Yes, a roof box can overhang the edges of a vehicle’s roof. However, it’s important to ensure that the overhang doesn’t obstruct visibility, exceed weight limits, or create safety hazards during travel.
Can a Roof Box Overhang?
It’s undeniable that roof cargo boxes are a super essential product for a vehicle. The main reason is that it can immensely help during a trip. Besides, it can take a lot of stuff and make more space in the car. If you are a frequent traveler or like to arrange camping trips, a roof cargo box is indispensable. But why a roof cargo overhang?
This is complaining about this product. The criticism has emerged more in recent times. But is it true? Yes! Nevertheless, a small amount of overhang is not alarming though. It’s vital to deliver proper storage space in it. Nonetheless, too much hanging is a negative sign.
Now, we’ll discuss a roof cargo box overhang. How to avoid such a scenario? Let’s go –
Can a Roof Box Overhang? Reasons and Solutions
Of course, a bit of overhang might happen, and it’s not a severe issue. But it doesn’t mean the cargo box can hanging too far off the backspace of the vehicle. You won’t be comfortable with such a scenario, will you? When packing the roof box, remember that it shouldn’t go out too far.
On the other side, you can take some preventive measures. Let’s check –
- Before purchasing, check out the size. Ensure that it isn’t too big or small in terms of size.
- Closely check whether it is overhanging or not. If a little bit of hanging is happening, it’s all right.
- The last concern is that you must securely mount the box to the roof.
Now, check out some crucial matters on roof box overhanging. Take a look –
A Little Overhang is OK
Tell us honestly – is the question “can a roof cargo box overhang” makes your head twisted?! Ow! Don’t worry! It’s not a matter of overthinking! Get relaxed! People who drive the car with a roof box regularly know that a bit of overhang is inevitable. It’s a pretty much usual matter.
Notwithstanding, too much overhang is not a good thing. It can create drag and negatively impact the vehicle’s overall fuel capability. Further, it can develop issues on the stability of the car. A bit of an overhanging issue won’t bother you at all.
You must ensure that the box is correctly secured on the rooftop before entering the highway. The reason is you won’t definitely expect that the cargo roof box will be flying off the road when you’re driving the car at super speed!
All you need to do is act wisely to enjoy the advantages of safely roof-mounted storage.
Rear Overhang Must be Avoided
The front overhang is ok. But, the overhang situation on the rear side can cause problems. Even a bit of overhang in the backside is not a big deal. However, things could turn nasty if the overhang becomes too much. For this reason, car manufacturers always recommend that customers should fit cargo boxes on the front instead of the back.
On the other hand, it could also depend on the vehicle type. If you’re using a car with no rear hatch, you can expect a bit of overhang, and it’s no big deal. Nevertheless, you can take some steps to reduce the overhang situation significantly.
- Before purchasing, buy a roof box that can perfectly fit your vehicle.
- Check overhang in the neighborhood before hitting the highway road. Don’t take the car on the main street if it is too much.
- Ensure that it is mounted well to the rooftop of the vehicle.
How to Reduce the Roof Box Overhang Situation?
Most people don’t like the overhang situations in their vehicles. But, are there any steps or measurements that can be effective against it? Yes! Here, we’ll discuss some solutions you can apply to deal with this problem. Let’s check –
Do you think all cars possess a rooftop? No! If you believe in that way, you’re absolutely wrong. There are still so many car models that are not manufactured to hold a roof cargo box. So, you should think about it before making a final move.
Right-Sized Racks and Boxes
The right-sized roof box will indeed matter to you. If you want to have a flexible trip by car, you should buy a perfect-sized roof box. Moreover, buy the box according to the size of your roof rack. If the rack is small and you purchase a larger box, it will increase the possibility of an accident.
Therefore, you must keep things within the limit when selecting a box. Further, don’t buy a far larger roof box than your vehicle. It will ultimately be suicidal. Hence, purchase the box according to the size of the car. Otherwise, you will surely regret it.
Do you want to reduce the drag to a minimal range? If yes, then you can reposition the cargo box. Consider not to place it too far back. Otherwise, the rear hatch can fall into a deep trouble. This is how you’ll get a fair chance to decrease the overhang on the front or backside of the vehicle.
This is another crucial thing for a roof cargo box. If your box isn’t stable enough, it can fall off during driving. So, there’s no point in ignoring it to avoid a colossal fiasco. Consequently, the right-sized box generally provides stability. But, if you buy a wider box, it could raise a problematic situation.
Nevertheless, you can purchase a widespread bar to bring stability. This is how everything will place in order. Before beginning the journey, you can run a test on whether the box is stable or not.
Can a Roof Box Overhang? – FAQs
How much weight can a roof box carry?
Roof boxes have limitations. Different sizes can carry different types of weights. Notwithstanding, the usual limit is between 50 to 80 kg.
Can I keep the bigger box in the small-sized car?
You can. But, it will create problems. For this reason, you can use a widespread bar. Avoiding purchasing a bigger box for a small-sized car will be the best task.
If you want a superb travel experience, you’ll need a roof cargo box. Can a roof cargo box overhang? Of course, it is! All you need to do is some intelligent task to avoid it. Buy a right-sized box and implement other factors we’ve discussed above. This is how you can make your journey more convenient.
Best Seller List of Rooftop Cargo Boxes:
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 14 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
- Thule Comfort Key can only be removed when all locking points are securely closed
- Fits 3-5 snowboards (max length: 155 cm)
- External dimensions: 67 x 35 x 16 inches; Internal dimensions: 61 x 33 x 14 inches
- Load capacity: 110 lbs; Product weight: 34 lbs
- Height off crossbar: 16 inches. Fast and secure mounting
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
- Fits SportRack Rack Systems, square bars, round bars and most factory racks (check fit guide)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 63 x 38 x 19 in / 160 x 96.5 x 48 cm
- Min-Max Crossbars Spacing: 23 5/8 - 29 3/4 in (60 - 75.5 cm)
- Max Weight Capacity: 100 pounds (45 kg)
- DUAL-SIDE OPENING FOR EASY ACCESS: Dual-side opening design allows you to open it from either the driver side or the passenger side, which brings more convenience for loading and unloading. (NOTE: There is protective film on the lid. Please peel off the film before use.)
- FAIR CAPACITY: With 11.65 cubic feet maximum storage capacity and 150lbs loading capacity, the roof cargo carrier can allow for more space in your car. What’s more, its streamlined design will reduce drag and noise during driving.
- LOCKING SYSTEM FOR SAFETY: It is designed with locks on both sides and comes with keys for protecting your valuables. And the stiffeners at the bottom of the roof cargo box strengthen its stability.
- EASY TO INSTALL: It is simple in structure and light in weight (approximately 31.3lbs). It won’t be difficult for you to lift it and install it to your car. And it can work with most vehicles with crossbars, such as car, suv, van, etc. Applicable Cross Bar: Max. Width 2.36”. Max. distance between bottom holes for installation: 25.59”. Min. distance between bottom holes for installation: 18.5”.
- QUALITY MATERIAL FOR DURABILITY & BETTER PROTECTION: Made from ABS material for long-lasting use. And it can protect your luggage or equipment from being exposed to sun, rain or dust. And it is protected with 3-Year Warranty.
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Narrow design leaves space for other gear such as bikes, kayaks, skis, and more while providing 11 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range of vehicles; works with most factory and aftermarket roof racks
- Quick and tool-free PowerClick mounting system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted - takes less than 5 minutes to install
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Full trunk access with no roof box contact
- Fits 3-5 pairs of skis / 3-4 snowboards (up to 175 cm)
- External dimensions: 74.75 x 24.75 x 16.75 inches
- Internal dimensions: 70.5 x 20.5 x 14.75 inches
- Load capacity: 165 lbs; Product Weight: 32 lbs
- 4” ROOF RACK: Upgraded 4” fence basket by lower 2” height to accomplish extreme lightweight cargo rack, get great passability for your adventures. Aerodynamics designed wind fairing reduces wind resistance and noise, protects goods from wind damage. Full dimension is 64"(L) x 39"(W) x 4"(H), without extension rack: 43"(L) x 39"(W) x 4"(H).
- 21 ft³ CARGO BAG: Ultra rugged fully waterproof 600D rooftop cargo carrier bag with water repellent double coating surface and liner. Always keeping your belongings dry in all weather conditions. 59.1"(L) x 39.3"(W) x 15.7"(H) extraordinary capacity helps to maximize cargo storage and provides extra 157 gallon cargo storage space for your vehicle.
- HEAVY DUTY: Wildroad roof basket made of solid and premium steel pipe can hold up to 150 lbs cargo. Durable black powder coating prevent it from all weather conditions. Highest standard craftsmanship in the industry ensure its quality, each screw matches welding frame accurately.
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Connect the joint of 4 frames then fix the screws to assemble a whole basket frame, mount on cross bars with 4 upgraded U-bolts with protect sleeve. Accommodating square cross bars up to 4.65'' wide x 1.375'' thick or round bars up to 1.375'' in diameter.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: WILDROAD customer service team will answer any question to ensure a trouble-free ride and satisfaction. The excellent quality of our Roof Rack Basket is backed by a 1 year warranty.
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External Dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 in
- Internal Dimensions: 48 x 23 x 13.5 in
- Load Capacity: 75 pounds
- Volume: 8 cu ft. of storage space
- Product weight: 16 pounds
- ▶️ This roof top storage box is universal fit for mounting to max 13 inches wide cross bar, please check the dimension before purchase.
- ▶️ The package comes with  53 inches length storage box,  security lock key, and  heavy duty tool free installation mounting brackets.
- ▶️ It is constructed of rugged, impact-resistant ABS material to ensure a long lasting life in outdoor conditions. More, it can open from the side and stay open till you close it with the strong support arm.
- ▶️ Opens on the passenger side to 14 inches wide to store bulky items from the side and stays open till you close it, and it is very easy to install without any tool required to assembly.
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H | Capacity: 11 Cubic Feet and up to 110 LBS
- SPACIOUS, STYLISH, AND AERODYNAMIC: Linings blends in seamlessly with your vehicle. 17.7 Cu Ft (500 L) of cargo capacity provides ideal storage for skis, snowboards, boots, helmets, duffel bags, and still leaves room for your other gear. Supports up to 130 lbs (60 kg) weight capacity.
- SECURE AND WATER-RESISTANT: Central locking system ensures that the key cannot be removed until the box is locked. Weather-resistant & water-resistant. Comes with 4 (four) keys and straps.
- TOOL-FREE INSTALLATION AND UNIVERSAL FITMENT: Comes fully assembled and ready to mount on your vehicle. Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal. Fits vehicles with roof racks/crossbars (Roof racks are not included).
- DUAL-SIDE OPENING AND CLOSING: Convenient loading and unloading of your gear from both sides of the cargo box. Dual side opening also helps with easy mounting and demounting the carrier from your vehicle.
- HIGH-QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made from heavy-duty, UV-resistant, and impact-resistant ABS material. Lightweight, sturdy and durable. Made in Turkey, Assembled in the U.S.A.
- Secure & protect your gear in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell vehicle cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- Waterproof storage for your luggage with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- Easy & convenient loading and unloading from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- No tools required, easy assembly and installation. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- Made in USA, limited lifetime guarantee. The JEGS car top carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
- Full trunk access and no roof box contact
- Lid automatically locks in place and indicates a secure closure (One Key System compatible)
- Fits 5-7 pairs of skis / 3-5 snowboards
- External dimensions: 91.5 x 37.5 x 18 inches; Internal dimensions: 84.5 x 33 x 16 inches
- Load capacity: 165 lbs; Product Weight: 55 lbs
Last Update : 2023-09-30