Every roof cargo box has its maximum weight capacity. So you have to make sure that you are not loading too much load in the box.
If you load items in the box more than its capacity, then it can damage your roof box or the roof of your car.
But if you are not loading anything in the box and your box is full empty, but you still want to keep the box on the roof of your vehicle, there some questions rise like can you drive with an empty roof cargo box, is it safe or not?
No. Driving with an empty roof box is not safe at all. If you want to know more details, then you can read this article. Here we are describing why driving with an empty box is not safe.
The first reason you should remove the box from your vehicle’s roof after using it is roof boxes increase your car’s drag, and the drag increases your fuel economy. Like the roof boxes that are fully loaded with stuff, the empty roof box still affects your vehicle’s mileage. So if you want to lessen your fuel economy and want to get good mileage, you have to remove the box from your vehicle’s roof every time after using it.
Most of the roof cargo boxes of the market are easy to install and remove. So you do not have to do so many things to remove the box when it is not in use. Moreover, removing a box can save you a lot of money by increasing your vehicle’s mileage because having anything weighted down on top of your car will cause you to use more gas or diesel to operate your vehicle.
Weights of roof racks are not so much to increase your fuel economy. Moreover, often these are permanently attached to the vehicle, so you can’t remove them. The roof racks may have some small impact on your fuel economy, but these are not so noticeable at all.
What About a Spare Tire in Your Carrier?
Many people claim they’ve read the recommendation of placing a spare tire in the roof box when it isn’t being used. But this technique is useful in reducing the noise of an empty box because empty roof boxes often make Whistling noises when you are driving. So putting something heavy such as a spare tire can help you to reduce that annoying noise while driving. Moreover, placing a spare tire in the roof box is also recommended so that your roof box does not stay so light.
So removing the roof box from the roof of your car is far better than leaving it with a spare tire inside the box. It also makes the look of your vehicle aesthetically pleasing, especially if you don’t like the shape and color of your roof box.
Some Practical Suggestions
But still, if you want to drive with an empty roof box, we are recommending you to make sure that all of the bolts are tight enough to keep the box secured with the roof of your car. Moreover, you have to make sure that your roof box is fully closed so that water cannot leak into it and damage the box’s interior.
These suggestions are for roof boxes only. Because roof boxes are hard and you can’t fold them. But roof bags are super easy to install and remove. They are flimsy and lightweight. Even they are very easy to store. Storing a roof bag does not require so much space. You can fold a roof bag and store it anywhere you want. Because of being so light, these roof bags does not create so much difference in the fuel economy as roof boxes.
But after all, it is best to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations about empty roof cargo carriers. By doing this, you will not have to worry about what you did – if it was right or not, and you can rest easy.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller Rooftop Cargo Boxes:
- SECURE & PROTECT YOUR GEAR in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell car top cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- WATERPROOF STORAGE FOR YOUR LUGGAGE with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- EASY & CONVENIENT LOADING AND UNLOADING from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED, EASY ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- MADE IN USA, LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- Fast grip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- The central locking system provides maximum safety
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 inch
- HEAVY DUTY STORAGE SYSTEM: store your cargo boxes with ease and with a feeling of security
- FITS ANY CARGO BOX: adjustable straps fit all widths and lengths of boxes up to 60 lbs
- UTILIZE YOUR SPACE: Get organized by hanging and storing your cargo in your overhead space
- HI-LIFT PRO SYSTEM: hold straps and cargo boxes tightly in place, using a center connecting strap to keep your gear in place. The PRO version includes upgraded, higher-strength loading straps.
- QUICK & EASY INSTALL: with included instructions and mounting hardware, great for home and garage storage
- 【100% Waterproof】: Made of 900D Oxford cloth, SILIVN roof bag adopts a genuine waterproof zipper, used in extreme weather and is protected with a double flap. All seams are heat welded and stitched to ensure they are watertight. 100% waterproof and rainproof under extreme weather.
- 【Most Safe Design】: Alongside Carrying Capacity, Stability Is Arguably The Most Important Factor In a Car Top Carrier. SILIVN Roof bag features 8 pcs Heavy duty adjustable Wide Straps. In addition, equipped with free anti-slip mat to keep the cargo bag stay in place even in high speed road or bump road, no slip, no scratch to your car. Come with combination lock, it will not only prevent the zippers from slipping, but also adds security to luggage.
- 【15 CUBIC FEET LARGE CAPACITY】: This top carrier roof bag overall size is 42” x 33” x 15”, carry 15 cubic feet, which can allows you to hold 4-6 suitcases, travel luggage case, tents, sleeping bags and more. Free up inside vehicle space for more comfortable on the way.
- 【Fits Any Vehicle with Rack】: Rooftop cargo bag designed for any vehicle with rack ,Take the cargo bag to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to be storaged. Works on all vehicles with rack for cars, vans, SUVs,etc.
- 【Easy to install】:Design With 8 Heavy duty adjustable Long Straps, Make It Easy To Attaches In Only a Matter Of Minutes. They have what the describes as a revolutionary new ‘Waterproof & Easy to set up’, simple and intuitive to fit – securely – to your car roof.
- Extendable & ULTRA-LARGE CAPACITY - -The Cargo bag can be expanded 13.8 - 16.6 cu.ft with Implicit way zipper.Plenty roomy for family member's camping and road trip stuff.Dimension: 46”x36”x16/20”.
- 2 INSTALLATION METHODS - It can be used with cars/SUV Regardless of Whether Your Vehicle is Rack or Without Rack,8 Holding Straps used for cars with racks, 4+2 free Door Hooks used for cars without racks.
- SAVE MORE BUCK FOR PROCTECT YOUR CAR - -Come with Anti-Slip Mat, our Cargo bag was made of the 600D Oxford Fiber is Perfect for protecting the cars from Scratch.
- SUPER WATERPROOF STRENGTH - 3 inches lengthened T-shaped upgrade Velcro with Double PVC waterproof coating ,Completely solve the leakage, tearing and noise of low-priced roof bags on the market.
- TAKE IT TO ANYWHERE - - Maybe You would be worry ,Weather changes will affect your trips;Maybe you often get upset Because you ca n’t carry a lot out;Now , Your wooories was resolved by our cargo bags, Take it to carry everything and folded up when you Reach the destination.
- Universal Style Cross Bars: Aluminum Bar Construction Mounting Brackets
- Cargo Box: Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- Capacity: 12 cu. ft. / Dimensions: 68" L x 31" W x 16" H
- Opens to 14. 75" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- Opens from the Side and Stays Open Till you Close It
- Fits SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory racks (Check fit guide)
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal included
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic includes a key lock to secure contents in the box
- ABS construction that is durable and UV-resistant; Easy to clean with mild soap and water
- Min-max crossbars spacing: 23 5/8" - 29 3/4"; Max weight capacity: 100 pounds
Last Update : 2021-04-16