If you are going somewhere with a lot of cargo, a rooftop cargo carrier can help you to store all the cargo with ease. Rooftop cargo carriers are also suitable for any kind of vacation trip; you can even go fishing and camping with these. They are not so expensive, too, according to the features they are providing.
Different kinds of rooftop cargo carriers are available out there, made out of different materials, and come in different sizes and designs. So you can easily find a good one whether you are looking for a rooftop carrier to carry from a few small suitcases to several snowboards or fishing rods.
If you are on a tight budget but you need a rooftop cargo carrier for your trip, then you might be thinking of renting a rooftop carrier instead of buying one. But the question is, “Is that really the most efficient thing to do?”
The answer to this question actually depends on several factors. So we recommend you to read this article fully, and we hope that it will help you make the decision.
How Many Trips Per Year Do You Take?
If you go on trips frequently, we recommend buying a rooftop carrier instead of renting one because it will be more cost-effective. Rooftop cargo carriers are available at a price range starting from around 50 dollars to several hundred dollars. But if you rent a rooftop carrier for three days, that will almost cost you the same, and at the end of the long run, buying a roof box will cost you less.
If you want to buy the perfect rooftop cargo carrier for you, you have to research what type of carrier will be best for you according to your budget. You should check the size capacity, the installation process, and the material used in making the carrier. If you go on a trip only once a year or less, then leasing a carrier will be best for you. Otherwise, it is better to buy a cargo carrier.
How Is the Carrier Attached to the Vehicle?
The process of attaching the carrier to your car is also an important thing to consider. Moreover, many rooftop carriers need a roof rack to be attached, and some can be attached with or without any roof rack. So of them, just use a rope or strap to tie the carrier to the top of your car.
If the cargo carrier you liked requires a permanent roof rack, but you do not want to add one on top of your car, then you should look for something else and find something that does not demand you to make any permanent change to your car.
If you previously have a roof rack installed on top of your car or are going to install one, you can either purchase or lease the carrier. You should also consider other factors before you make the final decision. But you should always remember to check the manual provided by the manufacturer to determine whether a roof rack is required or not. If you do that, you will not face any problem, and there won’t be anything surprising after you get the carrier itself in your possession.
If you are searching for something that does not require you to have a roof rack, there are still many options available to either buy or rent. The leasing companies have many kinds of products that do not require any roof rack so that you can easily choose to lease one for your roof rack-free car.
How Much Stuff Will You Be Bringing with You?
Another thing you should consider before you buy a rooftop cargo carrier is what you want to carry with that? Different types of carriers come in different sizes, which are measured by cubic feet. You can easily find carries available with ten to up to 30 or more cubic feet of storage capacity.
Large cargo carriers can be very expensive, but you can lease them at an affordable cost. The carriers with 20 to 30 cubic feet of storage capacity are generally soft roof bag types of carriers; besides, some hard shell roof cargo boxes also. You can carry a lot of items with these. If you need a big cargo carrier and need to use it even a few times a year, it will better for you to buy a rooftop cargo carrier instead of leasing one.
A good quality and large enough cargo carrier can be expensive, but you can buy it for around under 100 dollars. When renting a cargo carrier, you have to pay more for the bigger and most high-quality one. So you should buy your own cargo carrier as your need and test.
How Will You Store the Carrier When it Isn’t Being Used?
When you plan to buy a rooftop carrier, you also have to think about what you will do with it when not in use? If you install a cargo carrier on top of your vehicle, it will affect your car’s gas mileage. You will have to pay more money to fill up your tank, so you should remove the carrier when not in use. But the question is what to do with the carrier after removing it from the roof of your car?
If you buy a soft cargo bag type of carrier made from polyester or some type of plastic, it will come with a storage bag to easily store it. But if you buy a hard shell cargo carrier, it can be a little hard for you to store it because you have to have a good place to hang it when not in use. You can install a rack on your garage or shed on the walls so that you can hang the carriers there.
If you want a soft type of cargo carrier, it won’t matter if you lease it or buy it. But if you choose a hard shell rooftop carrier but do not want the hassles to find a place to store it, you should just go ahead and lease it instead.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List Of Rooftop Cargo Carrier:
- SECURE & PROTECT YOUR GEAR in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell car top cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- WATERPROOF STORAGE FOR YOUR LUGGAGE with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- EASY & CONVENIENT LOADING AND UNLOADING from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED, EASY ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- MADE IN USA, LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
- Fits SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory racks (Check fit guide)
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal included
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic includes a key lock to secure contents in the box
- ABS construction that is durable and UV-resistant; Easy to clean with mild soap and water
- Min-max crossbars spacing: 23 5/8" - 29 3/4"; Max weight capacity: 100 pounds
- Cross Bars: Aluminum Bar Construction; Aluminum Mounting Brackets
- Cargo Box: Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- Capacity: 12 cu. ft. / Dimensions: 68" L x 31" W x 16" H
- Opens to 14. 75" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- Opens from the Side and Stays Open Till you Close It
- Menabo model "QUASAR" roof box with elegant profile and equipped with anti-theft lock. Quick and secure mounting via "U" hooks. Right opening side (passenger side)
- Maximum load: 50 kg / 110.2 Lb.
- Load capacity: 320 litres - Anti-theft system: Included
- Colour: rough black
- External dimensions (LxWxH) 128x90x38 cm - Internal dimensions (WxWxH) 120x82x34 cm.
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 inch
- External dimensions: 91.5 x 37.5 x 18 inches | Internal dimensions: 84.5 x 33 x 16 inches
- Roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Fits 5-7 pairs of skis / 3-5 snowboards
- Load capacity: 165 pounds | Product Weight: 55 pounds
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Full trunk access with minimal risk of contact with the cargo box, thanks to its forward position on the vehicle roof
- Easy to mount thanks to the PowerClick quick-mount system. The integrated torque indicator clicks when it’s properly mounted, ensuring fast and secure fitting
- Reinforced lid makes for a smooth, effortless dual-sided opening and closing
- An elegant, sporty design with seamless integration of the lid and the base that adds a distinctive look to any car
- A premium interior with integrated lighting and a felt-lined base for increased gear protection that enhances the user experience
- ▶️ Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H
- ▶️ Opens to 14" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- ▶️ Capacity: 10 cu. ft.
- ▶️ Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- OEM Style Cross Bars: Aluminum Bar Construction; Connects to Factory Roof Rails
- Cargo Box: Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- Overall Dimensions: 67" L x 30" W x 13" H
- Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
- Includes Mounting Hardware & (2) Keys
You May Also Like…
- Best Yakima Cargo Boxes – Review & Expert’s Guide
- Can I Put a Roof Box on a Panoramic Roof?
- How to Fit a Roof Box on Car?
- Mini Cooper Roof Box
- Top 6 Best Truck Bed Bike Racks
Last Update : 2021-07-10