8 skis, or 2 surfboards
- INNO Low Profile Shadow Cargo Box with New Universal Memory Mounting System
- Low profile for a quiet ride and better fuel economy
- Designed for wagons and small SUVs' as it won't interrupt the vehicle rear hatch opening or obstruct the front view with over hang
SportRack Horizon Alpine Cargo Box (16 Cu Ft):
If you want to go to the mountain with all of your essential equipment and with your large family without having any problem with transporting them, then this SportRack Horizon is a perfect option for you. It can easily carry eight to twelve skis.
With the help of the quick release kit, you can quickly and very easily mount and unmount it from the roof of your car and this roof box can give you access from the passenger side. Its weight is 44 pounds, so it is a little heavier than other roof boxes. But it is not so heavy at all. Despite being a little heavy, you can easily lift and install it on your car’s roof by yourself.
This roof box is made of a high-quality ABS material which makes it more durable, and that can reduce any damaging impact on your roof box. So you don’t have to worry about the security of your skis or any other things in it.
- 16 cubic foot (453 L) cargo capacity
- Made from rugged, impact resistant ABS material
- Passenger side opening for easy access away from traffic
- Easy to install or remove using the quick release attachment kit
- Holds 4-6 pairs of skis (up to 178 cm) or 3-4 snowboards
Yakima Skybox Carbonite Cargo Box:
The Yakima Skybox Carbonite is very easy to install and uninstall. So if you want a roof box that is easily accessible for your skis, then this could be an excellent option for you.
It is long enough to carry your skis and easily accessible also. So you can easily open it when you need it without worrying about the lid falling on you.
It comes with a very tight seal that can easily prevent any kinds of water damage. If you have to drive in bad weather, then this may be an excellent option for you.
With a very tight seal, you don’t have to worry about your skis or extra-warm clothes getting wet. So this feature can make itself favorite to you. You can uninstall this cargo box very easily whenever you want.
- Sleek aerodynamic Carbonite textured lid; Designed with internal lid stiffeners for durability and easy open and close
- SuperLatch security ensures your lid is secure to its base, and your gear is safe; Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle; Tapered design reduces hatch interference
- No assembly required; Tool-free installation/removal from vehicle; SKS Locks included
- Fits Yakima round, square, factory, and aerodynamic bars; Minimum and maximum crossbar spreads: 24" - 42"
- Hauls gear for up to 3 campers; fits snowboards and skis up to 215cm; Available in five sizes: Lo, 12, 16, 18, and 21 cubic feet
Yakima Rocketbox Pro 11 Cargo Box:
This Yakima Rocketbox Pro comes with an aerodynamic design that can resist air very well. So you don’t have to worry about harmful gas mileage when you are going to the mountains for Skiing. You can carry 215 cm long skis by this box. Because of the security system, you don’t need to think about the safety of your skis also.
The Yakima Rocketbox Pro 11 can give you access to your stuff from both sides. So you can park your car wherever you want when you go to the mountains for Skiing.
This cargo box comes with push-button security and SKS lock cores. So don’t worry about the security of your roof box at all. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty offered by the company, so do not worry if it is accidentally damaged during trips.
- Ideal for longer loads and won't hog your crossbar space; Hauls gear for up to 2 campers; Great for snowboards and skis up to 215 cm
- Aerodynamic design to reduce drag with forward mounting hardware for improved hatch clearance making it great for small vehicles
- Dual-sided opening and push button security allow easy access on either side of your vehicle and ensure your lid is secure and your gear is safe with included SKS lock cores
- Quick-dial mounting hardware fits Yakima round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars
- Love it 'Till You Leave It Limited Lifetime Warranty
Thule Atlantis Cargo Box:
The Thule Atlantis Rooftop Cargo Box comes with a very aerodynamic design. So you don’t have to suffer from bad gas mileage when you are going to the mountains for Skiing. Moreover, you can carry 215 cm long skis by this box. And there is nothing to worry about the safety of your skis also.
It can give you access to your stuff from both sides. So you can park your car wherever you want when you go to the mountains for Skiing.
This roof box comes with push-button security and SKS lock cores. So you don’t need to worry about the security of your roof box at all.
It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty offered by the company, so you don’t need to think if it is accidentally damaged during trips.
- Dual-side opening for easier loading and unloading from either side of the vehicle
- Carries up to 16 cu. ft. of cargo. Fits 6-8 pair skis (max. length 178 cm), 3-4 snowboards or gear for up to 3 passengers
- Quick-Grip mounting system for fast, easy, tool-free installation and removal
- Black pebble finish
- Fits Thule rack systems, round bars and most factory racks
SportRack Horizon Alpine cargo box (11 Cu Ft):
This roof box comes with a solid design, so you do not worry about any damage when you are driving with it. It also looks aesthetic, easily usable, and very user friendly.
This SportRack Horizon Alpine available with only 11 cubic feet of storage space, yet it can carry six to ten skis at a time. So it can be a perfect option if you have a small family and you want to go on Skiing with your whole family. With the quick-release system, you can just put it on in less than five minutes and remove also.
It weighs only 29 pounds. Despite being so light, the design of this box is robust and durable also. ABS plastic is used in making this roof box so it is very durable and it can prevent any damage when you are driving with it.
With the superior lock, you don’t have to worry about someone breaking into your roof box when you are enjoying the Skiing with your family.
- 11 cubic foot (311 L) cargo capacity
- Made from rugged, impact resistant ABS material
- Narrow and long profile is ideal for skis/snowboards and leaves room on your roof rack to mount other accessories
- Passenger side opening for easy loading and unloading away from traffic
- Easy to install or remove using the quick release attachment kit
SportRack Horizon Alpine cargo box (17 Cu Ft):
The SportRack Horizon Alpine Cargo Box comes with 17 cubic feet of storage space, so don’t have to worry about extra space to carry your skiing components and extra warm clothes at a time.
You will be able to easily transport four to six pairs of skis along with your other essential items. Moreover, you don’t have to spend much time on installing and uninstalling it because of its fast installation and removal system.
This cargo box is famous because of its very durable and aesthetic design. Moreover, it can save your stuff from any water leakage. So you will be able to drive in bad weather without worrying about your stuff security or your items being wet.
- Rugged construction made from impact resistant ABS material
- Quick release attachment kit included for easy installation and removal
- Passenger side opening for access away from traffic
- Fits SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory racks (Check Fit Guide)
- Holds 4-6 pairs of skis (up to 216 cm) or 3-4 snowboards
If you want the best rooftop cargo box for skis, you have to consider your needs, like how much skis and snowboard or other things you have to carry. Moreover, you have to think about your family also. Generally, if you have a big family, you will need a giant box that can carry all of your stuff.
Finally, you have to think about the size of the roof of your car. You will not want to face any problem in installing the roof box after spending a good amount of money on it. You have to be sure that your roof box isn’t interfering in opening the trunk of your car, and the box will not put you in danger before you mount it.
-Our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller Rooftop Cargo Boxes:
- Includes universal factory mounting hardware
- One Key System - Includes two lock cylinders and keys
- Safely carries up to 6 pairs of skis or 4 snowboards
- Snowboards can be carried base to base for maximum capacity
- Fits all Thule, Yakima and most Factory racks
- LARGE CAPACITY - Hold up to 6 Pairs of Skiis or 4 Snowboards, and in the summer is a Fishing Rod Holder, Wake Board Holder, or Longboard Holder. Comes with 1 Set of 2 Lockable Arms with Mounting Hardware and 4 Keys.
- TAKE THAT TRIP - The Large Capacity Makes it Perfect for a Trip with Family or Friends.
- UNIVERSAL MOUNTING - Universal Mounting to Most Roof Racks with Easy Installation. Suitable for All Vehicles.
- EASY RELEASE HARDWARE - Easy Release and Easy Locking for Gloved Hands. Rubber Grip Profile to Protect Skis, Snowboards & Fishing Rods. Master Key Compatible.
- HEAVY DUTY - Heavy Duty Aluminum Construction, Rust & Corrosion Resistant. Dimensions: 27" Internal / 31" External.
- THE ALTERNATIVE - Tired of reaching the roof rack for your gear? This unique hitch mounted dedicated ski & snowboard rack combines the best of all worlds in terms of accessibility, capacity, security, and quality. This rack is built from sturdy steel construction with black powder E-Coating for rust resistance. Tyger offers 5 years limited no-hassle warranty against factory defect.
- FITMENT - This fits most vehicles with either 1.25" or 2" hitch receivers. Tyger Hitch Lock is included.
- DOUBLING DOWN ON SECURITY - Dual anti-theft key-locks for top rack and hitch receiver provide maximum security; we do not keep any spare keys for the same reason. Ski rack also comes with 3 safety straps to secure your gear during transit.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE - Rack plates are height adjustable to accommodate skis/snowboards of various lengths; and foldable while not being used. Main pole can be tilted 120° to provide trunk clearance and easy access to your gear.
- FAMILY FRIENDLY - This rack fits up to 4 snowboards or 6 pairs of skis - or a combination of 2 boards and 3 pairs of skis.
- Ski & Snowboard Mount: Wide enough to carry 4 pairs of powder skis - up to 136mm at the tip - or 2 snowboards; DoubleJoint hinge expands for easy use with thick skis and boards
- Aeordynamic design: Our sleekest and sweetest ski & snowboard mount has been aerodynamically designed to deliver a quiet ride; Includes SkiLift attachment to provide clearance for tall bindings
- Universal mounting system: Mounting system works with round, square, factory and most aerodynamic roof racks; Compatible with T-slot crossbars; Integrated SKS (Same Key System) locks included
- Easy access: The OverHang clamp attachment point makes it easier to reach your skis or boards and the large access button makes it easy to open with gloves or mittens on
- Tool-free install: Tool-free clamp design makes installation and removal a breeze; Base Rack System required
- Ski & Snowboard Mount: Easily carries up to 4 pairs of skis (up to 120 mm wide at the tip) or 2 snowboards
- Universal mounting system: Mounting system works with round, square, factory and most aerodynamic roof racks; Includes SkiLift attachment to provide clearance for tall bindings
- Anti-theft: Integrated SKS (Same Key System) locks included for added security and stress-free pit stops and apres activities
- Easy open: The large one-push button makes it easy to open and close the racks, even with gloves on
- Tool-free install: Tool-free clamp design makes installation and removal a breeze; Frees up space in your car and makes the drive to the slopes smoother
- Aerodynamic slide-out rooftop rack for all types of skis and snowboards
- Slide-out design extends from vehicle for easy loading and unloading
- Fits up to 6 pairs of skis/4 snowboards
- Ultra-soft rubber arms grip without scratching
- Oversized push button to easily open while wearing gloves
- SAVE YOUR ROCKER, TIPS, & TAILS - Store your skis or snowboard on safe contact points with gravity locking design. With a precise point of contact, you get to choose where you hang your skis/board. Gravity Grabber is the ultimate indoor ski storage and snowboard storage rack.
- SECURE YOUR GEAR - With anti-slip pads, keep what's hanging - hanging. Gravity Grabber's gravity-locking design and anti-slip rubber pads give you confidence that your equipment will stay in place. Hang any ski or snowboard, no matter the size, shape, or binding type. From powder to groomer skis, cross country skis, powder to park boards, whatever is hanging - stays hanging.
- EASY IN & OUT - It's important to be the first to the mountain on a powder day and your gear put away quickly when you're done. Quick swivel arms allow easy access, in & out. Stowing and going has never been easier with a ski rack. Just pop, drop, and lock. GET YOUR KIT TOGETHER - With an integrated pole hanger design, just grab-n-go. Stop storing your gear in separate places. Integrated ski pole hangers/hooks make it easy to store everything in one place.
- INTERLOCKING CORNERS - Odds are, you have more than one set of skis/boards in your quiver. Gravity Grabber has you covered. With interlocking corners, adding more "Grabbers" to your wall has never been easier. Interlocking corners let you stagger "Grabbers" side by side. This wall storage system helps you keep your garage and quiver looking nice while being stored.
- & SCHLOADS MORE - Keep that garage-mahal organized. Hang shovels, rakes, picks, garden, bike, and home tools up to 20lbs! If you store your skis somewhere else in the off season, Gravity Grabber still has your back. With other equipment in mind, we wanted a design that allows for more than just skis. Each box includes 1 Gravity Grabber, 6 dry wall hangers, 6 screws, 1 manual, 1 sticker.
- Holds skis and snowboards securely with ultra-soft rubber arms that grip without scratching the surfaces
- Requires Thule hanging hitch bike rack for use (not compatible with Thule Helium or Thule Helium Aero).
- Maximize carrying capacity by transporting skis and snowboards upright
- Holds up to 6 pairs of skis or 4 snowboards on 2" class two receiver racks. Holds up to 4 pairs of skis or 2 snowboards on 1 1/4" receivers and Thule Spare Tire carrier
- 2 One-key locks included to lock the skis and snowboards to the rack
- Holds Both Skis and Snowboards
- Great Way to Organize Your Home and Garage
- Many Uses - Skis, Snowboards, Skateboards, Scooter, Hockey Sticks, and more!
- Lightweight Engineered Design
- Mounting Hardware Included - Screws and Drywall Anchors
- ORGANIZED SKI STORAGE: Space-efficient wall storage for racing, powder, all mountain, and twin tip skis!
- MAXIMUM CAPACITY: Holds up to 10 pairs of skis on the rack plus overhead shelf for boots, bags, and accessories.
- HEAVY DUTY: Solid steel and aluminum support up to 300 lbs. Durable powder coating is built to last.
- EASY TO INSTALL: Folding wall mounting brackets require minimal assembly. Quality hardware included.
- PATENT PENDING DESIGN: Built to hold your skis and built to last!
You May Also Like…
- Best Roof Cargo Boxes
- How to Choose Best Cargo Box for Your Car
- The Best Cargo Box – Review & Expert’s Guide
- Biggest Rooftop Cargo Boxes Available
- 8 Best Cargo Box for Subaru Outback
Last Update : 2022-05-22