There are different types of bike rack manufacturers available on the market. Yakima is one of them. They are famous for making car roof boxes, but they make bike racks also.
If you are in a hurry, then you can use the links below to buy the best roof cargo boxes for your car. You don’t need to worry about the quality of the products because we only recommend the best.
– Best for Load Capacity – YAKIMA Hangover
– Best for Extender Ski and Snowboard Carrier – YAKIMA HighRoad
– OverAll Best – YAKIMA Dr.Tray
In this article, you will find a review of some of the best available Yakima bike racks. Our testers team has tested these bike racks. They installed these racks in different types of car such as trucks, SUVs and drove up dirt roads, down highways, and uphills around town.
So, You can find all the details about these Yakima bike racks, and we hope that it will help you to find the perfect roof rack to support your bike-loving lifestyle.
Best Yakima Bike Racks Review:
1. Yakima Dr. Tray Bike Rack
The Yakima Dr. Tray is a bike rack that comes with a lightweight and attractive design. This rack’s design allows it to add a third tray to the rack without increasing the length so much. The new design of this rack comes with two support channels. The quick-release clamps can help the trays to be moved around so that you can carry bikes with almost any combination. It will be hard to find a bike with a combination that will not fit in this tray. This rack has a handle at the end of the frame for tilt adjustment and integrated cable locks to ensure the security of your bikes. The quick-release tray clamps are very useful, making the fly adjustment to avoid bike-on-bike contact a fast and tool-free operation. Dr. Tray also has front-wheel clamps that are pushed down onto the front tire.
The Yakima Dr. Tray is very easy to install with an expanding wedge design operated by a hand knob on the rack’s lower support arm. To install this bike rack, you just have to Place the rack in your hitch receiver and turn the knob to remove the wobble. This rack is very lightweight. It weighs only 34 lbs. so you can install this rack all yourself. Also, It is very easy to remove. So it won’t leave you with back pain from hefting an unwieldy rack around. The storage dimensions of Yakima Dr. Tray is L16.5 “xW58″ xH40.5”.
The mainframe of the rack comes pre-assembled. You can simply slide the trays into the pre-installed clamps on the frame. And you have to attach the rear wheel straps onto the trays after the trays are installed onto the main body of the rack to use the rack. Yakima Dr. Tray comes with a durable design. The bulk of the rack is made of aluminum. Only a few parts are made of plastic.
- CARRY 2 BIKES: Fits road, mountain and fat-tire bikes; Securely carries 26" to 29" wheels and tires up to 4.8" wide; 40 lbs. maximum weight per bike
- UNRIVALED SPACING: Up to 18" of space between each bike; Tray spacing can be adjusted (tool-free) while the bikes are loaded, eliminating any bike-to-bike interference
- EASY TO USE: Raise and lower the rack easily with the RemoteControl tilt lever; Lightweight aluminum design
- SECURE YOUR GEAR: Tool-free locking SpeedKnob for quick and easy installation to your vehicle; Included SKS cable lock system secures each bike's wheels and frame
- ADD 1 MORE: Need to carry a third bike? Add the EZ+1 Extension (sold separately) to carry 3 bikes total
2. Yakima HighRoad Bike Rack
If you are an owner of a small car, then The Yakima HighRoad is an excellent option for you. It is a decent quality rooftop bike rack. It is also better for the people who want to avoid a hitch rack. The HighRoad comes with a slick design. It can keep the bike fully secure without having contact with the frame of your bike. The design pattern of the HighRoad is almost the same as the Front Loader.
To load your bike in the rack, you have to raise the front hoop into the forward position first. Next, you have to lift the bike onto the rack by gripping the lower leg of the fork and the chainstays. After placing the bike into the rack, you have to make sure that the front wheel is pushed forward against the front hoop. You also have to raise the rear hoop to secure the rear of the front wheel as well. Lastly, secure the rear wheel with the reversible ratchet strap.
This rack is compatible with different types of bikes. The loading process is not so hard. The Yakima highroad is very easy to install. If you understand the technique, it will take you only a couple of minutes to install or remove the rack from your vehicle. This rack attaches to the car with a strap/clamp system that does not require tools.
This bike rack is very lightweight. It weighs only 18 lbs. It is very easy to store also. When the rack is not in use, you can just remove it from your vehicle and keep it in one corner of your garage.
The HighRoad can accommodate tires up to 4 inches wide. It comes with an integrated cable lock that stows away into the tray. But the locking cores are not included. So if you want to use the lock, you have to purchase the locking cores. A two-pack is available on the Yakima website for forty bucks.
- A premium upright bike mount for easy transport; Carries almost any road or mountain bike with wheelbases up to 48”, 26” to 29” wheels and tires from 23mm to 4”
- The low profile tray minimizes hatch interference; No wheel removal required and no contact with the bike frame (an ideal option for carbon fiber bikes and custom paint jobs)
- Requires a roof rack with a crossbar spread between 18" and 35"; Tool-free, universal mounting hardware fits most roof racks; T-Slot compatible with SmarT-Slot conversion kit (sold separately)
- Quickly and easily adjust and secure your bikes with the precise, integrated TorqueRight tightening knob
- Want more peace of mind? Add 2 SKS (Same Key System) locks (sold separately) to the included TailWhip cable to lock your bike and mount to your base rack (not included)
3. Yakima FrontLoader Bike Rack
The Yakima FrontLoader is a rooftop bike rack that comes with a durable and sturdy design. You will be able to carry almost every type of bike with it. Moreover, you don’t have to remove the front wheel of your bike to carry it with this rack. It can carry your bike contacting with the wheels and tires. So you don’t have to worry about your bike being scratched or damaged. But the rack comes with a relatively higher loading height than the fork mount racks. The FrontLoader is easier to use than a fork-mount rack for cars with low roof heights because on the frontloader the front wheel stays on. But for the vehicles with higher roofs, it is a little difficult to lift the bike high enough while maintaining the proper vertical angle to get a bike into the rack.
The FrontLoader is very easy to install. Moreover, the installation does not require any tools. This bike rack is compatible with almost any type of roof crossbar. A large hand knob on the front end of the rack is turned which draws the front clamp up snugly around the crossbar. It is easier to use than the U-Bolt set up or the strap clamps. The front tire clamp is not able to accommodate tires over 3″ in width. So you cannot carry fat bikes or some plus bikes with larger tires with the FrontLoader.
The FrontLoader comes fully assembled. You just have to place the rack on your roof for attachment to the crossbars. There are no included lock cores available in this bike rack. So if you want to install lock cores to increase the security system of the rack, then you will need to purchase lock cores from Yakima. It is a one time job, and it will take about 5 minutes.
The FrontLoader comes with a good design, and it is a sturdy rack. There are a lot of plastic components used in this rooftop bike rack, including the crossbar clamping mechanism.
So if you are looking for a rooftop bike rack at a good value, then you can take this.
No products found.
4. Yakima HoldUp Bike Rack
The Yakima HoldUp is a hitch-mount rack with tray-style design. It comes with a low loading height making the loading and unloading of your bikes easier. This hitch mount rack comes at an affordable price. Loading and unloading of bikes in this wreck is as same as other hitch mount racks. When you don’t need to use it, you can store it in a compact storage space by folding the wheel trays. So this feature will be very useful for you if you do not have so much space to store a bike rack. This bike rack weighs 49 lbs. so you can carry this rack from your garage to car or from car to garage very easily.
This bike rack is not so easy to assemble. The directions in the owner’s manual are accurate. But the task is not so easy at all. The trays come fully assembled, but you have to attach them with the main support. So the easiest way to attach them with the rack is in the upright position when attached to a vehicle. It will be a little bit easier if you have someone to help.
It comes with a hitch pin to mount the rack on your car. It comes with included short cables to secure your bikes. The cables are too short, so it may be not easy to loop the cable through the frame of your bike. So we recommend to buy and install an additional cable lock in the rack to ensure the security of your bike. The HoldUp comes with lock cores for cables. So you just have to buy the cables only.
The Yakima HoldUp is a sturdy, durable hitch mount tray-style rack. You can store it in a small space by simply folding it when it is not in use. So it can be a good choice if you do not have much space for storing a bike rack.
- Adventure ready: Load your bike in seconds whether it's a 20-inch wheel or a 29er; StrongArm design secures bike at wheels, protecting paint and carbon frames
- Smart design: Tilts down with bikes loaded so you can access the back of your vehicle; Accommodates disc brakes, thru-axles and full suspension bikes
- Unrivaled spacing: Carries 2 bikes out of the box, or 4 bikes with optional HoldUp +2. 1-1/4" or 2" Hitch Receiver; Side-to-side adjustability to adjust space between bikes
- Easy install: SKS Locks included for added security; +2. 1-¼-inch or 2-inch Hitch Receiver required
- We’ve got your back guarantee: Covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty
5. Yakima HangOver Bike Rack
The Yakima HangOver is a high-quality bike rack. It can accommodate up to 4 bikes at a time. This bike rack is best for bigger vehicles such as trucks, SUVs. The build quality of this rack is good enough. If you are looking for a bike rack to carry at least three bikes regularly, then Yakima HangOver could be an excellent choice for you. But if you are carrying less than three bikes, a tray-style rack would be a much better option. It is a very durable and heavyweight bike rack. The Yakima HangOver weighs 80 lbs.
The HangOver comes with a huge carrying capacity. With this carrying capacity, this rack is easy to use than other racks. The Hangover comes with a vertical configuration. And it becomes more user friendly when you load four bikes in it. But it is not as user friendly as rooftop or tray-style bike racks because it is a good option if you want to carry a lot of bikes at a time.
The Yakima HangOver is quite heavy. While weighing 80 lbs, it is not easy to carry from your garage to the vehicle. So it will be better if you have someone to help you to safely install or remove this rack off of the car and into the shed or garage.
One important thing that you have to keep in mind about this rack is that it only works with suspension forks. So if you want to carry road bikes, hybrid bikes with rigid forks, BMX bikes, and kids’ bikes with rigid forks you will not be able to do that.
As Yakima said, the HangOver has a maximum weight capacity of 37.5 lbs per bike. This is not a huge amount. Downhill bikes and E-bikes generally weigh more than 37.5 lbs significantly. So you have to think first about what you are going to carry.
The Yakima HangOver is easy to assemble. The direction given in the manual is very helpful. The assembly can take you around 45 minutes.
This rack is very durable and robust. It comes with good build quality. So this rack will last for a long time. If you are looking for a bike rack to carry a lot of bikes, then you can take this.
- More bikes, less space: Made of heavy-duty steel with a vertical orientation; Transports 4 to 6 bikes with suspension forks using minimal space, no multiple racks or trailers required
- Convenient carrying: Foot-operated tilt mechanism changes rack position for easy loading and unloading; Tilts down and out of the way for easy rear-of-vehicle access with bikes unloaded
- Supports and protects: Securely supports bikes and fat bikes by the fork crown (required for use); Soft padding protects the fork's finish; Rotating wheel cup accommodates bikes with various wheelbases
- Improved ground clearance: 3 mast height positions for improved ground clearance and ease of loading; 3 mast angles to avoid bike-tire contact with your vehicle
- Nuts and bolts: Fits suspension-fork bikes only; Fits 2" hitch receivers only; HitchLock included; Built-in bottle opener
5. Yakima ForkLift Bike Rack
The Yakima ForkLift is a high-quality fork mount bike rack. It comes with great versatility and is very easy to use. It comes with crossbar clamps so that you can mount it with any type of crossbar. The weight carrying capacity of this bike rack is 40 lbs. It has an included 9mm quick-release fork. After loading the bike, there will be no contact with the frame of your bike. With the help of the easily adjustable quick-release clamp, the loading and unloading become easier.
There are three available settings of the crossbar clamps. One setting is used for round and square bars, and the other two settings accommodate factory crossbars. The clamp lever can be based to the left or the right so that you can mount the rack on any side of your car. Yakima ForkLift is featuring tool-free installation. Moreover, the removal of this rack is also easy, and you don’t have to use any tools in removing the rack also.
The assembly of this rack is quick and straightforward with the contender. All the directions given in the manual are clear, concise, and very helpful. The Yakima forklift comes almost assembled. You just have to attach it with your crossbars to use the rack.
This Yakima ForkLift is very durable. The tray is solid, sturdy and does not seem to flex, even with bikes mounted in heavy crosswinds. It comes with lock cores to ensure the security of your bikes.
So if you want a very durable bike rack for your car, you can take this.
- Fits most disc brakes: Fits bikes that use standard 100 mm x 9 mm quick release front hubs; other hubs (such as thru-axles) require adapters
- Adjustable length: Sliding wheel tray is easy to adjust and allows for a wide range of bike lengths; Carries 1 bike up to 35 lbs.
- Roof rack required: Crossbar spread minimum of 16" and maximum of 42"; Fits YAKIMA round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Simple tool-free installation and removal
- No frame contact: ForkLift holds the bike by the front axle and the rear wheel; No frame contact means your bike's paint doesn't get scratched
- Protect your gear: Add SKS (Same Key System) locks (sold separately) to secure your bike to the rack and the rack to the vehicle
Here in this article, you read about some of the best Yakima bike racks reviews. The reviews are written after testing the racks for several months by our professional testers. To choose the perfect bike rack for you and your car we are recommending you to consider your vehicle type your bicycle type carefully, and where you live. We hope our review will help you in choosing the right bike rack for you.
-our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
Best Seller List of Bike Racks for Car:
- Ultra-compact 2 bike carrier for traveling and commuting.Ultra-compact 2 bike carrier for traveling and commutingFolds up small and fits inside carrying bag or backpack3 padded legs rest against vehicle; 3 adjustable security strapsTie downs and padding keep bike secure and separate from vehicleFits sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUVs. Important, please consult manufacturer web page for specific vehicle fit.Allen's warranty does not cover items purchased through third-party sellersImportant, please consult manufacturer web page for specific vehicle fitPadded lower frame protects vehicle from a bicycle.Fully assembled, set up, and installed in seconds.
- Folds up small and fits inside carrying bag or backpack
- 3 padded legs rest against vehicle; 3 adjustable security straps
- Tie downs and padding keep bike secure and separate from vehicle
- Fits sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUVs. Important, please consult manufacturer web page for specific vehicle fit.
- Allen's warranty does not cover items purchased through third-party sellers
- Important, please consult manufacturer web page for specific vehicle fit
- Padded lower frame protects vehicle from a bicycle.
- Fully assembled, set up, and installed in seconds.
- 17 x 6.5 x 4 inches
- Model 103D
- Fits most sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUVs
- Single configuration design eliminates headaches during set up and installation
- Patented individual tie down system secures and protects bicycles
- Lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials
- Allen's warranty does not cover items purchased through third-party sellers
- Important, please consult manufacturer web page for specific vehicle fit
- 2-bike carrier hitch ideal for road trips and camping excursions
- Fits 1-1/4- and 2-inch receiver hitches, with no-wobble bolt
- Tie-down cradle system individually secures and protects bikes
- Accommodates wide range of frame sizes and designs
- Rack tilts back for easy lift-gate access; black powder-coat finish
- Max Capacity: 70 LB
- BONES TRUNK: The iconic Bones rack has been a cornerstone of bike racks for decades; it's a tested statement of style, design, convenience, and durability (11lbs)
- COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with most vehicles frame fits over most spoilers; rubberized feet protect car and coated straps protect bike
- CAPACITY: Carries 2 bikes (35lb/bike), ratcheting anti-sway straps for a secure hold
- STRONG & RUST FREE: Strongest frame on the market; injection-molded arms and legs are the strongest on the market
- CLEAN, SLEEK LOOK: Arc–based design separates bikes on different levels; spring buckle straps with vinyl-coated hooks
- MADE IN USA: Hand built in Madison, Wisconsin with 100% recyclable materials
- Enhanced Durability: This bike rack is equipped with a hitch adapter to fit standard 1-1/4" and 2" hitch receivers, ensuring broad compatibility
- Versatile Hitch Compatibility: Designed to be used on Class I, II, III, and IV hitches, this bike rack is adaptable and suitable for various types of vehicles
- Secure Bike Transportation: Transport up to 2 bikes securely with the improved rubber bike cradles and buckle-type straps. These features allow your bikes to remain stable during travel
- Sturdy Design: The built-in locking knob keeps the main upright sturdy, minimizing wobble and enhancing stability while on the move
- Weight Capacity: The rack supports a maximum capacity of 100 lbs, with a limit of 50 lbs per bike. This ensures safe and reliable bike transportation
- Color Variation Note: Please be aware that the pad color may slightly differ, offering a variation in appearance
- Compatibility Note: Please note that our 50025 Bike Rack is designed for bikes with a horizontal top bar frame. For different style bike frames, the addition or installation of a horizontal crossbar may be necessary (not included)
- Important Note: Due to the increased distance between the rear bumper and the axle on trailers or RVs compared to cars or SUVs, using bike racks and cargo carriers in this scenario is not advisable.
- Bikes mounted on RV's, trailers, fifth-wheels may experience increased bouncing, swaying, and stress. Always use tie downs and straps during transport for added safety
- Simple, sturdy design fits most sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUV's. Consult manufacturer's Site for specific vehicle fit
- Includes bicycle adaptor bar for easy bicycle transport by adding top tube to suspension, step through, BMX, and women's style bicycles
- Individual tie-downs secure and protect bicycles
- Fully assembled, Installs in seconds
- Padded lower frame protects vehicle, and left and right side straps for lateral stability
- IMPORTANT, PLEASE CONSULT MANUFACTURER WEB PAGE FOR SPECIFIC VEHICLE FIT
- Fits all types of dual-arm bikes on vehicles equipped with either a 1.25 or a 2 inch hitch receiver. (Please check listing picture for some exemptions.)
- 4 bike capacity with sturdy and handy construction. Easy ratchet buckles. TYGER cable lock & hitch lock & security strap included. OE standard Black color E-Coating for rust resistance.
- Convenient vehicle access with tilt down feature and foldable carry arms when not in use. Soft cradles and protection pad designed to secure your bikes individually and protect your bike frames.
- Easy installation in minutes. (DIY instruction included in package.) NOTE: Both provided Safety Straps must be installed to stabilize bikes while driving. Otherwise, any resulting accident and damage will not be covered by warranty.
- TYGER No-Hassle Limited Lifetime Warranty for US customers!
- 100% assembled. Fits most Sedans/Hatchbacks/Minivans and SUV's. This WON'T FIT vehicles equipped with rear spoilers or spoilers above rear windows on Hatchbacks, Minivans and SUVs.
- Designed to fit 3 bikes (Max 99lb capacity) with sturdy and handy construction. Padded lower frame keeps bicycles away from vehicle. (Safety strap included.)
- Individual soft cradles made to protect your bike frame and secure your bikes. OE standard black E-Coating for rust resistance. Foldable carry arms when not in use.
- Easy installation in minutes. (DIY instruction included in package.) NOTE: Provided Safety Strap must be installed to stabilize bikes while driving. Otherwise, any resulting accident and damage will not be covered by warranty.
- TYGER No-Hassle Limited Lifetime Warranty for US customers!
Last Update : 2023-11-30